Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drakar_och_Demoner, maybe? I know it started as a Runequest derivative and kept the ducks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
The reason why the games are designed for one shots is that enough private space and time to play is at a premium, so they tend to play in semi-public venues, like renting a Karaoke booth for a few hours.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Weirdly, from what I remember, WEG wasn't set up so much as an intentional tax loser as it was basically viewed as a giant piggy-bank they could use to bail out the owner's parents' company. And this actually worked while they had the Star Wars license. But then they lost that and started chasing the next big money maker and so much for the rainy day funds.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Wasn't the Dallas RPG just "How to Host a Murder" only the question always was "Who shot JR?"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

GimpInBlack posted:

Nope, you just lose any points in excess of 19. Sucks a bit, but a 19 in Beyond the Wall is way more valuable than in, say, 3E, so it more or less evens out.

Yeah, I tried rolling up a Reformed Bully and wound up with a 19 strength -very- quickly, to the point I had to use my one free choice to -not- get more useless strength bumps.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

I slightly curious as to why it seems that nobody who wrote about fictional future computers seemed to have heard of, or considered, just applying Moore's Law. Was is just that unknown back then?

It's especially glaring in stuff that came out after Shadowrun, which was smart enough to throw up its hands and just say "We're using completely made up units that have no relation to real world computer stats. It's all MEGAPULSES." And IIRC by 2E was going "Yeah, okay, storage as opposed to active memory is basically unlimited at this point."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

FMguru posted:

Most of the Torg cosms are "like escapist genre X, but with a twist". The pulp world was mixed with ancient Egypt, the cyberpunk world was mixed with corrupt medieval papacy, the other cyberpunk world was full of Hellraiser demons, the sci-fi world uses giant tree-ships to travel between stars, and so on. The fantasy world stood out for how generic it was, compared to the others.

The twist with the fantasy world was -supposed- to be "Was actually subject to early intervention by the space gods and that's where elves come from" but basically that got dropped when the space gods got made into Ancient Astronauts, IIRC.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I interpreted "pulp" as "pulp noir" for a second there, and now I wonder what fantasy Egypt meets noir would be like. "I could tell from the moment she stepped into the office that she was going to be trouble, and trouble was the last thing I needed. But there was something about her that wouldn't let you say 'no'. Maybe it was the sway of her legs, long and snaking like the Nile, or the way her voice reminded you of a wet-season night wasted away forgetting your sorrows over dates and jugs of wine. Or maybe it was because she had the head of a crocodile."

Honestly probably a valid Nile empire adventure starter.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Apparently the silver script stuff in Zir'an, which is where most of the complaints about the backgrounds centered, were actually in the form of -secret in-setting messages written in a crackable cipher. So the main point of them was to be an easter egg for cryptography nerds, I guess.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Also you can have pre-made spell lists and still have cool thematic magic by just assuming that, for example, that "Wizard" doesn't mean "Can do anything" Like Reign's lady centaur muscle wizards and fire dancers and stormtongues.

Meanwhile non-casters get to focus on esoteric disciplines and martial paths and so on.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Young Freud posted:

You said this was from Heliograph Publishing. I swear this was part of Game Developers' Workshop's line, along with Twilight 2000 and Space/Traveller 2300 A.D. (or just known as now as 2300 A.D.). You do know there's a computer game that's really special, since you can custom role an Anarchist Noblewoman armed with a Maxim machinegun in your party.

Also, I would play your retrofuture Space 1989. It would probably like a cross between William Gibson's script for Alien 3, as well as his short story stuff like "Red Star, Red Orbit" and "Hinterlands", and Hotline Miami.

You are both right! Space 1889 started as GDW game around the same time as Dark Conspiracy, but after GDW went under, Heliograph picked the rights.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Strength being equally good for wizards and fighters goes back forever, i don't know what that thread OP's talking about.

(Specifically it goes back to Tunnels and Trolls, where the wizard's mana pool is their strength stat, which was supposed to represent "Magic tires you out" but mostly just resulted in "Wizards spend their level up stat points to get super-swole in order to cast stronger spells.")

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

8one6 posted:

Isn't that the reason DX/IQ cost twice as much as ST/HT? I've only played 4e so I'm not sure how it worked in earlier GURPS editions.

That was a 4E Change- 3E and earlier they all cost the same.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Oh god, is that Legacy: War of Ages? I recognize that border and the bad photographic art and the bit of a dumb section header quote.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Traveller posted:

SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKER

I have no real comment on the game itself, I just think this picture is amazing because it's a viking snapping the neck of a hopping vampire.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

Also, the lack of Princess Tutu in the inspiration section is a little disappointing.

That's because Princess Tutu is Changeling: The Lost. Talespinning is a Drosselmeyer simulator.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey! She's been putting out albums for more than a decade now; some of her fans are in their 30s and only act like bemused teenager girls.

The biggest condemnation I have of Emilie Autumn is that every fan of hers I've ever met were also huge into Changeling: The Dreaming.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

To be fair, IIRC, that when someone noticed it was Dante and told White Wolf they pulled the picture from later printings and never hired that particular artist again.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

One day I will run a 52 MIB pickup game, where TFV, VASCU, The Barrett Commission, Division 6, and maybe a Cheiron team all get sent after the same target. Who in this scenario may be some very confused PCs.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

Are all those Hites in Hunter a reference to Kenneth Hite?
Are the Ascending Ones based on the Narco-Alchemists?

