Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011

Ningyou posted:

The lexicon from the intro, the opening fiction, leading into the dumb ~~freedom of the streets~~ thing by asking "why a 14yo girl would suck cocks in bus stations when she could be anywhere else"
[...]
At the other end of the spectrum, though....well, some "whitebread loser" with "his semen still warm in some 14yo boy's mouth" (whyyyyyy does the writer keep coming back to fourteen-year-old prostitutes that's kind of weirdly, frighteningly specific)

They're not "coming back" to them, it's the same prostitute in both examples, a subtle emphasizing of Mr. Minivan's utter cluelessness about the world beyond his Miracle-Gro front lawn where people stop being polite and start being real.

Also who the gently caress didn't love stomping through the dead leaves every fall when they were a kid.

Cynical-Pop Meikyuu Kingdom Dungeon Theater

Chapter 4.2: Tour of Data - Common Items

Items! They're what you own. Broadly split into two categories: Common and Rare. Common Items are the mundane things, easily bought with plain old cash money during the Kingdom Phase; Rare Items are the magical artifacts and suchlike, and are generally much harder to get your hands on. Rares are listen in the Dungeon Book, though, so data-wise, it's all Commons for now.

All characters have six Item Slots which represent their inventory. Each Item takes up one Slot unless specified otherwise in the Effect Text, and a character can only use Items which they have equipped in a Slot. So, a Knight equipped with a sword, shield, and a suit of armor would have half of their Item Slots filled just kitting themselves up for battle, never mind anything else they might want to carry along. Space management is essential!

Each Item Slot can also hold up to 10 Materials, of which there are also ten types: Meat, Fangs, Leather, Wood, Iron, Cloth, Reagents, Machinery, Gunpowder and Information. Materials can be used to craft Common or even Rare Items during the Kingdom Phase, and each Item has listed on its card the components required to make it. Any number of an Item can be made in a single action provided you have enough Materials on hand, although you can't make more than the Court has open Slots to carry.

Unless you combine the Items together, creating instead a single Item with an increased Item Level (unless the Item you're making doesn't have a Level to increase). Crafted or purchased Items always start at Level 0 (though Items looted from Monsters may have some Levels on them already), and can be raised up to a maximum Level of 10 by crafting, special events, or using certain Skills or Facilities. Naturally, higher Levels mean better effects: weapons do more damage, food restores more HP, that sort of thing.

Item effects have the same range of Action Types and Targets as I told you about in the first Advanced Skills post, so go back and read that one if you can't remember because I hate repeating myself. DATA TIME!!

ARMS

Blade - The king of weapons: a long sharp pointy bit with a handle attached to the blunter end. Flavor text heartily endorses reskinning into whatever sort of blade you fancy, from popular standbys such as broad swords and katanas to more exotic choices like flamberges or kukris.
    Dagger - The young prince of weapons: a short sharp pointy bit with a handle attached to the blunter end. Not as much to reskin here, so the flavor text instead has a Dungeon Boss calculating how many Rounds are left until the little girl poking him with one finally takes the last of his <HP>. Yeah, it's that sort of game at times.
    Battle Axe - The something big and menacing of weapons: a sharp edged bit at the end of a longer handle. Reskin suggestions stray a bit from the expected, including pickaxes and sickles alongside pulaskis and bardiches.
    Shield (Buckler) - The captain of the weapons guard: a sheet of some hard material strapped to one arm.
    Spear - The prime minister of weapons: a sharp pointy bit with a really long handle attached to it, so you can get your licks in without getting licked back.
    Shuriken - The ninja of weapons. The weapon of ninja. They're a ding-dang Class, you had to know these'd show up eventually.
    Crossbow - The okay I'm sick of this gag of weapons. Basic pew pew ranged.
    Armor - Hits hurt less.
    War Hammer - Big, heavy and blunt. Reskin suggestions include maces, mauls and... "go-go balls"?? :confused:
    Bomb - Did you know that the “petard” by which people are often said to be hoisted is actually a primitive grenade? :eng101: Well, that’s what I was told a long time ago, anyway, but I just looked it up and it’s actually a primitive breaching charge, so the fact’s not as relevant here as I thought it’d be but I’m leaving it because I haven’t got anything else to say.
    Firearm - Just another one of the many marvels brought about by the progress of MODERN SCIENCE!! :science: Far more damaging than comparable bow weapons!!...although, granted, it’s not any more accurate… despite being considerably more expensive… um… progress? :shobon:
    Great Sword - A sword so big it takes up two Item Slots. For those who want to play as Cloud Strife or Guts or Sagara Sanosuke or well you get the idea.
    Broom - “Now there’s something you don’t see every day, Chauncey.” “What’s that, Edgar?” “Princess disarming a pit trap with a broom.” “Oh, I don’t know. Haven’t you ever heard of ‘mine-sweeping’?” :haw:
    Armor-Piercing Bullet - Some Monsters have damage-reducing Skills; use one of these in an attack to negate them. Still just one to a Slot though, which seems really odd to me since they're just bullets, but whatever.
    Cannon - Only takes up one Slot, but requires at least 10 <Staff> to stay equipped, and burns 1 Gunpowder every time it's fired. Blasts the bejesus out of a whole Area for the trouble, though!

LIFESTYLE

Pan - An original hand-hammered wok for cooking on the fly.
    Backpack - So many pockets, man, you don't even know.
    Cracker (Clacker) - Y'know those things they sell at New Year's where you pull on a string and confetti comes popping out the other end? That's this. :toot:
    Purse (Frog-Safe) - The Japanese call classic coin purses gama-guchi, "toad mouths". Thus, this ordinary looking bag has a toad sprite living inside of it that will store any coins placed in the bag securely inside of its mouth! Makes perfect sense!
    Cloak - All the greatest adventurers have worn them.
    Cards - A deck of 52 for the passing of time. Friendly round of Spit In The Ocean, anyone?
    Apron - Protects your royal finery from blood spatters during those rip-and-tear moments.
    Citizen Registry (Resident Library) - A comprehensive list of every citizen and their capabilities, so that if the Ninja's chuunin squad gets wiped out by a trap while on reconnaissance, the Vizier can tell at a glance who among the Maid Corps is sufficiently stealth-rated to step in as replacements.
    Mobile Phone (Handy Phone) - ...of course, not trying to start an argument or anything, but he probably wouldn't have lose his chuunin in the first place if he didn't insist on communicating exclusively by trained courier sparrow. Tradition's all well and good, but don't you think they'd have used cell phones back in :airquote:"The Golden Age of Ninjutsu":airquote: if they'd only been INVENTED yet?! :rant:
    Portrait - Paint a picture, it'll last longer.
    Finery (Costume) - Just because you're wading through knee-deep ogre entrails doesn't mean you can't look ~positively fabulous~ while doing it.
    Snack of Sunlight Yellow - If you've read the Meikyuu localization thread at all, you already know the story here. If not, first read aldantefax's initial post about handling cultural references, then either scroll down a ways through the discussion it generated or just skip ahead to where I posted my own findings. Summarizing would just not do it justice.
    Glasses - For those who want to look intelligent. Actual intelligence not included.
    Credit Card - “A magic card that can topple even the mightiest of budgets with a single careless swipe.”
    Grimoire - That’s Latin for “101 Safe & Simple Feats Of Legerdemain To Astonish Your Friends!”.

