Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
It just makes you think about the moral weight of violence. And to emphasize how desperate people need to be to get to that point. Though I still played in a UA game where I was possessed by a demon, and I melted another character.

The car chase rules are good. I'm not sure why they're in UA - didn't John Tynes also use them in Feng Shui?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I'd love to see Task Force Valkyrie as The Iniative from Buffy, but competent.

If WoD split off VASCU into its own line and gave it a push, it could get mainstream attention. There's a zillion of those 'detectives get into the mind of a killer' shows.
I wouldn't let Slashers be PCs unless they were ultra-cheesy.

quote:

Machine Elf
Quote: "When you lack the needed lore/And cannot manage applications/All you'll get is 404/To test the limits
of your patience."

Background:

Machine elves, sometimes called transforming elves or fractal elves, are the names given to creatures created
by failed calculations and equations. They are birthed, not solely by the broken dreams of the scientific
consensus, but also by the failed thoughts of their computers. The children of botched and unfinished
calculations, of paradoxical mathematical systems, machine elf populations have exploded since the
proliferation of the personal computer. Though the first reports of these shy, clever creatures go back to
Newton's time, they are now one of the most common kinds of manes, living rich and intricate lives behind
computer terminals and under the floors of server stations. Lemurians, who call these creatures kobaloi,
possess a unique affinity for the creatures, and the machine elves in a Lemurian's unmada field often come to
represent the Lemurian's dreams and beliefs.

I assum anyone, Inspired or not, who takes enough DMT can see these guys? But seriously this is a real downgrade for Machine Elves, who are considered more godlike by those who've met them.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 31, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Cythereal posted:

Machine elves appeared elsewhere first? Doesn't surprise me.

But yeah, anyone can see and interact with a mane out in the world. And trigger Havoc if you touch them or vice versa. You can play as a mane.

I've only heard the term from real trippy types. 'Machine Elves' are the term that psychonaut Terrance McKenna coined for the fractal aliens he met while taking DMT. Other people who've met them are guys like Grant Morrison (who's put them in his comics) and other DMT-users. To find out more you need to plumb the depths of TCC or Erowid, and I'm not in the right headspace.

But in RPG terms I'd expect them to be incredibly powerful - Ascended Archtypes in Unknown Armies, ancient Mages/Geniuses who've trancended reality, mystical gods. Brings you meet on vision quests, not computer gremlins.

On a more mundane note, you could drop Task Force VASCU into Unknown Armies without much trouble.

Night10194 posted:

Bioshock merchandising tie-in?

Half-Life did it first.
I hold to the philosophy that if you can change or improve any part of humanity, you should! Chieron probably does too.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

His name is Harvey Ecks. Once, he romaed the highways alone, practicing his art on anyone who he'd meet on their lonesome. Early on, he was sometimes sloppy, leaving headless torsos. They called him the Rest Stop Killer in those days, or the Torso Maker. But eventually, he got it down pat, able to torture and kill without leaving any trace. He wasn't satisfied - it was too slow, too inefficient. So he decided to claim a small network of interstate highways and offshoots, taking some time to set up surveillence all over it, to brainwash and coopt the waitresses, troopers and gas station attendants. Time well spent for this Maniac - now, he can see everyone who comes through his little kingdom, to see if they are worthy. If they are, he takes them. His pawns call him the Driver, because it always begins with a long drive on a dark night. By the end, they are his - full of the fear and madness he plants in their heads. Harvey believes he's not a killer - he's an explroer, driven by a dream he claims he had in the womb. In that dream, he saw a network of paths, conduits embedded in reality. From an early age, he searched out that pattern. He found hints of it over and over - ancient Mayan pottery, the Book of Kells, the rantings of a New Delhi street preacher. Whoever could understand the Dream Pattern, the Road to Under and the Black Sun Map would unlock an understanding of reality that could do anything. Harvey belives that some people contain fragments of the Map in their minds. He finds that under extreme stress - torture, usually - they spontaneously reveal part of the answer. And so he tells his agents what to look for, what gestures, habits and speech match the dream he had. Harvey could look like anything he wants - he could be anyone, his agents know. But his natural appearance, with no disguise, is a rail-thin, tall man with a beaky nose and narrow, constantly moving eyes. When he spots a victim, he sometimes takes them immediately, sometimes tail them so they won't bring down the police on him. Sometimes he'll have his agents sabotage a car so he can show up to "help." His convictions never waver, but he has one great fear. He thinks others are trying to beat him to the map. He's heard there's at least two of them - the Water Doctor and the Man with the Moth, he calls them. Any indication that someone else is close to completing the Map always shakes him.

