Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
One of those archetypes looks like Soviet peasant superhero and the other looks like proto-Midnighter. I'm already digging it from the art alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Queztlcoatl has this weird long torso, short leg thing going on. I think it might be that the artist didn't draw him rotating around his hips as he climbing the stairs. Also, Chiuacoatl is either a male-to-female transsexual or every god drat day is leg day. Her legs are buff as poo poo.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
RIFTS continually surprises me with the artists they get to do the illustrations. I really like the guy who did the Greek Gods' illustrations.

Palladium did miss a chance of making Hera actually interesting. Instead of making her a psychopath, make it about how she truly and deeply loves Zeus. How her negative acts are because she's deeply hurt, doesn't know what to do and the ancient world equivalent of a counselor is some gruff guy going 'deal with it'. Her victims are victims because they constantly worry the emotional wound that Zeus has caused. It would also let you make her a huge mother figure and deal competently with her legit children and those she favors, just like myth shows her doing.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
They really messed up on the trimurti/tridevi. From what I know of Hinduism, while the three masculine gods are responsible for carrying out acts under their domains, they are actually powerless. The font of their power is their wives, from which what they can do flows. Not having Saraswati, Lakshmi and Parvati with Brahma, Vishnu and Shiva is wrong.

And Hanuman is way more awesome in the myths. He has been struck by Indra and almost killed, at which point his father Vayu made him mostly immortal. He has leaped from India to Lanka while hunting for Rama's wife, set Lanka on fire by growing his tail constantly after the rakshasa set it on fire, lifted up an entire mountain and carried it to the battlefront so that his fellow soldiers could be cured of a poison by a plant that only grew on it and went toe to toe with some of the heavy hitters in the rakhasas ranks. When it was all done and rewards were handed out, Rama and Sita gave him a necklace of jewels, which he promptly began examining in great detail. When they asked why, he said he was looking to see if Rama and Sita were in at as he never wanted to be without them. Which lead to the instance of them showing him they were always in his heart. Hanuman as a character symbolizes the loyal and true follower and is also responsible for the stories of Sun Wu Kong as his myth was carried east with buddhism.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
If I remember correctly, Raksasha society was actually a model one as far as obeying the dictates of the gods go. The problem was that they were royal butts to everyone who wasn't a Raksasha. Except Vibhishana, who wasn't going to be a dick and joined Rama, being given kingship of Lanka after Rama's monkey army got done stomping on it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Does Castle Falkenstein mention the Golden Horde hitting the Arabian peninsula? My knowledge of history isn't the greatest, but I thought they are what caused a massive loss of knowledge and a backslide for the various Islamic kingdoms from their height.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I have to agree that a Culture based RPG would be difficult. For one, most of the characters/SC agents don't operate at their full potential in the open. Whenever their talets break out (Zakalwe, Horza), it's a last minute deal in which death is certain. Or they're cloistered like the girl with superior predictive abilities than a Mind. And then there is the question of how you mechanically support the special abilities of the characters.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
That penguin is ripped as poo poo.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I think this talk came up with Apocalypse World's sex moves and groups that may not want to involve rabid acts of loving in there game. Which then brought up that they really represent the two characters sharing an intimate moment and bonding but in a manner reflecting that the world is over and nothing good remains (or so you think). I think the Turning Someone On is something similar. It needn't be romantic/physical, as has been pointed out, but represents someone getting an emotional/mental raise out of the target. They've done something that the character can't stop mulling over and it's bringing that person closer to them, which can happen as being a teenager and having friends means there is usually a core individual or small group that the rest of a social group orbits around.

Long of the short, TSO is less about sexing everything and more about mental fixation/attraction to what the character represents. Or so it seems to me.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

theironjef posted:

Dream Park, added to the list.

In the meantime, here's Episode 21: Nobilis. One or a few of you guys have read and reviewed this thing, right? Man it's a slog to get to the good parts. So many flowers.

What got to me is that the rules seemed to lay where they fell after being chased across the pages by the bad art. More games need to do what Mortal Coil does(I think Burning Wheel might do as well) and tack on a page or two rule summary at the end of each chapter. It makes everything immensely easier.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I did enjoy making the example characters for Nobilis when I reviewed it. That you get to define exactly what your dominion allows two people to play a similar but wildly different concept or take something that would be nebulous in definition or alien and make it fit.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Vincent loving Price.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Tiny mouse man with pants helping to haul in that catch on the boat. :3:

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

time wizard dinosaurs

Go on...

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
In the MH games I was involved in, I ended up playing The Serpentine. Probably botched it as I didn't play it as a kid trying to find an identity independent of his family, I played a serpent in human form. There was a large volume of trying to kill NPCs who were prettier and the game culminated with the character being commanded to participate in the overthrow of the police force as his family took control. So much blood shed in that game.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Isn't this concept basically one way to play the Angel, albeit with some different mechanics? It feels too narrowly defined for a skin, and I'm not a fan of skins that railroad the character's sexuality.

