Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

Mr.Misfit posted:

Alien Rope Burn - Wow. All that seems so.....so pointless. I mean, what kind of information does this even give the GM? If my players are currently on a Navy Carrier, of course that stuff is all on there, but it would have been on there without the need to count and categorize :D

Itīs just so....90s.

I dunno, a campaign set in and around a high-tech Naval ship sounds awesome. Make it like Star Trek and have the PC be the crew. Maybe toss in a bit of Snowpiercer, old world tech in the post-apocalypse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN
I used to believe in transhumanism - part of me still does, or wants to. Cutting off my arm and replacing it with a robot arm sounded easier than exercising. Now I've moved on, and I just paste chunks of the Futurist Maifesto in every thread because I love it's language.
Is there a good thread on SA for talking about this stuff? The Soylent thread kinda died, though the Dark Enlightenment thread is close.
I love the art in RIFTS Undersea, though. Way more high tech than the Waterworld stuff I liked as a kid, or Freakwave.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

That art is so rad it makes me want to play RIFTS. Or another game in the same setting with the same art.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Is there an official Tumblr to post all these cool images, like the X-Men and the RIFTS art?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Foglet posted:

Alan Moore has always had much to say about the lays of the multiverse.

He's friends with Moorcock, and several of Moorcock's characters make cameos in Moore's comics. What's the best game to let you play Jerry Cornelius? Or other Aspects of the Eternal Champion?

Nessus posted:

While I'm not sure on all the complex semiotics, the idea of a sorceror being on the verge of fully Awakening as a full-throttle kama-crazy MAGE and having that be some kind of hook for a gonzo action sequence sounds cool. I could even see "This is going to be hard, we're playing for keeps today, but if you should win, here you are."

Of course it would suck if you botch two rolls early on and John Constantine there dies. Kind of a wet fart of a game session there.

Nah, it's a chance for the player to rules-lawyer his way out of dying, in true John Constantine fashion. I really like that little scenario, actually. And of course I'm picturing it as Keanu talking to Keanu.
I want the tag line for John Wick 2 to just be 'Play Dirty'.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 23, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

Honestly by Weird Blitz, I'm thinking mostly of parallels to families and children being moved out into the relatively safe countryside than continued conflicts with the Zonemind's forces. A link between radio broadcasts attracting reprisals and blackout curtains could probably be made, with sufficient stretching. The spycraft angle never really worked for me, even with the Prisoner influences that didn't make the cut.

I've never really been sure of what to do with London, admittedly. There's plenty of room for Zaire to drop in robot Rippers or werewolves, or conflict between partisans and people who'd rather keep calm and carry on, but it feels like it's dodging the setting somehow.

I've probably just squinted at it too closely, without considering London in the context of the other Minds.

It's a Cozy Catastrophe: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2012/jul/05/jane-rogers-top-10-cosy-catastrophes

Just a pleasant British countryside apocalypse, like Day of the Triffids or the 60s Dalek movie.

quote:

Pendragon turns out to be the bad guy. The legends were just Uther's propaganda!
What if you ran a Harry Potter game and Harry Potter turned out the bad guy as an adult teacher! The novels were just Hogwarts propaganda!

I know we shouldn't judge history from our POV, but during the sympathetic Pendragon write-ups in this thread I still saw Pendragon as...maybe not a bad guy, but nobody I liked. He's a real dick in the originals too, if Myths Retold is to be believed.
And the 2nd one was done by Alan Moore.

This guy makes me want to play 7th Sea so I can be a black French duelist/violinist: http://badassoftheweek.com/index.cgi?id=25591814833

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 27, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

quote:

The other tie-in goes along with another John Wick game, Flux. Flux is based around the idea that the world periodically changes between realities, but only a few people notice. It's basically a tool to shift between different games and lives with the same characters. And in getting a view of different realities, she see that one of Lilith's former selves had been killed by Mr. Finger. He emphasizes doing this made Mr. Finger a much more tangible threat, but also established Mr. Finger as another figure that could sense the changes between realities.

Flux Flux actually sounds cool, I'd love to hear more about it. Could work for an Eternal Champion game.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

I've met so many Australians who grew up on Monkey Magic and who would probably love to play Sun Wukong in the World of Darkness, though that's clearly a terrible idea and why wouldn't you just use Exalted? Or Feng Shui, but 'modern day Sun Wukong' is a pretty vanilla character there.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Night10194 posted:

The saddest part is how shallow all three of these are, too. Especially the last one. Wick will forever be a 14 year old edgelord making his first homebrew after getting disillusioned with D&D.