This guy sounds like a refugee from Unknown Armies. An Adept.

Since Hunter stole that Dante art, I gotta ask - does it support 'Badass' hunters like Dante and Blade? Especially Blade - the first movie was basically about him hunting down a Sabbat vamp taking down the Camerilla, and the 2nd had him join a bunch of Vampire PCs to hunt Tzimicie experiments. Or do you need to use supernatural splats to get that sort of power?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Ashwood Abbey would be way more interesting if they'd cool it with the constant rape.

They're the villains from half the Vertigo comics in the 80s. Hellblazer had dozens of these guys and so did Swamp Thing and The Invisibles. I heard that new investigations in Britain are turning up the real thing too.
Still I'd rather they were more like the Sensates from Planescape. Shooting up vampire blood, getting Mages to mindfuck them, eating cryptid meat - anything for new experiences. And most of them would leave the supernaturals they did that WITH - not TO - alive. Then they could be PCs.
The Hunt Club could be the old Ashwood Abbey, since 'depraved aristocrats' still make good villians.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I just want to make the first evil ex from Scott Pilgrim. How do I make my backup dancers shoot fireballs?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

The UA website is still around, and dedicated fans still add to it. Last week somebody made a Snail Adept, which should prove that UA magick is the best magick.
Or maybe I'm just obsessed with something nobody cares about. Unknown Armies-mancy. The Paradox: the more you talk about your favorite RPG, the more you drive people away because they think you're nuts.

Has there been anything since it came out that scratches that Unknown Armies itch? Some of nWoD and Hunters seems doable but not quite as weird.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Young Freud posted:

This relates a lot to a discussion I had with a friend about Call of Cthulhu Sanity, that maybe we should not be thinking of a cultist going into gibbering madness but achieving some sort of weirdo transubstantial enlightenment where they no longer think in human terms. What good is believing everyone is a rational actor when you find that that the dark powers that run the universe behave in what a human would think is irrationally. An ant can't fathom why we go on vacations or the concept of an economy, but if one did start thinking like a human, then it would be the outsider.

Reminds me of Phil Sandifer's take on the first Cyberman episodes, where they were qloppothicly enlightened beings instead of cyborgs. They saw so much they were no longer human.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

hyphz posted:

Cliomancers are a bit odd because they're kind of US-centric. In a smaller country, history will be much more concentrated and they'll presumably become more powerful. Heck, in the UK you can commute to London and pass through a number of historical sites on the way, possibly including the railway line you are on.

Remember how I said that UA infected everything I read? When I was into James Joyce, I wanted to write up a game about Cliomancers using the anniversary of Bloomsday to turn Dublin into a Groundhog Day version of that one day that Ulysess is set on. I guess it'd be Bibliomancers vs Cliomancers.
I should probably just post this stuff in the dedicated UA thread to avoid ranting here or filling up the thread with things like War Boy Entropomancers. Or those drug guys brewing up magickal paint huffing rituals.

I gotta say that as much as I love it, schools like Epideromancers can really bug me depending on my mood. I know people who've self-harmed, and having that be a route to magikal power can be really disturbing. I guess most of the schools like Dipsomancy can trigger people that way.
I feel like if any game needs a 'this is all fake. This is not real' warning it's Unknown Armies. I'm glad that the media or fundies never picked up on it, since 'the game where you cut yourself for power' would make D&D's Satanic Panic look like nothing.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Ratoslov posted:

Well, not necessarily. You totally can make a Dipso that can hold down a job or a Entropo that'll live to see thirty. You just have to stick to minor magicks and you probably feel like a chickenshit for only sipping at the edges of true ultimate power instead of drinking straight from the firehose.

