Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astus
Nov 11, 2008
My first ever experience with the Rogue Trader rpg, a bunch of Imperial Navy deserters tried to stage a desperate boarding action to take over our ship while the Rogue Trader was away. I remember coming up with a plan to try and corral the boarders into a killzone, still thinking like I would in any other rpg. Then the Rogue Trader manages to get back and promptly negotiates with the boarders: they join our crew and get paid, and the Navy is never alerted to where the deserters went. The leader of the deserters agrees, and then gets punched in the gut by the Rogue Trader and thrown in the brig for putting his fellow crew members in danger.

I can't think of any other rpg where you can just throw money at any and all of your problems, which requires the players and the GM to get creative about what would be a fun challenge. Regular enemies are no threat, because the PC's will have the best equipment money can buy (and more), and could just throw a personal army at whatever they want. Or nuke the planet from orbit. Or call in favors with the Inquisition or Space Marines. And the players have a ship, so if something gets too dangerous and there's no money to be made, they can and will gently caress off to some other system.

Basically, Rogue Trader is weird because it requires the players to create their own goals they care about, and the GM needs to find ways to attack the PC's wallets instead of throwing physical threats at them. It's not an easy system to "get", but it's absolutely amazing when everything comes together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread