Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think a big problem with the perception of Williams and TSR is that most the other principal actors are these mythologized gaming icons. Gary Gygax is held up on a pedestal even though he made terrible business choices and most likely spent most of his time during the Hollywood period using TSR money on hookers and blow. After reading the history of the gaming industry in the 70's it's pretty obvious that the founding fathers of D&D were incompetent, consistently misjudged the market, failed to innovate, and were unnecessarily vindictive against other hobbyists.

TSR was killed mostly by Dragon Dice and unsold backstock, which killed most companies from that era in the 90's. The Buck Rogers stuff didn't sell well but it's not like Indiana Jones or some of the other pre-Williams side stuff sold well either. The infamous no playtesting rule, which apparently might not have been a thing, wasn't that big of an issue as well because no one was playtesting their books or editing them during that era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

What was that like? I remember they even made a PC game out of it and I saw it once on G4TV or whatever the equivalent of it was in 90s and seeing 3d dice get thrown across the monitor blew my teenage mind.

It was kind of like the Marvel Dice Masters game but they had more than d6's. This was also in 1995, back when Magic the Gathering was a high concept game and no one was ready for anything collectible like that beyond a card game.

The game had no real branding too which I think hurt it big time. All the dice were just generic D&D monsters. The thing that helped Marvel to me is that when you buy those dice, it's a character you're probably intimately familiar with. You want Cyclops, Magneto, or Spider-man because not only are they good in the game, I don't actually know if this is true so don't hold it against me, but you also want them because you like the characters. Very few people are going to get excited at the prospect of owning a die that's a "remorhaz" or a "beholder" without a stat card with artwork that grabs the player.

I think Dragon Dice is only really getting a shot now is because of word of mouth over the Internet, gamers having this nostalgia for the "good ole days", and the fact that people are so familiar with collectible everything it's now a lower concept item.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
My favorite recent CCG rose tinted nostalgia glasses was an article from Kotaku that a friend posted on FB about how the Decipher Star Wars card game was a perfect, balanced experience that should still be made and played to this day. The friend totally believed it too even though he used to bitch about power creep and the last sets when the game was still going. :psyduck:

Everybody remembers how cool the EU sets were because they had real people portraying characters like Mara Jade but no one remembers the convoluted set only rules and a rule set that relied on silver bullet cards.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MadScientistWorking posted:

Supposedly, the Blumes used TSR to acquire latchook rug kits but with Wikipedia being Wikipedia its not exactly something I would believe right off the bat.

There's something about that in Designers & Dragons: The 70s. I believe they were propping up the business of a relative under the banner of diversifying the company's portfolio. There's nothing especially damning but that's because the book is really objective about everything and doesn't take sides.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm surprised no one brought up the other two original Doctor Who RPGs, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Doctor_Who_Role_Playing_Game, and Time Lord, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Lord_(role-playing_game). They're both probably on par with the other licensed RPGs from that era and Time Lord was apparently released for free online. Adventures in Time and Space isn't a bad game by any stretch and it does a great job of using story elements from all of the seasons as adventure material instead of relegating you to being a random loser who will never be as good as the Doctor. It's also being supported by Cubicle 7, they're almost caught up with the Doctor books, and is pretty well received. The older ones would be better.

I don't think the older games will elicit the same response AITAS would because these deal with the 8th Doctor at most and most of the Who fans are obsessed with the second generation of Doctors. You might get the old time Who fans who carry on about how much better written and meaningful their show was when it was just inflatable couches eating people and the Doctor being chased through a quarry by a guy in a rubber suit. That's about on par with the people who really care about Elric these days.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's a shame they never made the Weird Science TV show game. It had a great deal of potential.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nippon Tech

Mostly because I'm pretty sure it'll end up being like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Km6bFBSVty4

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

You're actually not that far off, except in Nippon Tech they expect you to kill yourself if caught. If you won't kill yourself, they'll take care of that for you.

So it is pretty racist.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm actually kind of surprised that Nippon Tech is taking the lead here.