Ken Hite isn't a hunter character, he's in Mage. Where he's murdered because somehow he keeps accidentally writing too much of the truth and exposing the world to the Abyss. (Every copy of the suppressed transmissions have been bought by agents of the Mysterium.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Count Chocula posted:

THAT's where they draw the line? Rape and murder and cannibalism are common, but letting some little spirit posses you so you can trip out is too far? In a 'neutral' version of Ashwood Abbey voluntary possession would be common, and some people would try and see what different spirits feel like when they're being ridden. You could even have snobs, like wine snobs but for spiritual highs.

This would make the Abbey closer to the ghost-huffers from Expiration Date and anything that makes things more Tim Powers is pretty great in my book. (Admittedly I already used the ghost huffers as an abmortal group for a Geist Game, but hey.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I remember the UA mailing list discussions that formed the basis of Narco-alchemy mostly revolving around "So did Keith Richards find the elixir vitae and become immortal, or did he gently caress it up and become some sort of drug-lich?"

(Drug lich. The answer is drug lich.)

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It was Heinsoo that mentioned folks kept trying to buff the wizard and he had to fight them back down. Mearls...well. *Eyes the Essentials mage vs. all the Essentials Martials*

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I don't think Tweet was working on D&D directly at that point- he was part of the 'minis' team from when they were still trying to do a D&D miniatures game.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

The only cool steampunk I can think of recently is Through the Breach (and by extension Malifaux) because it keeps in mind that the wealthy and powerful imperialists are the bad guys.

Airship Pirates does this too; the default is that you're rebels against a repressive neo-Victorian regime.

The fact that this regime is explicitly the result of a Steampunk band (the creators/sponsors of the RPG, Abney Park) getting a time machine and using it while drunk in an effort to make Steampunk a dominant mainstream fashion trend is honestly kind of the best part, since it at least means they're self-aware about the whole thing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I never quite understood why that was a curse. Becoming a magical half-spider in a society obsessed with power at any cost seems pretty rad and metal as far as curses go.

That's one of the things they changed in 4E that made people super-mad. 4E Driders were blessed servants.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Plutomancy also specifically excludes conspicuous consumption because otherwise you lose all your magic. Unless, of course, you can con the guy into selling something valuable for much less than it's worth...

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I kept it when I ran it but I also made the vampires in question the truth behind the Big Lie of Division 6: The vampires are the original Culper Ring, now with fangs; the dude steering Division 6 knew just enough about what was going on there to steal the idea. So they are super-patriotic revolutionary war-era vampires. Like a bunch of blood drinking Ichabods from Sleepy Hollow.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The main thing I don't like about Mummy is that there's the seeds of a much better game than both Geist and Mummy trapped inside of it because it gives rules for lucid (And thus playable) ghosts.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The immortals blue WOD book makes a nice hit-list for Sin-eaters who want to focus in the Abmortals stuff that doesn't really get touched on too much corebook. Especially Blood Bathers and Harvesters.

The Persona/ Stephen King's It-style game I want to run at some point is basically Geist/Innocents, with a group of kids who got killed by some sort of monster and now are planning to kill it back.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

It always gets me when people say "Wish fulfillment" like it's a bad thing to have happen in an RPG session. Oh no, you might get things you want or enjoy out of playing a game with your friends!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

I think you mean Doctor Occult and Rose Psychic, maybe, not the Phantom Stranger?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

So Vlad's a vampire right? A secret vampire? I mean, it's about as blatant as it can get without waving a flag that says "VAMPIRE HERE"

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

theironjef posted:

I believe that's all FF9. FF8 had the weird orange furry weasel things and the Shumi, which were big-handed yellow guys I think?

Who were apparently actually the same species! The Shumi were weird.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Hypocrisy posted:

It seems to me like the elves probably should have worked on sending their gods home.

Plus, they have an 8 year limit on killing every human? That's a rough schedule to keep.

Now, Wizards have always been better than Fighters (don't believe their lies when they say that just happened in 3rd edition) but that's because none of Gygax's friends were ever as good as Robilar was so they needed the advantages.

Eighty years, not eight, but still it's not great. And that's assuming it actually works. Especially since the Seekers at least can point to "by the way Nyssor's alive and our being xenophobic dicks is indirectly responsible for what happened to his followers."

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

A lot of these illustrations from Mercenaries got recycled in the RPG as representative of the various careers, which now puts them in a very different context than before I knew about these characters.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The source material is full of "Rich noble dude who never gets the magical calling causes massive trouble for rightful ruler". There's Nobles who don't undergo the ordeal to become Knights in the Tortall stuff, who are often as not big jerks, the Queen's most trusted advisor in the first Heralds of Valdemar trilogy, etc, etc. These people are usually wrong and get exposed, but that doesn't mean there's not plot around it, and they totally do stuff the PCs will need to foil.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The best boss fight with God is DQ7, where God's not evil, he's just Brian Blessed and likes shouting and drinking and a good fight.

Also he comes and hangs around the bar you build in your town afterwards.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

The real love interest is the obviously the Prince's rival the plays up the Robin Hood angle and wants to reform the guild into something more Leverage or Thorn-of-Camorr-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Hey, the Runequest 3rd version Runequest: Vikings featured Finns!

...Almost exclusively as eccentric Sami wizards who make everything worse by keeping winds knotted up in leather strings.

• Locked thread