Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

ELH is even worse in that it's just boring. There's so much "okay, fight this thing, but with bigger numbers and extra immunities, don't mind the grind". The most hilarious part is Union, which is apparently populated by epic-level characters who decided to just settle down and be epic-level bakers or whatever, so you can go eat level-appropriate pies with a properly scaled savoriness DC, but is otherwise near-indistinguishable from every other high-fantasy D&D metropolis.

You could probably spin an interesting story from the Epic Butcher, Epic Baker and Epic Candlestick maker getting fed up with some god's bullshit and putting their adventuring gear on for one last romp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

I enjoyed Trinity a great deal but I really don't remember anything of the metaplot about the alien species or where psi powers came from. Mostly we were focused on fighting the evil Tea Party America.

Come to think of it, though, Trinity was probably the first game I played that encouraged the players not to play white American manly-men.

The deal with the aliens (there were three groups) was that mankind thought it was alone, it's telepaths never heard a peep from them at the edge of the system and then two of them disappeared human explorers, one explicitly with the invasion of a colony, the other with no conclusive evidence. And then you have the Qin, who are playing some kind of game and the psions can't figure it out.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Halflings are supposedly amazing slingers. They also tend to focus on food. I'm surprised there have been less onions used as sling bullets in fantasy media.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Nessus posted:

Are there any cyberpunk games where there isn't some bullshit arbitrary "you can't aug up or you lose your soul/humanity/whatever" that don't go full Eclipse Phase? (Mental stress or complications are fine, I mean the Shadowrun/CP2020 "you literally go bonko like that dude in AD Police Files" kind of stuff.)

I think the problem is, and someone who has read more of the genre can correct me, Transhuman fiction inevitably goes full on borg because metal beats meat and refusing to become the machine marks you as obsolete/conservative/badwrong. Which doesn't mesh well with me for whatever reason.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, Immortal always felt like a bait-and-switch for people looking to swing swords to the sound of Queen but get a game where you play color-coded singing magical otherkin instead.

It may be that I'm in the middle of reading Imajica, but that last part sounds suspiciously like something Barker would work into the background of one of his stories.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011

Crasical posted:

I'll admit I've never read it myself, but I've never heard of Journey to the West described as 'basically a comedy novel' before. :confused:

It kind of is. Early Wukong is a swaggering rear end, but a swaggering rear end who steals from a dragon and beats the poo poo out of most of heaven when he gets pissed. The later half of the stories slowly have him mend his ways and become enlightened.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
I wonder what kind of meltdown a GM like Wick would have if his players formed a cabal excluding him, made a large batch of characters each aside from the one the GM knows about , put up no resistance and swapping characters every time they lose one. Just changing to a completely new character whenever one gets imprisoned, tortured for centuries or full out assault by the unbeatable villain and continuing on with the group. I can't imagine the session would last long before there was a fight.

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
If HSC was more self aware, it'd make an interesting art piece. Create a world where the people who are alienated by normal society become the norm then slyly have it impose the exact same forms of persecution on a sub-segment in a way that gets the consumer base to be okay with it. Whole man's inhumanity to man thing going on only with 3' dick bearing pandataurs and sharkcougars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Fatal and Friends Revised: Burning Both Ends of the Wick.

Or Hate-Read 'til climax.

• Locked thread