Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I sat through a Rifts combat once, a fight with some dudes against a bunch of those Xctxctcxctxtcx bug monsters that have a chunk of North America staked out and it was legitimately the most tedious goddamn thing I've ever witnessed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I've never actually known anyone who plays Hero is the thing. I mean, I know they exist given the prolific amount of sourcebooks that have been made for it, I know someone's gotta be buying them, I've just never actually met or gamed with anyone who was like "Oh yeah Hero, I used to play that" whereas it seems like most of the roleplayers I've encountered have at least one story about the time they were 12 and thought playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles would be a good idea.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

unseenlibrarian posted:

My experience with Hero has mostly been 'Folks who come into other supers games and get kind of pugnacious about them not doing everything Hero does, generally by naming a weird a corner case rule'

Also, awful, awful people who are all "But no, see, the Speed chart meaning I get two-three times more chances to act in a given scene than someone who didn't know what they were doing and just built a strong tough brick is great design and has no balance issues at all"

I remember one time that someone on RPGnet was weighing in on the versatility and universality of the Hero system by proudly stating "You can even use the Hero system to stat up a coffee mug if you wanted!" Like this was supposed to be a selling point, the ability to stat up common household wares.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

LatwPIAT posted:

When I listened to the April Fools' Duckman RPG review, I thought that it was based on an entirely made-up 90's cartoon, mixing all the tropes of low-budget "underground" animation into one parody that then was the basis for an entirely fictional RPG; one of those completely forgotten shows that occasionally gets mentioned by someone who was a fan, but has otherwise been so forgotten that basically only IMDB and a fansite from the 90's remembers it exists. I only learned today that Duckman was an actual cartoon.

This is the perfect punchline to the Duckman saga.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I think balancing factors for augmentations are fine for gameplay purposes or if you want to approach a certain tone or set of themes for your game, but that "getting cyberware makes you craaaaaaaazyyyyy or maybe KILLS YOUR SOUL ooooooh" is both overdone and badly handled a lot of the time because it generally boils down to "whoops, you passed the arbitrary augmentation threshold, you immediately turn into a psychotic spree-killer." A combination of actually interesting psychological impact as well as other assorted difficulties...debts and obligations, upkeep and maintenance, the SOTA advancing without you unless you struggle to keep up...would be better than "at X points of 'ware you turn into a psycho/die" imo.

• Locked thread