Eh Keith Richards is, what, 70? Play a Kennedy or a rock star or an Alfie Dipso and they'll do fine, for certain values of 'fine'. And strap a GoPro to an Entropomancer and they'll get a Red Bull sponsorship and tons of money.
I'd mix English cliomancy with psychogeography. And if you want theories of Urbanomancy I took a whole course on The City; lots of talk of flaneurs and Situationalism.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Kellsterik posted:

Solid start to a Proxy ritual if you wanted to become Charlie Chaplin for magickal purposes.

Where does Robert Downey Jr., who first got respect playing Chaplin, came in? I'm sure his father's gang of underground filmmakers included an occultist or two.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Are all those Hites in Hunter a reference to Kenneth Hite?
Are the Ascending Ones based on the Narco-Alchemists?

I feel like if Unknown Armies was any other game, we'd be criticizing the Epideromancer for being so edgy and disturbing. I want to say I'd ban it if/when I run UA, or at least not allow them without some discussion. OTOH, in a UA game I played my character was possessed by an Epideromancer demon and the GM let me control the demon. So I ripped out my character's eye and melted another PC (who just rolled up another one).
I guess my problem is that as serious as alcoholism and self-destruction are, you can do pop-culture versions of them. You can do a Bogart or a Bukowski or a million other kinds of drunks, and you can do daredevils and War Boys and tons of fun stuff. But Epideromancers seem like they have more disturbing real-life examples than fictional ones.
Maybe I'd keep them as NPCs, since I wouldn't want to lose The Freak.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 8, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

If your Dipso has a Sig vessel, that's a plot hook in itself. How'd he get it? Who else wants it? What will they do to get it? I'd have it be gained in play.
Also 'magick' is balanced by Adepts being gently caress ups. That magick doesn't look as impressive next to the other guy's 'Lawyer 60%' skill. Even a rich Dipso should be a useless Alfie type.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I found a great McGuffin for your next Slasher, Hunter, or Unknown Armies game.

Maybe I should just leave this stuff in the Greg Stolze thread, or start a new UA rumors thread.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Unknown Armies is a game of POSTMODERN magick. You did it. Truth is malleable. It's the opposite of the 'codify everything with numbers' tact D&D takes. It's a different, more literary way of seeing the world.
On a less insane note, I love the free form skills. They're like FATE Aspects. We had one game where the pre-gem mother character healed everyone with band-aids and tender loving care.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I was watching an Adam Curtis doco last night that addressed all of this - the efforts governments went through to alter public perceptions after WW2, and what happened when they failed. And yeah lol at the idea of a history or reality that can't be altered by perception. Most people don't look at primary sources or evidence. Take a trawl through r/badhistory or just read any Lost Cause narrative or popular history. And if you alter the narratives people use to organize their lives, you can alter how they see the world.

Another Cliomancy question- who's history? Australia seems historically barren from a Western perspective but people say there's tons of Indigenous history. Can you charge off those sacred sites, or do you need to know about them first?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 9, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

Task Force: VALKYRIE hasn't much gotten an anti-magic gun, but they do have the Screamer Pistol (3 dots). If you can't concentrate, you can't cast spells. Stopping a spell in action is hard, but disrupting concentration is easier. The screamer pistol generates a beam of ultra-low-frequency sound which, at a distance, leads to hallucination and altered consciousness. At close range, it destroys the ability to concentrate and, in extreme cases, can hit the resonant frequency of the human bowel, causing it to violently vacate itself. Good luck casting a spell through that! This works on anything with a sense of balance and coherent thought processes...except werewolves, who appearently just get really angry.

The Malleus have access to the Revelationes Coelestes. Basically, they believe that magic is a pollution, like tainted blood. Historically, due to societal misogyny, menstrual blood was also seen as corrupt, so Saint Birgitta of Sweden wouldn't let her nuns ever touch altar clothes with their bare hands. The Benediction's name comes from her celestial revelations, because this Benediction highlights the 'pollution' of witches by forcing any witches nearby to spontaneously blood from various orificies - mouth, eyes, nose, occasionally vagina. ("[A] female witch might have her menses early.") No wounds, but it makes doing poo poo rather difficult.