I have to agree. By making it explicit, you take out some of the awkwardness out of the theme of growing into a teenager. I think you could probably pull The Deep One off as a kid raised in an environment that hates everything of a different ethnicity/religion/social class/etc and work with them being attracted to what is different/deemed 'bad'.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Maxwell Lord posted:

I don't get what the Proxy even does.

References Slenderman. That's it. Wasted because having a psycho killer/fascination with a key target has so much potential.

"Why do you run from me? Don't you see I love you! I can keep you safe! That's what the axe is for!"

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I think a target of ridicule/abuse could work if you stuck some kind of overarching tormentor on them, like a ghost, demon or their throat slitting parent who is stalking them. Give them a base move that lets them handle incoming damage/resolve suffered damage better and build around the idea of the party/player getting benefits for the abused drawing the bad things to them. Give 'em another move where they get a bonus for fabricating the abuse coming from a genuinely good act and make their Darkest Self turning into what is haunting them, making them complete the cycle and dishing out torment and abuse against their nature to round out the concept. Make the character's story less about a countdown to wiping everything out and change it to whether they can break out of the cycle, realize there are those who do care about them and become a good human(ish) being.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I think the Proxy could work well with a focus on obsession and you can work the hand that tugs the pull as potentially being made up so that the character can justify their creepy acts. It's probably enough to break into two different playbooks, but basing something off that lackey who does horrible poo poo but blames it on someone else forcing them when confronted about it works pretty well in my opinion.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Is there a trade-off on the Hide Your Heart move? If doing that also prevented you from getting/using strings or from being able to act outside of a towering brute, it could work. I have a feeling that this is not the case though.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Did I miss the Locusts of the Apocalypse for Testament? I think you could pull a pretty neat monster out of that if you statted it like a dragon.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I don't know what games were available when he wrote that bit on hit points, but stuffing those means of damage tracking into games that aren't designed with those in mind is dumb. You look hard enough, you can find games like RuneQuest that have some crunchy combat, or Savage Worlds that tracks the 'You've been hit. You've been hit harder. You've been hit dead' style and accounts for it in the rules. Shoehorning it in will upset balance and lead to bad things.

P.S. Hunter Rose would just murder his rival and Wick's GMPC.

EDIT: I would totally play a game where you are monster's trying to keep the authorities off your monster-frat house while you try to get an education. Sounds like M&OCT Goes to College.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Kurieg posted:

"Sir, the Wendigo succumbed to his insatiable hunger and ate another freshman home-ec class."
"Monster House!!!!"

"Do they call you Flounder because you're from Innsmouth?"

I just don't know what system you would use for it.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

hectorgrey posted:

Monster Hearts, clearly.

Monsterhearts is too concerned with battling your monsteritude and trying to find a place. You'd need something more situated to hijinks because, hey, Burblex the Omniquizical just ate the freshman who has been writing all your essays this semester and the Wolfman is going to make you and your buddies look like chumps if you don't get up there and challenge his kegstand record.

Also, the fact that Wick was proud enough of throwing a game based tantrum because his play group was afraid to jump on to any idea he had is kind of infuriating. It just comes across as breaking people's poo poo until you get your way.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Strangely enough, back when I first read through AW and was dicking around with homebrew playbooks, I started an Agent skin from Lacuna because I had just read it and thought it was amazing. The big difference is that I tacked on a second countdown timer to count static (whatever the term was for the dissonance between Agent and the Collective Unconsciousness of Mankind) that would fill as some of the heavier moves got used. And the further it filled, the more weird poo poo that would start happening to your agent before the Spidermen and the Blue Lady show up. Never finished it, though. I also think I just had the Lacuna Device as a weapon.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
That was the thing I noticed when leafing through Maid. You could excise most of the harem anime system and easily wrap it around a group trying to garner favor with some form of political figure. Game of Thrones with paper fans and robbits.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I got one for you to review: Hobomancer. I'm actually finishing up the PDF and the game is really interesting. It's also a QAGS game, so you can probably wrap up several other games into one podcast.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
You could also just change it by having weapon choices be the actual monsters and modify the standard moves and add unique moves that would fit with a monster handler. Like using +sharp to take hold of something when you threaten to unload you monster or being able to use weird/cool to have the monster relay information from some distance away.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Is that a Reaver furry? Like, some space dog man got hijacked by a space-bug and now is more horrific than it originally was? Because they seriously missed some good design influence from biohorror movies.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Jesus loving Christ, I feel like Bowman when he entered the Monolith, only it's a city spanning black replica of something off of Bad Dragon. Almost all the military thought seems to originate from Call of Duty and not, much live everything else, reality.

P.S. If you had the capability to simply insert a phenotype into a genome with little effort to produce legit chimera, the rest of the scientific world would want to know how you did it because that's some disease ending, world changing level poo poo right there.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Covok posted:

I'm just shocked how insane and anchro-captialist Furry EP's lore is. If you really want transhumanism furries, you'd think you'd just do something simple like "yeah, two factions of mankind got into a big war, they started making genetically-engineered, intelligent, living weapons as a new avenue of war, nuclear option happens, mankind dies out, anthros survived because the factories growing them survived." Boom!, done: your excuse plot is finished without being too insane or crazy. No need to limit your potential audience by taking extreme stances on politics.