Did D&D kill his dog or something?

Most of the other RPGs he mentions do sound more fun than D&D, and I'd love to play 7th Sea done right.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

TombsGrave posted:

I figure Wick would just throw a hissy and quit and write an extremely inaccurate story about how a bunch of powergaming jerks couldn't sufficiently immerse themselves in worlds of his creation.

As for settings: Unknown Armies is the only setting I can think of that I'd run basically unchanged, either in terms of specifics or in presumptions about game structure. UA hits this sweet spot for me where it does everything I wanna do as hard as I wanna do it. For most other settings I find myself tweaking things to one degree or the other, usually in favor of giving the PCs a bit more agency/ability to kick rear end, or making the setting less complex/more streamlined 'cause politics is generally not my bag.

Unknown Armies is so good it infected my worldview for awhile, and I want to tell everyone about it 'cause it's so awesome. Over the Edge sounds good too, and Mage: The Ascension is a close second. To actually play, I think I'd enjoy Feng Shui or 7th Sea.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

If you want the incredibly specifc TORG scenario of 'interdemensional business tries to buy up Japan and tangles with the Yakuza' done right, read the manga Tekkon Kinkreet.

And that Madlander stuff sounds super-interesting.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 31, 2015

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Mors Rattus posted:

Copperhead there is literally the only interesting character in the book. Bluesman snake guy! Sure. Why not.

I played an oMage character with that concept (I hadn't seen Changing Breeds). He used Life (and his guitar) to lead an army of snakes and ended the campaign by turning into a giant snake and simultaneously biting and being bitten by his PC rival, who turned into an evil octopus or something.

The last group of PCs sound like a Tom Robbins novel... I wouldn't mind the book of it was more weird one-offs like them, Drunk Sewer Gator, bug swarm, and possum thing. You could have the Tom Robbins Crew encountering them, maybe fighting/getting seduced by a satyr cult. Rape-Revenge Movie Faun could possibly be cool if she wasn't creepy.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 3, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Kurieg posted:

He legit thinks magic is real. I know at least some of the line devs were happy when he left white-wolf because of the dig they made at his expense in Pentex.

I dunno if that's a dealbreaker, since both Grant Morrison and Alan Moore think that and they write awesome stuff. Is he talking about Chaos Magick/PopMagick? 'Cause that's all over oMage - did it come out before or after Invisibles? They're very similar. I love oMage, though.
How's the Mystic Hermaphrodite archetype handled in Mage 20? It's something I've found interesting in Doom Patrol and Books of Magic, but I understand how it can be problematic.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Everything Counts posted:

One of these things is very much not like the others.

I get SUCH a 90s Vertigo vibe from this writing, though he's terrible at it. Did he ever bring in Plant Elementals to oWoD?

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Letting a Virtual Adept channel Neo from The Matrix makes perfect sense, especially in a game that shared DNA with The Invisibles and other inspirations for that movie. Does Brucato take a Chaos Magick 'whatever works' view? Even without that acid still fits the paradigm, since tons and tons of computer guys like Steve Jobs and the EFF founder took it.

VA Acid Trip: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4utHn-iUvoI

quote:

Among the greater faults Brucato makes in M20 is to completely steamroll the concept of a Paradigm. Several examples will involve characters using magick that is out-of-paradigm to them; the one that most readily comes to mind in the Virtual Adept casting spells with Kung Fu and dropping acid when the entire point of Virtual Adepts is that they believe the universe is a computer they can reprogram. There's also the occasionally hilarious "Focus" each splat is given, which is related to how the cast magick, and for the Virtual Adepts include "androgynous clothing" and "manga-inspired hairstyles".

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jan 4, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Bieeardo posted:

DiTerlizzi did a fair lot of stuff for the softcover run of Changeling, so I'm not surprised that they'd dig the old colour plates out or hire him on for new stuff. He's done a lot of traditional fairy and fantasy stuff, but the ones with little diagrams and exploded figures in sepia definitely speak more of a naturalist's notebook than changelings pausing for a magickal snapshot.

Has Brian Froud been tapped to do Changeling art yet?

