Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It also bears mentioning that the Hsien magic system was hella busted. With some balancing and limitations, it probably would be okay (better than the Cantrip system by far, but that ain't saying much), but as it was written you could easily drop the roll-over difficulty to 2-4 for your core magic type, meaning Nyan could do things like 10+ levels of damage with no dodge.

Burn in your golden hell, meow.

Pretty much all of the Year of the Lotus stuff was busted. I think it was part of the selling strategy, get the anime fans and bring in the rest with the overpowered character options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To an extent. Changeling was relatively underpowered compared to just about any other core game, though. So any competent supernatural type was "overpowered" compared to some of the dogshit changelings had to trudge through, like having to rank a Realm up to 5 just to do offensive effects against foes or having to blow Glamour and Willpower just to use their innate abilities against normal people.

Balance in oWoD was always sufficiently hosed and never at any time became any less hosed.

It was, there's no doubt about it. It's kind of the opposite of Mage where thematically it doesn't fit with the others and the power level difference makes crossovers unlikely.

The Hsien were probably just an idea someone had and they couldn't figure out where it went. They probably never playtested it either and wanted it to sell. Make them really powerful as a selling point, which was undoubtedly one of the biggest selling strategies during that era. If you look at all the one off stuff they introduced, like mummies, they're really powerful but not much else can be said about them. Lines that were given longer lives like Hunter were weak or moderately to very powerful like Demons. This might be giving them too much forethought though because favorites of the writing staff would get all kinds of over powered toys while the unloved ones would get mediocre to terrible stuff.

Year of the Lotus was especially hosed because it had gems like the kitsune to go with all of the Kuei-Jin, Black Rain late 80's, early 90's Nipponophobia that was still a thing I guess in the late 90's. They wanted everything to be more powerful in Asia for some reason, along with massive heapings of Orientalism.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nessus posted:

Tribes in W20 also had at least some flex in it - I think they did anyway. Was there a formal way to change tribes? Like over half of them seemed like you could join them from other tribal backgrounds or as a random lost cub. COGgies, Bone Gnawers, Black Furies (if female), Stargazers maybe, etc. I think you could even join the Uktena if you were an outlander. (Not the Wendigo tho, presumably.)

One of the Second Edition iconics is a white Wendigo Philodox named Evan Heals-The-Past.

I think he was part Native American but I remember him having no idea about any of that. I would imagine the totems would be down with anyone they deemed worthy.

EDIT: I think the strictest one was Griffin because the Red Talons were strict on the no homids rule.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jan 5, 2016

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

As far as Griffin, he's legitimately insane and the Talons have the totem they want.

Red Talons were one of the biggest reasons I had for why werewolves needed a morality trait.

A vampire kills someone and degrades into a monster. Supposed agents of balance in the world destroy a town and raze it to the ground, suffer no consequences and are still Gaian.

Chronicles of Darkness was such an improvement mechanically speaking it's not even funny.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kavak posted:

Fatal Friends 2016: The Neverending Storygame II: The Next Edition

Fatal Friends 2016: The Neverending Storygame III: Dream Warriors

• Locked thread