Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
I don't think I've ever posted in this thread, but I've followed it for quite a while, and I would really, really LOVE to see the rest of the Day After Ragnarok review finished. It appeals to the mythology geek and the budding tabletop geek in me, and whoever was talking about finishing it I would really appreciate the person that started that review finishing it because I liked your review style. I hope this doesn't sound like a random passerby begging for more skilled players to work for them, but this thread led to me starting a paranoia game for my friends and joining a shadow run game so I love hearing great systems with amazing fluff I can draw more people into trying it. anyways, TL;DR of this is you are all doing good things and I'm loving despite being new to the scene, thanks for all you've done to provide me with good newbie friendly stuff and warn me off of the creepy poo poo. Please don't let this thread ever stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've got nothing to do all week, so I'm finally going to get off my rear end and finish Charnel Houses of Europe. I've been wondering though, anyone interested in Wraith: the Great War? Since it's the 100th anniversary of World War 1 this year, I've been thinking about it a lot, and if there's anyone interested I'd do it after finishing Houses (probably at my usual glacial pace).

I'm interested for sure.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

theironjef posted:

Eh, that'd all be rad if you were playing a Norseman, but you're playing a Norse god, and they are basically universally assholes and thieves and jerks that played fast and loose with their own rules. Check out the Mead of Poetry legend, I'm pretty sure it's where the inspiration for Jotunblut came from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mead_of_Poetry

Basically, the gods made a giant by spitting in a bucket, then killed it and used its blood to make mead, knows as Mead of Poetry, that changed hands a bunch until eventually Odin stole it all. Then he dropped a bunch. It inspires people to beserker rages, poetry, and scholastic pursuits, and it's basically giant blood, or jotunblut. I agree however that they could have done better with the story. Maybe mentioning Kvasir or the mead story at all would have helped.

Actually Kvasir was killed by some dwarves and berserkers were a result of the Valkyries telling them they would become einheinjar (the warriors in Valhalla/Freya's hall) but otherwise that's pretty accurate. Also Norse gods don't just play fast and loose with their own rules, they tend to just ignore them when inconvenient. That said even the gods did not gently caress with blood oaths. Loki is kept alive until Ragnarok and leads the denizens of helheim against Asgard in the final battle. The Aesir know this will happen and Odin still refuses to let anyone kill his blood brother. I'm not sure why I just typed all this, I just really like Norse mythology.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

oriongates posted:

Nixon: Nixon can be used for diplomacy, acting and (of course) lying. He is mostly invoked negatively. One positive use is to understand a foreign culture (called Breaking Down the Great Wall). He can also be invoked to "blank" up to 18 minutes worth of video or audio recording of yourself. Most iconomancers should probably court Nixon just for that, it's invaluable as a tool for insuring your face doesn't get out in the world.

That's all for Iconomancy and Cryptomancy, next is Infomancy (nerds) and Irascimancy (assholes).
Wouldn't the fact that the audio/video exists break taboo and prevent the iconomancer from being able to actually use the blanking spell or would the caster just have to blank it in the time between when it was made and when it went public?

• Locked thread