Rand Brittain posted:

See, I totally disagree. M20 rolls the metaplot back to Second Edition, but it honesty keeps a lot of the infuriating tone and philosophy that burned people out on Revised. Revised announced that the Ascension War was over, and that coming to violence over your beliefs was dumb anyway--you should seek global Ascension instead! M20 doubles down on this and says that global Ascension is also bad--who are you to tell other people what to believe, even if you aren't using coercion? Seek personal Ascension instead.

M20 tells you that it's a mage's job to change the world but it doesn't really approve of any specific way you might change it other than seeking union with your own navel.

As above, so below. By changing yourself, you change reality. This is usually a metaphor, but when dealing with all powerful reality warpers than it stops being metaphor. I guess this makes most Mages those ones that live in their own personal reality bubble, which I'm okay with. Your navel can also be the Omphalos, the Navel of the World.

Count Chocula fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Jan 4, 2016

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

LatwPIAT posted:

My objections are less about people doing magick through Kung Fu and dropping acid than it is "these people who believe that all magick is computer programming do magick through Kung Fu and dropping a acid." Especially when the primary distinguishing feature between the character splats is how they do magick.

On the topic of anything goes, anything goes except non-conventional religious belief. Nothing is true, everything is permitted... except genuine religious belief in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.

They are using computer programming though - they're using drugs to hack the wetware of their brain, man. This kind of thinking has been present in modern computer culture since the beginning - Timothy Leary wrote a bunch about cyberculture and VR. Even Bill Gates dropped acid. Basically, Burning Man comes out of that too.

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

Seriously, go for it. The trans-is-magick idiocy from Brucato deserves to be picked apart and shown for the crap it is. (Plus, the rest sounds like it would be full of the usual WW fail from the skimming I did of someone else's copy - like the page or so on how turning vampires into lawn chairs is dumb.)

I have no idea why I'm defending Brucato so much - he seems like a lovely writer and a lovely person - but what makes his handing of 'trans-is-magick' worse than Unknown Armies' Archtype and The Freak? Is it because it's generally better written and better researched, or does an older game get more leeway?

Nessus posted:

I think the issue with Mage is creating situations where mages have to go out and actually do poo poo rather than crawling up their own rear end and reading a book. You can do this in Ars Magica but Ars Magica advertises it on the cover and even if your magus is jerking off to make the elixir of life for thirty years, you have companions, you have grogs.

The idea is that 'doing poo poo' and 'crawling up your rear end' (literally, like in Holy Mountain) or 'jerking off for 30 years' (literally, like in PopMagick) aren't mutually exclusive. By doing those things you change the mystic fabric of the world. Like Promethea, which is pretty much a bunch of issues of Promethea crawling up her own navel. I don' t know how you could work that into a game, but for magickal beings 'taking action' and 'contemplating their own navels so that they mess with the mystic forces governing the universe' could be the same thing. I dunno... in the one oMage game I played, every PC did their own weird thing - started cults, wandered off in the desert, formed a private army - and started plots by themselves that the GM then adjuciated. It actually ended up being a ton of fun!

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

Kurieg posted:

To a certain extent, yes. Also Unknown Armies doesn't juxtapose "Transpeople are majykk" against "Don't actually play nephandi or you will summon the unbidden ones that gnaw at the walls of the world!" You never get the feeling that the UA writers actually believe what they're saying is true, where as Brucato is a documented nutcase.

Also I'm not 100% familiar with how Avatars work in UA, but isn't the point of them that you're intentionally destroying your sense of self to adhere to some kind of gestalt concept that only exists in mankind's collective unconsciousness? That's doesn't seem like a metaphor for trans people to me, nor do I believe it was intended as one.

The stuff in Mage and Changeling is so common among hippie/neo-pagan/magic circles that it's not surprising WoD found somebody who writes for it that believes in it. And it's odd that you use that comparision, since I'm kinda obsessed with both those RPGs but the only one that's seriously threatened my sanity is UA, since it's so close to our real world.

By the way, if you want a good Unknown Armies adventure game, pick up Kentucky Route Zero on PC. You can ride the secret highways of America by tuning your radio to a certain station.

Is there a respectful way to put the Mystic Hermaphrodite archtype in a modern game? There's a character like that in The Invsibles who seems cool but also a bit wrong to modern eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

From what little I know of Gamma World, it's basically the inspiration for Nuclear Throne? That's the game where the starting characters include a fishman, a crystal being, and a psychic thing covered with eyes.

• Locked thread