Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I get the feeling that 'guns to butter' spell is both a play on 'hammering swords into ploughshares' and the old guns vs butter economic model, like the Magic Bullet is probably a nod and wink to Kennedy assassination conspiracy theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
My big favourites have been mentioned, so I'll try to break newer ground. TORG. TORG really strikes me as what the Discworld eventually developed into, with its varying degrees of awareness of narrative causality and the rules that drive that set of secondhand dimensions... but in the most horribly earnest, anal-retentive way, like people discussing how peasant railguns have revolutionized warfare, without a trace of humour. I'd love to see the setting rebuilt in a way that ejects that cascading mess of Everlaws and scenarios that can only be won if certain cards are drawn in a specific order and made it a game about stories, rather than a game about being in a universe operated by the rules of a clunky 90s RPG.

Edit: I thought to say something about the Forgotten Realms, but no. Taking out Elminster and Friends would be cruelty for its own sake, and beyond that you need to dig really, really deep to find anything particularly original to salvage from that accretion of sidebars and mess.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Dec 30, 2015

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
They named the polar bear splat... polar bear. Bra-loving-vo.

From what I've heard of the Pathfinder Alien wank from a friend, it strikes me as a callback to things like Blackmoor, Expedition to the Barrier Peaks and even Metamorphosis: Alpha. Or, if you were around for the bleating about 3E being like Diablo, the Might and Magic games.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

darthbob88 posted:

I'm not sure if that's better or worse than what I thought it was, naming the dudes with Inuit ties Nanook of the North.

That's the first place my mind went, before correcting itself and doing another double-take. It's probably the same place a lot of readers' minds are going to go too, which...

...these books weren't actually edited, were they? I mean, they may have had an editor's credit, but nobody actually had the guts to hand a hatchet to the writers and tell them to murder their darlings, did they?

I don't know why it's this that's doing it to me, and not the litany of other poorly chosen 'ethnic' names that the WoD was scattered with since the beginning.

Kumaton posted:

I had no idea that furry libertarian sci-fi tabletop games were popular enough to warrant an expansion.

Furries have always been a small but absurdly lucrative market.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Outsourced editing. Jesus wept. Nobody on that project had any sense of perspective. Racial Slur of the North is bad on its face, but crypto-Jew-spider-assassins is a whole ick sandwich.

Wait. Vaguely guessing from the angle of the eyes on those two characters, they're both looking at a third... which we only see as half of a hand coming in from off-page.

Did whoever ordered the flip on that image manage to crop the actual subject out while they were at it?

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I went from wanting to hang myself at Doctor Horse Horse, to howling with laughter at a new thread discovering the joy that is Hedrack and the Angry Inch, to wanting to hang myself at a horrible piece of furry art. I don't need this kind of strain.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm looking forward to Brucato turning Changeling from 'SCAdians vs Big Pharma' into the 'Wicker Man'.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Cooked Auto posted:

From what I've heard the new Changeling book is a bit of a doozy but that's based on how some of my friends on Skype were going :wtf: over some of the new design choices in it.
Although I can say that having DiTerlizzi art is neat and all but I'm not too sure it really fits the tone because to me it just looks like Planescape art instead of something closer to Changeling.

DiTerlizzi did a fair lot of stuff for the softcover run of Changeling, so I'm not surprised that they'd dig the old colour plates out or hire him on for new stuff. He's done a lot of traditional fairy and fantasy stuff, but the ones with little diagrams and exploded figures in sepia definitely speak more of a naturalist's notebook than changelings pausing for a magickal snapshot.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
The problem with stating straight out that trans people are magic is that it's the same as saying black people are magic, or mentally challenged people are magic. Are there some people who consider themselves a mystic confluence between binary opposites, because they happen to be trans? Probably. It is an old family of tropes and archetypes, after all. Does everyone who happens to be trans cleave to that kind of identity? Hell to the no.

Brucato is claiming that Trans is Magick, probably leaning on an 'understanding' of non-Western cultures which is largely bullshit, since a lot of cultures with third genders don't actually express those beliefs.

The Mystic Hermaphrodite is the embodiment of paradox. The male/female blending and dichotomy is a large part of it, sure, but it isn't the be-all and end-all. It's not a pleasant space to exist in, and a lot of trans people would violate the most basic taboos by living the way they want to: as accepted members of their chosen gender, not an anthropomorphised Almond Joy bar. A doctor, who deals injury to cure, channels the Hermaphrodite. He may or may not be wearing panties under his scrubs. A trans person living 'stealth', holding down a mundane job where the worst conflicts and risks involve whoever rifled the office fridge, not so much.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Doresh posted:

Does anyone know whether or not the last edition of Gamma World happened before or after Wizards tried to add a bit of Magic the Gathering to 4th edition with those weird Destiny cards, or however they were called?

I don't know, but I'd guess it predates it. I don't remember any references to cards in any of my early 4E stuff, but the GW box came with a deck and an attendant collectible mechanism the stupidity of which I hadn't seen since Changeling cantrip cards.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Thesaurasaurus posted:

Right about the problem, wrong about the solution?

Most of the oWoD fans I know would read the fluff as gospel, no matter how hinky or obviously unreliable the narrator is, and fight you tooth and nail over its veracity... which is great when you're in character, playing a doomed highborn wolfchild, but doesn't leave a lot of room for discussion when it informs your assumptions about the game itself.

The writers for the core material were way too subtle. Sure, the hints are there, but I think most people look to the corebooks for objective truths about the game, like 'These are the mechanics', 'this is the history of the world', and 'these are the conceits we're building on'. When you have an unreliable narrator from the word 'go', when large portions of your player base may not even know what an unreliable narrator is or how to identify it, you're asking for trouble. And that's before metaplot rears its ugly head.

Doresh posted:

I guess it sorta works in the context of Gamma Terra, but not making it a Living Card Game was pretty silly.

4th Edition (or I think just Essentials) had these booster cards which I think you gained on a crit or so. Either failing to understand part of the charm of their Magic cards, or just being plain old greedy, the grand majority of these cards didn't actually have any artwork on them, just a generic symbol depending on the type of card.

Yeah. I like it conceptually, building on the idea of 4E's equipment wishlists and such, but if they insisted on that approach they should have sold it in LCG-style decks. It basically suffered the same issue as cantrip cards: the cards themselves weren't designed with collectibility in mind, and they were a tagalong product for an already hella niche product line: given the sheer amount of other poo poo sold in boosters, they simply weren't worth the countertop space.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

What in the gently caress again. Does this idiot have no understanding of the differences in biological plumbing required to lay an egg vs nurturing a living fetus? This isn't just some poo poo you handwave away, you gently caress. It's also explicitly described as something that the idiots who first made the Vectors implemented on purpose despite the extra difficulties. loving why.

Don't google 'oviposition fetish'. Just don't.

Kurieg posted:

The problem is that a lot of the oWoD corebook fluff is presented as gospel and not being spoken by any narrator. The splatbooks are where you get the unreliable narrator (Or in the case of Tribebook: Stargazer, ten of them).

The CofD books is where you start to see them literally stating "All of these things could be true, or none of them could be".

I may be giving the oWoD writers far too much credit, but I seem to remember passages with definite disconnections between things as practiced and things as preached, across the corebooks for different product lines. Not that any of it really matters when you end up with metaplot churning things up beyond recognition.

• Locked thread