Nippon Tech: ****
Nile Empire: *
Living Land: **
Orrorsh: **

e: Not to sway people's votes, but NT not only has Torg martial arts, but also has some pretty hilarious predictive 90's slightly-higher-tech.

Is it this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXGsvlnn1Cs

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh God, it's like the tech breakdown of the computers in the novel version of Jurassic Park.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

The peak came at the very end of 1989 and the Nikkei lost a third of its value in the following year. The bubble burst, and I think the impact was felt quickly in Japan, but I think the idea of the Japanese economic juggernaut continued in the Western imagination for a few years.

I used to read a blog by a guy who followed his dream to live in Japan and study karate there, and he went because he had been sold on the idea that any half-fluent Westerner could get a job as an English teacher in the booming Japanese economy. He went there in 1993, and had a difficult year.

A good deal of the initial impact of the bubble bursting was in the real estate and lending market so unless you were buying a house in Japan, you didn't see it unless you closely followed Japan and ignored the "experts". This is also the early 1990's so people don't have the Internet and finding out what's going on in another country, especially in Asia, that isn't a big event can be difficult. I also think Japanese corporations and banks were actively hiding things from lenders and investors because it was on the level of the Great Depression in some cases. The bubble bursting was initially more of a lead into economic stagnation which was offset by massive public works projects pumping money into constituencies, most of them rural*. There was a belief well into the late 90's that economic crisis just didn't happen in Asia because the rules were different, everyone helps everyone, or some other Orientalist garbage. People just looked at the numbers too, like they do with China today, and didn't look at the micro issues effecting Japan. Now Japan is feeling the impact of the 90's because building highways to nowhere and paving rivers doesn't build a competitive economy.

*Japan is afflicted by the same "rotten boroughs" problem Britain was in the 19th century but they won't fix it. LDP legislators from rural, dying, constituencies wield inordinate power due to the voting districts not being restructured and then win votes through pork barrel spending. The supreme court has told the Diet that the makeup of the Diet is unconstitutional and the Diet just laughs.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

My favorite bit of BJ Zanzibar stupidity were the were-squirrels that were stronger than the Garou in every conceivable way.

Are they just were-foxes that exist everywhere then?

Were-foxes could learn any changing breed or tribal/whatever gift or rite. They also had access to broken origami magic and were the only changing breed to survive the apocalypse. Not in the sense that they're written as surviving in the Apocalypse book but in the Hengeyokai book they're guaranteed to be the only changing breed to make it to the next age. Their metis were also perfect beings and super rare/special. They are problem World of Darkness character incarnate.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

People beat Sauron up all the time, so presumably by now some hero has definitely confiscated his tech and can therefore cure cancer. So why haven't they? Maybe Iron Man is also busy turning people into dinosaurs.

Wakanda has cured AIDS but won't give the cure to the other nations of Africa because they would "abuse" it. Black Panther is a stone cold mother fucker.

This is from the terrible Reggie Hudlin run of Black Panther where every white hero and villain was racist.

EDIT:

Kurieg posted:

For everyone else, Iron man's still evil as far as I am informed.

It's called capitalism.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

RE- Space 1889 Savage Worlds: I could see that actually working. The story has potential. Like a few of the other games we've covered, it suffers from being a decent kernel of an idea that the author did their level best to bury under thick layers of boring obsessive half-relevant detail. It was the same with Furry Pirates, which y'know, if you were to change the name to like "Cartoon Pirates" could have some potential. I wouldn't mind playing something like Disney's Robin Hood only set on a pirate ship, that'd be fun! But instead it's 150 pages of someone's book wikipedia entry on the age of piracy, only with Furry replacing Man.

In this case it's 120 pages of British colonial boosterism, only they add a section at the end of each column that says "also, on Mars." Like "British are basically taking over the whole planet and really sticking it to those elephant-worshipping Indians. Also on Mars!" Then they top that sundae with literally three pages of diagrams and discussion on the function and design of canals.

It's peak GDW. They come up with some interesting concepts but they're often held back by too much detail on unimportant things. It's also telling that their most financially successful book was a book of facts on US military hardware that they put out right before the First Gulf War.