White Wolf. White Wolf never changes.

At least Spider Jerusalem's Bowel Disruptor is kinda cool.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Cliomancy isn't limited to 'general' history, right? Can you specialize in music history and fight wars over who really invented rock and roll? Is the shift away from 'rockism' leaving bitter Greil Marcus and Lester Bangs Adepts scrambling for charges so they can bring it back on top? What school does the 'Stephen King shot John Lennon' van guy follow? What about that 'Garbologist' who hunted through Bob Dylan's trash? Are their local scene politics that are fought with blood and Magick, as Clios try and contextualize and justify the actions of the Dipsos, Epideromancers (GG Allin) and Entropomancers that actually play in bands? Does the Seattle setting book for Hunter say what REALLY caused Kurt Cobain's death?

How do I explain RPGs to my therapist?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I really want to do something with all the occult weirdness around Brian Wilson and Charles Manson.

Our last UA game actually ended with me somehow convincing the party to kill annoying local musician Ben Lee and then bottling his soul. I think I was an Urbanomancer/music journalist/self-insert who got them to rename the Metro 'the Ben Lee Memorial Theatre'. I got a Sig charge and the campaign ended. A few months ago, the Metro actually changed its name. Ben Lee is still alive, but he spent a year doing ayahuasca in the jungle.

Say, have I told you about my notes for a Hold Steady UA campaign?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Remember when Thorpe did a Your Band Sucks article where he invented a favourite band? Convincing a bunch of people that Egyptian Head really existed has got to be worth a significant charge.

Minor, surely. Unless you can convince Sasha Frere Jones and Pitchfork to review their album, getting a bunch of randoms at a festival to agree that a band exists is easy. Now my brain is sparking with stuff about Carles from Hipster Runoff and Lana Del Rey/Lizzie Grant, and I'm starting to wish I never read the words 'Unknown Armies' in a FATAL review on RPG.net.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

What's odd is that despite 'music is magic' being a pretty common idea, I don't think anyone has managed to write up a good Adept school based on that. I looked when I was playing, so maybe there's something on the site, but it's hard to get a good central paradox. Phonogram is probably the best we'll get.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

In the US, a few cells seek out haunted sites or possession cases in order to try and get the spirits to possess them briefly - it's a mind-altering experience, but a bit too far for many of the Abbey.

THAT's where they draw the line? Rape and murder and cannibalism are common, but letting some little spirit posses you so you can trip out is too far? In a 'neutral' version of Ashwood Abbey voluntary possession would be common, and some people would try and see what different spirits feel like when they're being ridden. You could even have snobs, like wine snobs but for spiritual highs.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

pkfan2004 posted:

To reiterate, I love how the groups in Spirit Slayers don't really know poo poo about werewolves.

Bear Lodge: hunt, track, kill. Spirit world? What's that?

Illuminated Brotherhood: Let's drop acid and talk to ghosts! Wait, werewolves are real!?

Talbot Group: Exorcisms and therapy can help these wolf men not be wolf men anymore, even if they were born that way.

The next group...oh boy, the next group.

I really like the Illuminated Brotherhood. Are werewolves still Eco-warriors? If so you think that would be a natural point of comparison, since most of the heavy hippies I know are really into the protecting the Earth stuff. I love that in nWoD drugs really CAN make you see the spirit world. It seems nice and fair.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Cythereal posted:

It does depend on how you play them and the Mage cosmology in your game, though. It's entirely valid to say that the Knights are absolutely correct and they're basically good guys protecting the world from an evil far greater than that which they serve. The Cainite Heresy are also defensible, though being a genuine cult puts them in very uncomfortable waters for many players.

Les Mysteres are just howling idiots, though.