RECOVERY

Box Lunch (Luncheon) - Light, portable, cheap, filling. This is THE essential right here, folks. All other Items are purely optional.
    Wonder Drug (Antidote) - One-stop cure-all for everything from nerve toxins to plantar warts. "Side effects"? Who has time to worry about that?
    Keepable Foods - "Meals ready-to-eat": three lies in one! Still, better than starving.
    Stretcher - For carrying home those who can't make it on their own.
    Coffee - Aaah, glorious caffeine.
    Chocolate - Valentine's Day is now, always has been, and always will be, nothing but a massive con job. :colbert:
    Alcohol (Drink) - "Humanity was drinking alcohol 5,000 years ago, and we're still drinking it today. Alcohol is humanity's friend. And how could I abandon a friend?"
    Full Course - Expensive, but sometimes a basket full of sandwiches just ain't enough.
    Potion - Pretty sure it's an actual international law that you can't have a fantasy setting without healing potions.
    First-Aid Kit (Trauma Kit) - Bandages and ointments.
    Tonic - [Potion]'s older brother. Marketed by the Hagulma Republic under the name "Ganbari v Do!", which I imagine I'd find to be riffing on some actual Japanese brand if I went looking, but :effort:
    Dungeon Insurance - I was kinda hoping the flavor text would name who or what pays out on these policies, but nope, just a concerned voice making a "just in case" speech to some second party. Dunno how you'd pay out on what's essentially a word of recall scroll, though... guess I was hoping to find that out, too. Oh well.
    Scientific Spice - Essence of Pure Flavor, only with less hallucinogens (probably).
    Love Potion - Well, whaddaya expect?
    Elixir - Not the Holy Grail, but a remarkable facsimile. Just don’t tip it over or you’ll set the whole drat town on fire.

EXPLORATION

Flag - :patriot:
    O-Mamori (Amulet) - Actual item. (Also, a quick reminder that the names I provide are literal for clarity, not preference.)
    Star Fragment (Blad of Star) - According to the flavor text, they’re happy to hang around with Landmakers “until they grow up”, so apparently they’re not so much star fragments as star larvae. And, as I believe I mentioned previously, these are your primary sources of light. Christ’s nails, but I love this loving game. :allears:
    Instrument of Torture - Self-explanatory. As with the weapons, the flavor text on this one suggests several options for reskinning: interrogation chairs, witches’ needles, iron maidens, pears…
    Power Wrist (Heavy Wristband) - For weight training. Y’know, like in Dragonball?
    Tent - Yep.
    Instrument - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAKentKiGOY
    Familiar (Animal Companion) - Anything from cattes and dogges to domesticated monsters.
    Mount (Ride) - Man, used to be you had to grind your way up to the level cap to get one of these. Now they’re practically throwing them at newbies. I’ve been with this game since launch, but it’s obvious all they care about is money anymore, so I’m deleting my account and burning all of my Jinx shirts, hoodies, figures, comics, novelisations, trading cards, soundtrack CDs, strategy guides, decals, keychains, jewelry, life-sized loot replicas, and imported body pillow covers in protest. :reject:
    Trap Encyclopedia (Trap Collection) - Perhaps a set of flashcards? :iamafag:
    Dungeon Protection Clothing (Dismaze Gear) - As far as I’m concerned, you’re not using this Item right unless you’re also carrying around a [Mace] reskinned as a crowbar. :colbert:
    Map - Wait! They don't love you like I love you.
    Watch (Ticktick) - The Harlequin’s true sin was not bringing enough for everyone.
    Mole-stick (Living Drill) - Literally a mole tied to the end of a stick. You point the stick at a wall, and the mole digs through it. Have I mentioned yet how much I love this game?
    Pumpkin Coach (Pumpkin Wagon) - Flavor text says that by feeding milk to Monsters for 100 days straight, they’ll turn into a team of white horses, which was part of the original story maybe? I never got around to reading them, so :shrug: Anyway, it then goes on to talk about how the first Pumpkin Coach was used by a princess from a certain small kingdom to… assassinate an imperial prince?! :magical: I knew the Grimm versions were darker, but holy poo poo!

That’s it for Common Items. Next time: infrastructure!
The verb “itomeru” literally means “to stop with a shot”, with the implication that the target has been stopped by death, but can also be used as a euphemism for capturing another’s affections. So don’t worry, the prince is probably just fine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchtits McGee
Jul 1, 2011
The last time I got linked to a set of D&Dis rules, Christians were a playable class with penalties in every stat and an innate ability called "Whitewash", by which they could overwrite reality through sheer force of willful ignorance. It's better now, at least a bit.

• Locked thread