Just imagine a game company of grogs who play historical wargames and get mad because your Panzers are the wrong color for the Spring of '43. Alternatively, TG versions of Walter from the Big Lebowski.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Space 1889 is creator owned and licensed out to other companies like most former GDW properties that you see around.

When GDW voluntarily closed its doors in 1996, most properties were given to their original creators. This is why Marc Miller has the rights to Traveller and licenses it out to people.

EDIT: Designers & Dragons is a great series by the way even though it's a little too comprehensive at times.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 28, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Can someone give a breakdown of Zir'an? It sounded interesting but there's not much out there on it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

Arguably, it's a subgenre spun out of another subgenre. Tokatsu specifically. Whereas toku is male oriented and features mostly science based or extraterrestrial based powers (at least initially), magical girls are the opposite with magical sources and female oriented. Both run off of some sort of emotion with friendship/camaraderie as part of it. Hot-bloodedness, courage and bravery in toku and love, kindness and hope in magical girls. They're both two sides of the same four colored and sometimes campy coin.

This is all pretty true.

Sailormoon, which was the first big magical girl series, shares a lot of similarities with Saint Seiya. Saint Seiya is pretty much magical boys and shares a similar team motif. There had been magical girl series before but they were more Kamen Rider-esque and more geared towards young men like Cutey Honey.

Saint Seiya was one of the biggest series of the 1980's so it's not a shock they would copy some of the dynamics from them because everyone started doing it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kai Tave posted:

What I mean is that the people complaining about Blue Rose's venisonocracy probably weren't similarly impassioned over, say, the various lines of succession and forms of government in the Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk, and in most D&D gaming groups how the king of such-and-such gets put on the throne is probably, at most, a background detail that never really matters in the course of actual play. But for some reason the fact that Aldis' sovereign gets picked by a divine, otherworldly force that just happens to take the form of a magic deer is a huge problem, and I'm inclined to think that it's only a problem because people upset about Blue Rose were looking for any and everything they could point to and decry as bad.

Most of the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk are composed of oligarchies at that. You pretty much only get to be a ruler through magic or cash.

So when King Arthur draws or is given Excalibur or when Donald Blake wield's Thor's hammer, is that the work of social justice warriors as well?

It's pretty much a concept that's existed in storytelling since the dawn of time so you know who the good guy is without going through that person's whole backstory or take the time to build them up into a hero from nothing.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jul 24, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Count Chocula posted:

That sounds like a Danger 5 character.
I've long been intrigued by Dreamhounds of Paris. How accessible is it to non-gamers? I know people who love the time period and the art scene but who haven't played any RPGs.

Gumshoe is a pretty rules light, narrative focused system that is easy to learn but Dreamhounds is super ambitious. You would really have to modify it to play it with non-RPG people because it's incredibly high concept for even experienced gamers.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Bieeardo posted:

Explains Cohen the Barbarian.

I remember the 2E High Level Campaigns book, where they talked about level limits, and the author was absolutely bugfuck rabid about enforcing them on epic level campaigns, official optional rules be damned. 'If you aren't playing with level limits, then you aren't playing D&D'. Thanks greatly, Skip, you sack of poo poo.

I also remember the FR Elves of Evermeet book, where, in addition to rotating fields of invisible spheres of annihilation protecting the island, and solar (and lunar) death ray mirrors protecting the island, there was a tree transplanted to the middle of the joint that allowed elves to say bollocks to level limits. So there were a fair few 20/20/20 multiclasses kicking around... but they'd snap back to core rules limits if they ever left the island.

What a loving rear end-backwards set of rules. Sure, you might have a subtle edge on survival at first, but it isn't until mid-level, when spells and equipment and rising math close the gap, that the actual penalties kick in.

I think it's a tradition of the 80's and 90's to have impenetrable Elven homelands. Tir Tairngire in Shadowrun was the same.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Tir Na Nog wasn't exactly welcoming, either.