Problem is, if you're going to make tank decanted soldiers, why would you give them a cartoony, anthropomorphic animal appearance instead of something vaguely human and designed to inspire fear? Taking on Tompkins 'Ruff' Sechs the dog soldier is going to be less frightening then something in ballistic armor that looks human, just shorter, faster, stronger and is still bearing down on you with multiple gunshot wounds while it picks off your teammates in rapid succession.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I thought about it for all of five minutes and it would have been simpler to have the proto-furries be a group of humans who exiled themselves and rejected the human form because of their distaste for society. Have them journey out past the asteroid belt, tie in some intentional/mostly accidental modification of their germ line and leave them in the outer system for a 100+ years. Then have them come back after Humanity manages to starve itself out by failing to stop climate change before mass famines hit that starve out the system's population. Now the PC characters have some form of tragedy tied to them because they ignored the species while it died a horrific death and you still get to have an Earth that is a wasteland, just no nukes necessary.

That would open up different character ideas to play as (wanderers, those that try to pick up the pieces, etc.) and require less time/stupidity to achieve. But then again, I am putting more thought into a project that is 'Eclipse Phase without humans and human-like characters'.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Man, I actually had to take notes on the HSD review.

So what's the origin of the Libertarian view that if you remove government, business is a benevolent entity run by benevolent people? Because that poo poo is divorced from the reality that people are still animals that feel animal instincts and overcoming them requires some considerable effort.

With Spyglass and the whole 'WE TRAIN DISHONEST MOTHER FUCKERS' is going to lead to the Prisoner's Dilemma where depending on how well lying pays off and how many dishonest fucks are running around the system, you're going to get a whole lot of people who do not do honest business. I can't imagine that'd actually be good for nations that are corporations.

Finally, I realized what HSD struck me as: Mutant Chronicles without the whole 'The Megacorps are the problem' included in setting. The blurb from Transcendence is one 'AND IT'S EVIL AND FROM OUTSIDE THIS DIMENSION' from employing Dark Symmetry. There is already rogue technology that may or may not be the vessel for an alien force invading this reality.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Y'know, if they wanted to make one of those groups the mad killers, it should have been the weasels. Sure, cats are killers and most are pretty big, but their prey tends to be roughly on par with them in regards to size. A least weasel? They can bring down rabbits with are significantly bigger than them. It'd be like a lion climbing on top of an adult elephant and killing it by severing its spine. But the split between felidae and canidae makes some sense within that group as order Carnivora has a feliformes and caniformes supergrouping that divides carnivores into whether their phenotype shares more in common with cats or dogs. Still doesn't make half assing the reptiles acceptable or even forgetting something like goatmen or deer people.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Hot poo poo, are furries silly about those morphisms. Being a digitigrade would loving suck as a biped. Imagine walking in stiletto heels every moment of your life. I also question how being small for lateralism/microism doesn't directly affect the intelligence of the characters. Although, if laterlism meant you were a significantly larger, but atavistic, version of the furry family, that be loving neat. John 'Sticky' Rourke, PI solving crimes as a labrador sized gecko in hat and coat would be fun.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
So I think the cleansweeper saying there is something alive but not where it is may be linked to the whole "QWIT INVADIN' MAH PRIVASEE!' aspect of whatever philosophy the game is trying to pump. Which doesn't make sense in a world run by corporations because privacy leads to slacking and a loss of productivity.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Oh hey, a metric system for monkey cheese. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
It'd have been easier just to lift Zelazney's idea of a spikard. You have an item of power (in this case an implant) that is tethered to fonts of power in other dimensions. When you use it, you jiggle the tether and said font sends a jolt of itself down the line and back to you. Keeps a similar idea, divorces the 'lol random' part from it and now you have alien entities to deal with when you push it too hard.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Prison Warden posted:

So a Green Lantern ring?

Not quite. The GL ring lets you make energy constructs and shoot LAYZORS!!!1!1. Spikards take on aspects of what they're bound to. Greyswandir was bound to the Pattern in Amber and had some serious power across all realms of shadow, even the capability of repairing the Pattern. Even if you don't want to use the direct definition of a spikard, you could have it allow a spikard implant let you tap what it's tied to and really bad results end up with you owing favors or now the center of focus for something devastating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
3:16, in itself, is supposed to be shallow in regards to some overarching plot. The point behind the game, which you'll eventually have to beat your players over the head with, is that they are the unwanted. They're all gently caress ups being sent away from Earth to hopefully die because they simply don't fit the current paradigm of Earth Utopia. And if you play a campaign long enough, the characters will reflect this, eventually checking off the 'hatred for home' box. Coupled with the fact the expeditionary force has multiple means to annihilate planetary bodies or large areas of space and the players will eventually gain access to them, Earth is supposed to die. It fits into a similar vein as Monsterhearts, in which the characters are thrown into the roles of narrative important things (Protectors of Earth and Monsters), but in which the roles are not at all what they're cracked up to be.

• Locked thread