Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Midjack posted:

Jon and Jef:

Bakshi's Wizards movie that you did in Movie Mastery? Someone made an RPG with at least one supplement.

You know what must be done.

Wow, one copy on Amazon for 43 bucks. I'll buy that with Christmas money, since it sounds amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

Thanks for the Dr. Magnethands recommend. I was surprised you actually answered my question about drunken roleplaying, but I promise my next question to you will be much more random and stupid.

We play it at the local store on their 40k league night sometimes. Immediately becomes the most fun thing in the building.

Generally though, we buy the cheapest board game on the used rack and play that. Some of them have been real winners, and some of them have been old trivia games where the questions don't make any sense.

Midjack posted:

Pm me a PayPal address, I'll chip in for that.

Pope Guilty posted:

I might still have my copy (don't remember if I sold it or not)- if I do, it's all yours.

we don't have a paypal set up for System Mastery, but you can use mine if you want (Jon will keep me honest). It's theironjef at gmail. But definitely let Pope check to see if he's got a copy. That game sounds like a legit win, given how extremely annoyed Wizards left us.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Midjack posted:

Just kicked a paypal to the above address. Thanks for doing your podcasts!

Received! I'll purchase that copy and we'll get on it soon!

Edit: Purchased. It is on the way to San Diego from Alaska, just like any right-thinking person would be.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Dec 17, 2015

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I don't usually post the movie episodes in here, since this is a gaming forum, but what the hell, here's Movie Mastery Holidayathon 2 - The Star Wars Holiday Special just because it's Star Wars.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Yeah, Boba Fett's role in the holiday special is basically smacking a friendly dinosaur and telling sorry lies on strawberry jelly planet. Based solely on that appearance, he sorta sucks.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I continue to support Play Dirty. It makes me feel better about my own gaming experience due to my distance from Wick.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Wick: "Who's holding the light?"

"Oh, well I'm a dwarf so I don't need one."

"Gnome"

"Elf"

"gently caress it, I cast Light."

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Don't put his straw men out of work, Jef! It's the only thing they have left after the invention of crow repellent. :(

Players: "How are we seeing the orcs?"
Wick: "What?"
Players: "None of us are holding a light, and we've managed to get this far into the dungeon, and you just described a scene of orcs doing stuff. How did we see that?"

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

We could probably argue terminology all day, but a Killer DM isn't necessarily a sadist. The players may be onboard for that style of GMing, it could be assumed (like in early tournament play) and it's possible for the DM to be scrupulous. (I once had a Shadowrun party get wrecked by a Killer DM who warned us beforehand. We got screwed over, not because he was a dick, but because he interpreted some rules too liberally for the NPCs' benefit. I digress.) But Wick doesn't want to kill PCs as much as he wants to drag them through the mud. His fun is predicated on loving with the players and their expectations for the game. Killer DMing can be part of the assumed social contract for the game, but Wick gets off on violating the social contract, whatever it is.

The problem, at least in all his examples, is that his mud drag is always supposed to be either a "I'm smarter than you players" moment or just a surprise. And since he is demonstrably not as smart as he thinks he is (his orc example is predicated on the party somehow navigating their way through to that room of the dungeon having been lightless and unchallenged about it prior to the gotcha moment), his players are basically encouraged to do the exact same thing he's doing, namely getting into pedantic smart guy arguments ("there's no way we made it into this room without light, so obviously one of us had a light out and your granting the orcs free initiative couldn't possibly have made sense"). The thing I always wonder is how he would react to a player playing the way he DMs. All like he says "the orc swings a greasy rusted blade at your temple" and the player responds with "I punch him in the nerve center bundle in his upper arm rendering his sword arm inactive, then put him in a half nelson and walk him off a cliff. Initiative doesn't matter because just swinging a sword is a gambit that an idiot would do, or perhaps a baby."

Generally, the end result of any of his story examples is him coming across more like Dwight Schrute than any sort of badass storyteller.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Also I'm pleased that having written an RPG qualifies me to critique his work, which is characterized by being poo poo, the kind primarily found in or near butts. Woo! Duckman pays off again.

And hey, just because I forgot to post it this morning, here's System Mastery 59: Immortal the Invisible War Part 2. It's mainlining crazy directly to your ears.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

We take that risk every two weeks and it has blown up in our faces at least once (people were happy to tell us that Cthuhlutech is bad).

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

The background of the Magical Witch Girls completely slipping under your radar was also rather surprising, even to me too.

