Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Ningyou posted:

Also they loving love stepping on leaves and/or watching them fall and die (which, to be fair, i can empathise with -- I mean, have you met a leaf that wasn't a complete jerk? Every season save winter, they're all like ~~~blooms, sits there obnoxiously, falls in your coffee~~~ HA DEAL WITH IT NERD -- but even so it's kind of a weird thing to keep coming back to.)

What the hell? When I was a kid I loved stomping on leaves. They go crunch in this really awesome way. And my bike was a spaceship and the leaves were aliens and I'd zoom along the sidewalk shouting "zap zap" and crushing the leaves and saving the earth, and even now when I'm riding back from work I will still sometimes secretly run over dead leaves and whisper "zap" to myself. If they think crushing leaves is some evil sign of a lack of imagination they need to go stomp on a bunch of leaves.

And man, the description of CtD is making me kinda want to run Animal House as a Changeling game. Dean Wormer, best villain. Ah, oWoD, personal drama and tragedy, truly a darkened mirror ~~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

jef, I'm still trying to figure out why you guys actually like any of the Palladium games. Some variation on Stockholm Syndrome maybe?

For me it's basically the same reason Roger Corman films are great.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Night10194 posted:

Something that managed to be needlessly complicated in COMPARISON to 3rd ed? Holy poo poo, what did they do, make you do differential equations to determine the size of your anime sweatdrop after someone else blows up a town or something?

Basically casting is done by making a fort save when you cast, you can do lots of metamagic by varying the DC, you can stack and do team work, you can do ablative magic shields, what kinds of components you include change the DC (i.e. do you just cast it, do you shout the spell name, do you do a paragraph long invocation while the camera spins around you?), spells are different and have to be learned and you can learn different class's magic but that makes it a little different for you and you can't learn some (so Lina can cast Cure but not Rah Tilt), etc. Lots of feats are more powerful but give a disadvantage (There's one with +4 fortitude which means you have to eat your body weight in food at the inn or get really hangry). There's tons of rules for taunting people and giving them negative conditions like embarrassed or angry or scared.

And so on.

It seemed very cool, but incredibly fiddly for spellcasting, even compared to normal 3.5.

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

Kurieg posted:

There was a not-insignificant number of people who thought that Mage was actually a real and true documentary of the way the world actually worked. And that consensual reality was a real thing that the man was forcing on you.

There was a guy I knew from the local (bad) LARPs who believed he was a Cultist of Ecstasy for real and all of the books were true and being published as a Malkavian prank. The police started looking for him after they heard rumors of underage stuff. Rumor mill at the time also said he decided that several of his coven had sold him out to the technocracy, and may have been involved in two of them being found in the bay. He spent some time in prison for the underage stuff and is apparently on medication now, so there's one less customer for Brucato I guess.

• Locked thread