I kind of forgot about them because anytime anything starts going on about how magical and full of elves/fairies Ireland is, my eyes glaze over and I black out. An Elvish Israel was a better concept despite the terrible execution, which they've been dealing with lately oddly enough.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Flavivirus posted:

Pretty certain sex hitler was Dali's creation - one of his many efforts to shock the other surrealists though transgression. Like a lot of the weirder stuff in this book, it's a direct reference to an event that actually happened!

It is. Dali was quite obsessed with Hitler, not in a believing in fascism sense but as a mass figure and fascination.

Dali wasn't a Stalinist or communist either like a good deal of the movement and Breton disliked him for that. Dali disliked both ideologies but didn't say bad things about fascism or Franco because he wanted to visit Spain again.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

They already recast a West African non-dragon god as a dragon, I figure they'd just say that your sire is the legendary monkey dragon Son Wukong and call it a day. After all, having a soul that isn't a dragon wouldn't be cool. I'm sure this was made during one of those long periods where cartoon weren't cool. Making this game now would be impossible without also including that your soul might be that of a mythic pony.

That would be pretty funny because the Dragon of the East Sea is a major character in Sun Wukong's early adventures.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cooked Auto posted:

To answer your question, C3P0 did talk to the Ewoks in ROTJ.
Which might also explain why you don't remember that part. :v:

He most likely created their new religion by telling them the Campbell mono-myth.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

unseenlibrarian posted:

At a guess, Wick's probably talking about the whole Courtly Love thing there, which: A: Really more of a French thing and B: Pretty much almost entirely a literary convention instead of a thing real people actually did.

This. It's kind of like people's obsession with Bushido.

EDIT: Which, without even thinking about it, is another Wick thing.

I can't wait to see his new version of 7th Sea.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 21, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are there any videos of Wick gamemastering? I just want to see the way he handles himself and the player's reactions.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
John Wick is pretty much the equivalent of that rear end in a top hat who comes into the game store and talks at you about his "amazing" campaign and how stupid his players are. All of this right down to his too detailed descriptions and obsession with Bayushi Kachiko.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'm rusty on Ascension but I dooon't think that's how that works. :ohdear:

It doesn't. Hedge magic is mundane and allowed by the consensus of reality so it doesn't invoke paradox. Awakened or enlightened magic are completely different and only superficially appear to be similar. The player wouldn't be incurring a residual backup of paradox from using hedge magic, just like a theoretical physicist wouldn't for writing up their theories on quantum mechanics. For those unfamiliar with Mage, those two might not seem related but they're two ends of the spectrum in the Ascension War.

Wick could run it that way but it's just a dick move all around, done for no reason other than to gently caress over the player.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Dec 23, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

occamsnailfile posted:

So, I'm in the minority here who doesn't think Wick was being a total tool with the Nick scenario. Nick wanted to play a Mage; Wick started him out as unawakened but kinda magical. Violating the WoD theme doesn't bother me since it's full of swiss cheese holes already. He then used Nick's ambition to offer him what he wanted with a large raise in the stakes and it sounded like it was pretty exciting, but they all survived in the end.

Now, I think what ARB was getting at in the review was the posturing threat--"I'll kill you if I can" being kind of a disingenuous way of explaining the plan to seriously endanger the PCs if they go down this road. The other problem was that Nick's choice plunged the whole party into extreme peril, and I hope there was table discussion with the other players about this decision before it was made.

So Wick still comes off as a smug jerk but I feel like this story shows he has learned at least a little from his spine-snapping mother-killing days in Champions.

Really this whole book comes off as a whole lot of :smaug: smeared liberally over a few bits of genuinely good advice, and really poorly-researched historical comparisons. I'd expect no less from the creator of Legend of the Five Rings of course. (no hate for 5R, but its issues have been covered in this thread a lot already)

This is all true and shows some growth.

I elaborated on this because this isn't so much theme breaking, it's mechanic breaking to have paradox fall on him in that manner. By the rules as written, nothing should happen to him. After he becomes awakened, he has plenty of opportunities to get hosed now that he's in a whole new dangerous world.