As I recall we did bring up some tonal issues with the whole "no repercussions, not a cartoon" style the game had, but yeah, since we don't research in advance the horrors of Lucinda had to be delivered to us later via forum and so on.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Here is an Afterthought for you guys, hopefully you want to discuss favorite campaign settings with us.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Kavak posted:

I want to see that opening filmed.

We watched like half an hour of those old sex line commercials to get lines for that. They're on youtube and are very worth the time.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

You guys are forgetting a side of Wick, where he gets all weird and possessive when his player is a cute womangirl. Then it's "You want to play [thing]? Why sure and you're even more powerful, but I will leer at you constantly and make weird remarks every time you do anything!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

NGDBSS posted:

When did he do this? I'm not doubting you given all the poo poo I've heard about him, but I don't happen to remember that amongst things like the player who came to sessions just to glower while his character was in prison/the hospital recuperating.

ARB posted the excerpt from the last Play Dirty, I think it might have even just been called "The Girl" and it started with him expounding on how certain women are actually girls based on how bouncy they are, and ended with him triumphant over how she physically shrunk away from him every time he talked to her, basically. Granted in his mind she's retreating from like... possibility or something.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Simian_Prime posted:

Also going to say that despite my Planescape love, it's still neck-in-neck with Eberron. I like the fact that Eberron takes so many D&D troupes and turns them on its head, particularly since it's the first setting to outright say "there's no such thing as Always Chaotic Evil."

You know, I really dug Eberron too. I loved that they went all in with the new takes on the races in 4e, like that gnome city that was full of fey assassins trying to one-up each other. Notably Forgotten Realms responded to the new race takes by introducing subraces that were just the old ones, so meh.

Outside of D&D, I'd say my favorites remain the insane world of a (home balanced) Rifts Underseas and the post-apocalypse of 7th edition Gamma World's Gamma Terra.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

echopapa posted:

I usually play in 13th Age’s gonzo fantasy setting and the Star Wars universe, but I’m interested in Warbirds (1920s celebrity sky pirates) and Tropicana (modern banana republic).

Ever since playing Crimson Skies on the original Xbox I have dreamed of a game that's retro-futurist biplanes taking off from blimp bases. I don't care if it's realistic or TaleSpin, I just want it.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Isn't this making fun of Golarion, the Pathfinder setting? Even if it isn't, it's uncanny how close they are but I guess that comes from being the most generic of generic settings.

Would just need "Sexy gypsies" and "Wait, sexy gypsies again?" to be perfect.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

So, I have a copy of the Ralph Bakshi's Wizards RPG sitting here now. It's amazing to think there could be worse art of Wizards floating around in the world than what is present in the film, but here we are.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

At least it has those little snaps in the front to get past the obvious question of how did it put that bathing suit on. Though in retrospect that really just draws attention to the garters, which would have been impossible.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

I always assume that fetish monsters spend hours getting dressed by attendants.Nothing else makes sense. This thing certainly couldn't even reach the lower parts of that tail sarong, and yeah, the fins would make pulling a tiny bathing suit on challenging. Also, impossible garters. At least the jaunty Rolento hat would be easy.

Young Freud posted:

I don't want to know how much waste that webbing where the legs merge collects if she has to use the restroom.

Also, a gap like that is in no way aquadynamic. Especially with how it's webbed, it's going to create a pocket that creates a lot of drag.

How often are the stupid fish monsters in this game actually underwater? I figure with all the hemming and hawing over underwater cat robots, the game is basically discouraging undersea adventures.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Wow, the author of Vanishing Point (episode 35 of the show) just emailed me to let me know how rare that game actually is. Apparently there are only 550 copies floating around, and only 50 copies of the edition that we reviewed. Nice guy. I of course let him know we always want more published designers to be on the show.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Time for a brand new System Mastery (yes, it's a day early, I have a job in the morning finally)

So when we were talking about settings we really enjoy, I didn't want to talk about this one too much, because we were reviewing the book very soon. Gamma Terra rules, Gamma World rules, long live Gamma World.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

Fatal and Friends: Hc Svnt Recensus

I'm also all for a Sprechenhaltestelle gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

The latest System Mastery makes me sad I didn't get on the Gamma World train when it was at the station. Sounds like a blast.

FATAL & Friends Episode IV - A Few Dopes

FATAL & Friends: d4 abandoned reviews per page

It really is just a great thing to play. You can get through setup and character creation so fast it's practically just a boardgame, so there's not a lot of necessary time investment. On the other hand, the characters you create have so much oddball flavor it can be easy to get attached to them, so you have longevity baked in too. Just a fantastic system.

• Locked thread