The thing is that as somebody who doesn't know Werewolf cosmology, their beliefs make sense to me in terms of normal mythical and religious lore - spiritual possession and 'riding' is a real practice with a long history. So it makes sense that people would believe that. If the World of Darkness makes that a horrible idea, then that's where the horror comes in.

The Onion shows us the true terror of Cliomancy.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 10, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

echopapa posted:

Do you think the Yakuza started cutting off fingers in imitation of a boss who was an Epideromancer?

Nope. The magic schools in UA (with one or two exceptions) are all modern. That Yakuza stuff is a tradition that would predate post-modern magick. Help a few of the schools in the core, like Videomancy, would be gone or almost gone if you were running a new game today.
Though an Epidero who keeps cutting off fingers at imagined slights would be funny. That might explain that insane Takashi Miike movie with the sex changing and unbirthing and other yakuza insanity.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

Notably, mechanomancers are the only adept who have multiple ways to get a major charge and are the only one who can produce a "renewable" major charge (the sanity sacrifice option, although honestly that one isn't nearly as harsh as the others to begin with so I'd probably disallow it in my games).

Huh? The memory sacrifice is what makes Mechanomancers more than just a whacky steampunk school. You need to give up a part of YOURSELF to make your creatures. Is building your cool robot worth the memory of your wife's love?

Also you need to play this song when making a Mechanomancer: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JaLjwSpZ6Cs

The Narcos and Hunter's Acended Ones feel very similar, though the later are your typical WoD globe-trotting conspiracy.

SPOILER: Pornomancers have the least fun of all!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I'm more curious about how Nick Cave is still alive after all the drugs and, if his biography is accurate, car-surfing. That book (that focused on the early days of The Birthday Party and The Boys Next Door) also claims that he and Mick Harvey were so hosed up on drugs they spent a week speaking in a private language only they could understand, which would be a cool spell for either Narcos or Acending Ones. Make it so that even wizards can't understand it, only the people who take the drug.

Can you use Shane McGowan's original teeth for some kind of Dipsomancy charge?

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 10, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

oriongates posted:

I'm more referring to the mechanical effects of the sanity loss vs the Mind/Soul loss or the effort of finding and obtaining an appropriate historical artifact.

The memory aspect itself is totally fine, but I'd rather represent it as a loss of Mind/Soul rather than simply a Hardened and Failed notch. Those can be removed with a few months of therapy and (like the epideromancer's Major charges) I feel like if you're giving up a part of yourself for your charges it should be permanent.

Magick keys off Soul, and Mechanomancers probably need to be smart too, so they'd be handicapping themselves every time they build something big. I'd rather they be tempted to let the power corrupt them. And losing the memories is still a huge penalty in RP terms. I think Sanity notches are a good way to represent the changes in your personality that would cause.
I mean a Dipso can go to rehab and an Epidero's scars will heal but they're still hosed up.

Do Adepts have to know they're adepts? Or could Nick Cave think he's getting power from all his pretentious occult poo poo but it really comes from being a gently caress-up? I feel like this could be a fun basis for a character.
I also feel like I could make a case for Nick Cave being every single Adept, but that would just be creepy.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 10, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Flavivirus posted:

Adepts do - their paradox must be the lens through which they see the world. It's almost literally impossible for an adept to conceive of another path to magickal power working - their specific paradox is the one and only way the world works for them.

Avatars on the other hand don't have to be aware they're channeling a path, and I could easily see an Avatar path for the Privileged gently caress-Up.

I just think with common paradoxes like the ones powering Dipso, Entropo and Epideromancy you can gain and use Minor charges without knowing its magick. Things just work out if you're drunk, and you're always drunk. The adrenaline rush you get from surfing trains makes you invincible. Eventually someone else will notice and let you know what's going on and initiate you.

