Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Davin Valkri posted:

What he's saying is you want "Nyarlathotech: A Paul Ettin Game".

Yes, that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

iTunes has a pretty simple process, at least.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It has some really clever ideas and some really neat writing and it was written by someone who is literally insane.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The entire thing is, at first glance, just a really weird RPG with bad mechanics but neat ideas and a truly insane storyline.

And then you hit the end of the book and the author is kind of gloating about how the Van Allen Belt mysteriously has more energy than scientists originally expected, isn't that interesting and you realize that he totally buys into everything he wrote.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It is a very powerful, well-written and respectful book about a topic that no one will ever use.

At least, no one respectful.

Basically: excellent execution of a very bad idea.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dilb posted:

Bisexual/ is likely to be turned on and have sex with people regardless of gender; Po-ta-to/po-tah-to.

Either way that's just something I can't directly relate to.

Most people just aren't all the way one way or the other on the Kinsey scale. I think of myself as a straight male; I can still say that goddamn, Aldis Hodge is one sexy dude. People have exceptions. And how they react to that is part of what Monsterhearts is about. Suppose a character thinks of himself as straight but finds themselves awkwardly turned on by the weird guy in the next row. How does he react?

Does he get violent and angry over it? Entirely possible! Does he rethink his sexual identity? Also possible. There are many possible reactions, which include but do not require 'I am now bisexual.'

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Well, the thing here is that sex isn't a mechanical device. It's a trigger - when you do this, this happens. And in a game about personal melodrama, especially in high school, sexual and physical intimacy are important to address. (In Apocalypse World it's less about physical intimacy and more about emotional intimacy, and would benefit from triggering off that.)

This isn't +2 to boning or magic to have sex with someone. This is 'these are the consequences of you getting intimate with someone.'

As an aside, the gently caress is a 'believable' mechanic?

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 22, 2014

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

hectorgrey posted:

When it comes to combat in RPGS, I consider believable to mean such things as being hit with a sharp piece of metal is something you go out of your way to avoid and good armour will not only save your life if you get hit, but it also won't slow you down overly much. It doesn't have to be completely realistic; that's almost impossible anyway, but with enough concessions to reality that things don't become utterly ridiculous. A pretty good example of a game I really liked would be the writeup I did a few threads back of The Riddle of Steel - the mechanics are mostly believable (though there are a few problems), and I quite enjoyed the way it dealt with character development.

I have literally no idea what this has to do with Monsterhearts at all, a game in which medieval combat does not feature.

In fact, your definition of believability seems inextricably tied to medieval combat. Now, I like Ars Magica as much or more than the next guy, but it ain't all there is out there!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In theory, but Monsterhearts and 'working together effectively' are not always things that go together.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I picked up the Tau book they released for it and was super disappointed.

All Fire caste. You'd think Water and Air would get in for space diplomacy adventures!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I was just amused by reading how fans were upset that the Tau weren't grim enough so they were grimmed up in newer editions. I just envision some Space Marine whinging about "They hardly ever blow up their own planets, they're making us look bad!"

Yeah, I rather liked the original Tau. They were interesting, and also not horrible nazi fascists.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Night10194 posted:

People didn't get that the sad part of the Tau is that the Tau were an entire species of early-adventure Call of Cthulhu Investigators. They're the optimistic, heroic guys who would be the heroes of any other sci-fi setting running into a world where a bunch of poo poo they're physically incapable of understanding (because they don't do magic) and the hilarious, awesome misadventures that happen when that happens. Not to mention the times when they absolutely surprise some horrible monster that expects 'simple mortal technology' isn't going to be able to blow train car sized holes in its torso. Original Tau were way better, you are correct.

Also, no, the combat system in the 40k RPGs is not especially good, and it's very, very prone to rocket tag. I've had a great deal of fun with them and I think they're good games, but combat has suffered a lot from the system starting out as WHFRP2e INNN SPAAAACE and then trying to go higher powered without re-examining many of the core concepts of combat like armor penetration vs. armor value, PC wounds, static vs. rolled damage, etc. It mostly boils down to stay behind some kind of hard cover and use your most powerful weapon liberally.

I will be totally honest, I'd totally play or run a game of (original) Tau Empire colony-builders. Working together, dealing with disasters, weird inter species politics and in general being the little beacon of joy in the 40k universe.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

"Runs more smoothly than Shadowrun" is kind of the archetypical TG example of damning with faint praise.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Fossilized Rappy posted:

Next Time: Yet another warrior base class that out-Fighters the Fighter, weird deep sea prestige classes, undersea loot, and deep magic.

In fairness, the Fighter is terrible. Also, you got a dead image.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If I were gonna go for a telekinetic/telepathic type person in Mosnterhearts, I'd probably want to design it around a different thing. (Leave the psychic domination to the Queen, anyway.) I'm thinking I'd probably go for the person who provides a shoulder to everyone. The listener, who knows who likes who and who's planning what and is always sympathetic...

Until one day it all gets too much to deal with everyone else's bullshit, and they snap and start yelling at people and using all the trust they've been given against people and so on. (And, presumably, telekinetically hurl stuff at people.) Probably still Volatile/Dark, forcing them to do social interactions through their skin moves, which'd focus on being quiet and receptive and gain strings on people by helping them and listening to them and doing what they want rather than active manipulation.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Apropos of nothing, I am very entertained by the fact that 'chthonic' has come to mean 'weird, Cthulhu-esque thing', since all it actually means is 'underground.'

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, there's a reason that: A. nWoD backed off hard on supernatural cabals controlling history, and B. decided not to talk about modern politics basically ever.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tsilkani posted:

You guys need to find a copy of SenZar and review that. It's supposed to be even crazier than Synnibarr.