There's nothing wrong with upping the stakes and there are plenty of avenues for that but how he handled it was unsurprisingly done poorly.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I just want to finally make a vampiric werewolf. The World of Darkness has held us back for too long with its prejudice against mixed races.

Abominations have been a thing since second edition Werewolf the Apocalypse. They have perpetual werewolf depression but it's still an embraced werewolf.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

theironjef posted:

Here is an Afterthought for you guys, hopefully you want to discuss favorite campaign settings with us.

I like Traveller 2300AD a lot and it's probably one of my favorite space settings because it doesn't fall into a number of traps space sci-fi normally falls into. It was also a setting made by a proto-Microscope like system.

Edit: Isn't Wick's Scorpion waifu his creepy, "perfect" version of his ex-wife, not an actual PC?

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 29, 2015

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Halloween Jack posted:

It's kinda sad how literally every take on Carcosa is better than Derleth's. Even all the dumb irrelevant stories in A Season in Carcosa.

Derleth is the only writer I know of who could completely mess up a well known Lovecraft alien race on top of it all being in a serious story that had multiple Edgar Allen Poes.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Isn't this making fun of Golarion, the Pathfinder setting? Even if it isn't, it's uncanny how close they are but I guess that comes from being the most generic of generic settings.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PurpleXVI posted:

So, Hc Svnt Dracones had its first expansion officially launched today. Is everyone tired of it or does anyone want to hear what 200 pages and 14 dollars gets you?

It's got more options!

More lore!

Apparently also robot dogs and squidcats!

I think the answer is always yes.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
When I saw it pop up on Drivethru, I immediately thought it was the core book, which is $3, with extras. $14 for a source book seems steep when the core is $11 cheaper. The name doesn't help things either.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Covok posted:

On the subject of the name, what does Hc Svnt Dracones mean? Is it some bastardization of latin?

"Here be dragons."

It's such a weird game. I did a double take when Roleplaying Public Radio interviewed the creator, who seemed normal enough. It was just really shocking to see that in my feed.

EDIT:

Beaten

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PurpleXVI posted:

Hc Svnt Dracones: Extended Core

They actually managed to fit those lovely, Nomura anime pants on a creature with a god drat flipper.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

I'm not sure if there are plant changelings, but the closest thing in Werewolf are some of the stuff from Book of the Wyld and he had less than no part in that.

There's a group of Inanimae, elemental and inanimate object Changelings, called the Kuberas who are usually anchored to a tree. They're kind of dryads but they're not really addressed beyond the book they appear in, like everything else in Changeling.

Changeling has a ridiculous amount of ridiculous character types. It's like 3.5 or a Star Wars RPG when it comes to the number of character racial types there have.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 4, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just to give an idea of how deep this rabbit hole goes if the write up for Changeling the Dreaming ever gets this far. http://wod.ottershome.net/types/chankith.php The ones with book page listings are official ones.

The Hsien though aren't really changelings or fae even, they're weird Japanese spirit creatures that gain their power units from people praying at shrines.They had no connection to the dreaming and had no idea what a changeling was. I would have liked to been a fly on the wall for that meeting where the Changeling person had to pitch something for Year of the Lotus and had nothing.

Most the other game lines were essentially ravaged by globalization but Changeling just about had a special regional kith, fae, or whatever they could slap a Changeling the Dreaming logo on to get some rabid fan to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Doresh posted:

*Goes to write up a Changeling character that is a catgirl ninja maid in case he ever finds a Changeling campaign to derail*

It'll be great because you won't even be able to perceive anything Changeling related going on unless they dose you with glamour, which is pretty much magic LSD. It would just be a bunch of crazy people carrying on and doing some SCA stuff but with garbage. Also, probably kidnapping and trafficking children.

That's how stupid that whole thing was. Not only are they not Changelings, or related to them in a round about way, they can't even see their miens, the dreaming, or powers. Your character would also probably die in an area outside of East Asia because you're not getting prayer kickbacks.

• Locked thread