So what I'm saying is, UA encourages self-destruction. :devil:

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 10, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

They also have the Mark of the Beast - you see, Lucifer's power is far greater than any of his children, and the Lucifuge can call on that strength. It's not pleasant, but they can transform themselves, painfully, into immense demons. No two look the same or have the same features, but it's always bestial and demonic, and each hunter keeps the same one whenever they use this power. While transformed, they get boosted physical attributes, which ignore normal maximums, and may heal wounds of any type by spending 1 WP per wound, and get Armor 2/0. They cause terror in mortal witnesses, similar to Lunacy, and cannot remain long in this form. Any damage they suffer that exceeds their normal capacity does not carry over when they return to their normal form, but instead inflicts those wounds on the next person or thing they see before they fall unconscious. Any damage you cause in demonic form is always lethal unless it would be aggravated normally. After you revert, even if you don't immediately get knocked out from damage, you are exhausted and will be penalized until you get eight hours of sleep, as well as lessened resistance to degenerative insanity.

And there's Dante's Devil Trigger!
Why does it take 4 Dots to get that Acended Ones salve that slows down your perception of time and increases your combat effectiveness? There's cheaper ways to do that, if my experiments with Dark Souls are any indication.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Crasical posted:

Except for Ashwood Abbey. They're sorta more tolerable if seriously cut back on the rape and torture but I seriously would like to see the pitch for a coven of Abbey hunters who fit the bill of 'Whole-hearted good guys'.

I actually had to have PKFan explain to me -why- the Les Mysteries are so dangerous because I've never read Werewolf. Aside from the 'You're breaking SPIRIT LAW and a Woof is going to come gently caress you to death' part of spirit-pacts, I mean.

You can leave Ashwood as 'bored, rich thrill-seekers' but leave out the rape and murder. They're like rich kids who shoplift or deal drugs or go urban exploring. They've had a privileged life and now they want so excitement. So they shoot up vampire blood, smoke up spirits, go camping with werewolves and slumming with Slashers. YMMV, but from my point of view that makes them more sympathetic than The Long Night or half the other Pacts.

Think art school kids slumming it. And leave in the evil version of the Abbey since they make such good villians.

PantsOptional posted:

Obama and/or Putin for Ghost loving Blood Orgy 2K15.

Putin has hung out with Stephen Seagal and crazy biker rallies and posed shirtless with bears. A werewolf blood orgy would probably boost his popularity. Assuming they were good Russian wolves. Or werebears.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 11, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Why? Some of the other good guy pacts are religious fundamentalists, repentant Nazis, and the bloodline of Lucifer. 'Rich thrill-seekers' don't sound so bad. Annoying, but not bad. Though if you want to go the redemption route, pair them with The Union (the best, most underrated Pact).

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Since noted Communist China Mieville is the best steampunk author, you're not wrong.

Mors, please tell me the Union section has one of Marx's quotes about 'vampire capital'.

Remember that a quarter the schools in the UA corebook would be out of date now as magickal fashion changes. There's a constant stream of new ones on the website and some are decent.
Once we get into Avatars than your mind will really be blown. Trollman isn't an adept, he's a small-time Demogogue wanna be.

quote:

The bonus material is that NetZo is really on the verge of becoming a full-blown conspiracy. They're global, clandestine and pioneers of the New Media. The main things they need are organization and operations. Conspiracies have leaders, 99% of the time. They're top down. Someone will have to run the show. Their operations will need to be picked up - their own satellite, maybe, to piggyback on all kinds of transmissions. They'll need more people, too. And they'll need a more potent Endowment. Which the game provides.

When was this written? Because Network Zero is missing it's Wikileaks - the guys who hack vampire bank accounts and Cherion Group board minutes, then release them. It's impossible to make Julian Assange MORE of a White Wolf character, so leave a gap for the PCs to do that. It's also missing Anonymous, who wear cheap Van Helsing masks and provide IT and hacking support to whatever Union op catches their fancy.
I was going to say it needs an Alex Jones, but in the World of Darkness he would have been killed when he tried to crash an Ashwood Abbey party.

The Union is how I imagine the default Hunters to be, and if my group were Supernatural fans I'd probably make them the only group at the start, with the others as antagonists, at least at the very start.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 12, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Who's going to review Varg Vikernes' Mythic Fantasy Roleplaying Game? It's been awhile since this thread reviewed something really offensive.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Optional rule: Mask of the Beast masks must act like the animal masks in Hotline Miami. Yes, you can seriously hurt somebody by opening a door:
Personomancers are one of those Adepts that would make the real world make MORE sense if they existed. It'd give a concrete reason for those people who spend years pretending to be other random people online.