I have wanted SenZar for the longest time. It doesn't exist in PDF that I am aware of, and finding a hard copy is expensive. But from what I've read, while it's crazy as hell, it's actually playable, even decent as a 90s game about gonzo powergaming fantasy.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

:justpost:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kai Tave posted:

"Lack of self awareness" is a time honored White Wolf tradition. C:tD just runs the extra mile with it.

In fairness, it has at least seemed to have limited itself recently to Mummy and Exalted.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kavak posted:

Exalted I know way too well, but what's this about Mummy?

Mummy is basically the nWoD game that has decided not to learn anything from oWoD. It's not terrible the way Exalted is, it just lacks self-awareness and elegance and much of the stuff I've come to expect from nWoD.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

TN changing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

nWoD vampires can be pretty scary, but it's sure not their default state.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, nWolves kinda suck. 2e seems to be planning to change that, though.

Geists come with a lot of power out of the box. They don't really improve too much from there, but when you can deal like five to ten agg per turn, you don't really need to? But it seems to be largely unintentional.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alan-a-Dale became a record mogul, apparently.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Golden Bee posted:

Here's "Hide Your Heart":
When you remove your heart, gain the Condition 'heartless'. While it is hidden, people can’t spend Strings or inflict harm on you.

Okay, so...I can't be harmed, and people can't socially harm me, and the cost is a Condition, which is pretty meaningless because I am largely immune to negative consequences.

Why would anyone think that's a good idea?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Getting +1 to social rolls against you doesn't really matter much when people can't do much with that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Another thought on the Giant: sure, I'll accept that there are still things that can be done to get strings on the Giant while heartless, and that this is useful.

It still largely shuts down the avenues of conflict with the skins that are bad at social and whose reaction to conflict is usually 'escalate to violence' - the Dark/Volatile skins, especially. Now, one can argue that it was designed for an entirely different set of basic moves - and that it may work quite well with them! But I'd never want to see it in a game that didn't use those.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cythereal posted:

A nitpick I also personally have with the Harpy is that it just isn't evocative of a supernatural beastie. Yeah, harpies are a known mythological critter that have been slain by many a dungeons and dragons character, but I'm not getting any fluff to go with the crunch here. Nothing about the harpy screams "bully to the point of driving someone to suicide." A demon or a revenant, sure, but the harpy just feels... random.

Actually, this is exactly what harpies did in Greek myth. They were torturers and punishers of the wicked. Their most notable appearance is when they were set to torment the prophet-king Phineus of Thrace, who Zeus blinded and put on an island with an eternal banquet, which the harpies would defile and steal and keep him from ever getting to enjoy. They are similar in this way to the Furies, but aren't the same critters. The harpies never especially cared if they were right to punish someone, see, they just enjoyed it.

Not that I like the Skin, mind, but it is accurate.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Harpy's not passive aggressive.

It's just aggressive, straight up.

Honestly it'd probably be a lot less objectionable if it was passive aggressive, since then it wouldn't be quite as actively stomping all over one person over and over and over and over until they literally try to kill themselves. Since, you know, it'd have to be hurtful in somewhat more indirect ways.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Clipperton posted:

Is he aping Warren Ellis's 'pompous dickhead' style here? Or is Ellis a fan of his? Who came first?

Ellis is a better writer, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Clipperton posted:

I don't know if this is 'damning with faint praise' or not.

I legitimately enjoy most of Ellis' work, and Planetary is my favorite comic ever.

Dude's definitely got an ego, though.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Not all of those are bad, just most.

In fact, basically all flaw lists except Ars Magica's.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The hell is wrong with her face?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Yeah, it really shouldn't need to be said but harassment is not cool. Don't encourage harassment! Don't do that! Why would you even think that's okay?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I sincerely hope the Mummy is mechanically encouraged to spread jock itch, because that would just be the dumbest thing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SuddenConsequences posted:

Is it just me or does this sound a little too much like "Bitch needs to learn some respect"? Like, it's the MC's job to throw the players curveballs and make their lives difficult, not to "teach them a lesson". At the very least it's needlessly antagonistic and running contrary to what the actual Skin tells the player to do but drat if this doesn't sound like he had a specific person in mind who he thought needed to be knocked down a peg or two. Never mind the idiocy of calling Cursed Idols a primary tool when it's completely optional to the Skin.

Keep in mind the skin's stuff also seems to treat Soulmates as a primary thing when it's also completely optional. Topher seems to just have not understood the problem there.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

Honestly I wish they had just stuck to their guns and said "No you can't raise people from the dead" rather than "Well maybe if you're super super lucky in magical fairy land you can."

Can't a ton of the guys in the war game Rez folks as long as part if the nut still exists?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cythereal posted:

That or most of them start channeling Fall-From-Grace and specializing in slaking needs and lusts that aren't sexual.

Can I play Old Eastern European Mother Succubus, whose specific need is for filling, beet-based cooking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Tulul posted:

I think about restarting that occasionally, but I was in the middle of the rules chapter when I left off, and every time I go back to look at it it's just uuuuuugh. Maybe I'll skim ahead and get to the interesting/mockable stuff.

Or

You might look at HERE ARE DRAGONS and think, "terrible furry Eclipse Phase knock-off", and you would be wrong.

Because this is someone's lovely furry libertarian Eclipse Phase knock-off!

The worst part is that I loving recognize that thing. I mean, not specifically, but I have run into the sci fi furry centaur people before and I have to ask: is that picture a picture of a stupid hermaphrodite thing?

Because if so this rabbithole goes down, down, down.

• Locked thread