Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Bieeardo posted:

I mostly read the horrifying fluff for the Scion line, but didn't Legend have some annoyingly ill-defined drawback that made people increasingly likely to become pawns of your developing personal myth?

Yup. The higher the power stat the more likely you would get "entangled" with mortals in some way that they really didn't bother explaining very well. This was supposedly the reason the gods didn't do poo poo themselves, instead of the much easier excuse of 'those dudes are lazy, petty, and busy with vanity projects because they barely care for the world on the best days'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Doresh posted:

Princesses must live in truly fantastical world if "I can burn monsters with the power of the sun" or "I can smite the poo poo out of you" is not considered a special power.

Well, nWoD hunters have much less of that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Most Hunters aren't in Compacts, let alone Conspiracies. Also they might be from VASCU, who is totally not magic. They're psychic!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Admittedly a wonder that makes a target forget any word for, say, now and then thus dropping them into a hell scape existence without cause and effect is simultaneously stupid and boss as hell. Sapir - Whorf mad science would be as wack as it would be racist.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Actually making gods nerds ran into while tripping into doofy computer gremlins owns.

EDIT: That does remind me, are the Phantom Yetis still unique in that they're completely generated off one dude's whackadoo theories that he believed so strongly that when he died there was sufficient mania space for them to exist? I remember that being an interesting idea, that some Darger style figure could have a belief system so out of touch it would be equal to something like The Hollow Earth or Vim in investment.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 31, 2015

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Lurks With Wolves posted:

I don't know. Could you make a school around the paradox that unironically using the term SJW just makes you look like the kind of weird jackass that justifies social justice's existence?

I mean, Ethics in Games Journalism is a pretty paradoxical statement already.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Also, rules as written means that even with your chemistry degree you're inflicting a capped amount of damage based on your roll. Apparently a lot of people talking about Mage on the internet overlook that.

Also you can't change a vampire into a lawnchair except in the very first edition of original Mage without having so many points you should be doing something else.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
That's when you give a hobo a hundred bucks for his low profile.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Well you don't buy all of it from a single hobo, obviously.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Leviathan, unlike Princess, has a pretty good pitch and theme with some serviceable mechanics. The major issue is that the organization is complete dogshit, and it's still fangame level material so not always worth digging to get at.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It has to be the Iron age or the entire reference falls apart. Poor Ovid.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm no expert on the genre (which is why I left that part up to Kai Tave!), but my interpretation of the whole Magic Deer thing is that it creates a scenario where the heroes are in service of the crown, and the crown is unambiguously good.

There is no element of "well what if Queen Jaellin is an imperialistic exploiter and you're actually supposed to join the Shadow to overthrow her". For sure, there are plot hooks that involve domestic issues within the kingdom, but because of how the sovereign is picked, there's never supposed to be any doubt that maintaining the status quo is an ideal goal to constantly strive for.

And if Queen Jaellin does somehow end up being a hellish tyrant, you just get rid of her without worrying about who goes next. Unlike other forms of government Cervidaemocracy is self correcting.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The obvious solution is to get Sayvin and the Queen to fall in love through an array of wacky hijinks.

Romantic Comedy Fantasy.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Cythereal posted:

And let's be honest: a good and well-intentioned ruler can be even more horrifying than an overtly evil one. It's possible to end up doing terrible things for the very best of reasons, perhaps by design but perhaps unintentionally. "Progressive, well-meaning idea has unforeseen side effects" is a frequent plot element, or perhaps the queen ultimately is simply not equal to the task before her because very few people in history have been equal to whatever crisis the DM has cooked up.

Think I'm going to need to see how hard/expensive Blue Rose is to find these days.

Back the second edition kickstarter and it's probably like 10$ for digital, with a better system than true20 stapled to it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm glad that Blue Rose specifically sets up my favorite RPG pick up plot, The Jordy Verrill. Nothing beats going into town only to find the local farmer found a gold ring while plowing and gave it to her wife and now we're covered in ghosts and nonsense.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I remember Master Plan was also a choosable class feature for Intelligence Classes back in D20 Modern, but I can't recall if that predated the Mutants &Masterminds version.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Holy poo poo it's literally Guy Gardner with a sword.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Historically accurate sex magic, at that.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

theironjef posted:

The balljack is a mystery, wrapped in an enigma, served with boysenberry syrup.

I figure that Ephesius, as a dragonborn, is probably a 4th edition player? But he's Southern, so maybe he's a Southern Unionist out of Virginia? It's just so confusing!

What I do know is that Southern Dragonborn is going on the wall next to Italian Dwarf.

Obviously he's West Virginian.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Doresh posted:

TDE don't really explain what a standard wrestling attack (aka no lock or grapple, just plain one-shot damage) is supposed to be.

Open hand slaps.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
You just rolled up Mascarita Sagrada and that's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

hyphz posted:

Oh, I remember that book. The one snag was that the roles were defined in the story/movie/adventure/whatever and because of the bidding system, it was possible you'd lose the auction and end up with a completely mismatched role. Even in the starting scenario make your big buff strongman actor, lose the role auction and end up as a kung-fu ballerina with now barely-average stats in Strength and Agility because the role and actor didn't stack anywhere.

This is the worst because the idea of the 6'5 Linebacker Ballerina is loving stellar.

• Locked thread