Or you can use it to play Hedwig & the Angry Inch.
Or Elvis.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jun 12, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I really don't want to derail the thread, but the 'white woman passes as black enough to become NAACP' official' story is all over my Facebook feed, and that's gotta be at least a Significant Personomancer charge?

Also, somebody please review the Varg Vikernes RPG. We make fun of John Wick for being an rear end in a top hat GM, but he never burned down churches or killed anyone.

The Bibliomancer stuff all seems really normal to me, but it doesn't impact my life. I do feel an actual taboo against destroying books - I can overcome it, but the idea inspires visceral revulsion in me. And I've got a bunch of books I'll never read, but doesn't everyone? And it doesn't impact my life, except when I need to move or something.

quote:

The Beauty Jar (5 dots) contains the severed head of buxom 50s starlet Jayne Mansfield. She died in a car crash, age 34, when a truck swerved to avoid another truck. Her decapitation is said to be a myth, but that is itself a myth to cover up that her head was stolen by a mad doctor hoping to reanimate an undead bride. The Aegis stepped in and took it back. The head itself is well-preserved in a brine-filled jar, but the hair is rotten and resembles seaweed. To use it takes a lot of willpower, plus it curses your driving skills. What you do is drink from the brine, which will mystically reproduce itself over a few days. This grants Fame 3, Striking Looks 4 and the ability to use any social skill as if you were trained at it. Your body becomes intensely attractive, lasting until you kiss someone. That's the only way to end the power. The kiss is profoundly foul, tasting of bug repellent, rot and brine. You're going to destroy your relationship with whoever you kiss, too, giving a mutual social penalty to each other for a month.

This reads like an Unknown Armies artifact. I think it's the use of a semi-obscure celebrity.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 12, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I don't think I've ever spent $1000 at once, but that's because I don't have it.

AmiYumi posted:

I get it slightly better now, it's just that the first image I had was that scene in Boiler Room where they go over to the raking-in-the-cash stockbroker's apartment, and it's empty other than like one couch and a bunch of crates. "I'm still moving in." I've known that guy; I think any of us with enough friends have known that guy. That's why it doesn't seem weird enough to me.

Half the Adepts are 'normal', though. There's a shitload of alcoholics and self-harmers and book nerds and drug dealers in the world. Part of what makes it so potent is the idea that maybe that weird guy everyone knows might be on to something (which also makes it disturbing and hosed up).

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 12, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

So, TCC goons.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I think Obsessions need to define your life. I know a guy who wears $500 Internet jeans and it barely impacts his life.
Pen goons need one of those mini-schools on the website.
Paradox: You spend $1000 on pens, but you never write anything.

Blast: The pen is mightier.

A spell where you can make somebody unable to type. No phones, no computers - you need to use a pen on paper.

And then some Death Note poo poo I guess.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

darthbob88 posted:

Pretty sure you did miss something, because Dipsos do get charges from both, with rare booze being more powerful than rare cups. Personally, I justify that kind of thing on game mechanics, because it provides an intermediate between a minor charge for a Bud light and a large charge for Pope Pius II's sacramental wine, and because it means significant charges are a renewable resource, same as for most adepts. Alternatively I suppose they could have done like Bibliophiles and made a significant charge dependent on getting a moderately-rare limited edition booze, like small-run whiskey or vintage wine.

But I thought Sig charges needed to be hard to get. "I need to go on eBay" or "the party is forced to use a fancy whisky bar as its base of operations" don't strike me as very arduous.
And there's no way a Bud Light is even a minor charge, since the rules say it has to actually be booze.

Could you do a Dipso variant for coffee snobs?

I'm not thrilled by Cherion Group's big secret. I think "shady biotech company harvests monsters" is good enough, especially if they're actually in it for the good of the world (and profit), despite what most people think.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 13, 2015

• Locked thread