Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

Even since they stopped being edited by Scribendi.com, White Wolf has had editorial issues when it comes to copying. Danse Macabre had a chapter literally cut and pasted verbatim from the Mage Chronicler's Guide with names swapped around and the editor didn't notice until fans pointed it out.

Scribendi weren't that kind of editor. They're editors in the correcting spelling kind of way. That bigger-picture kind of thing is the purview of line editors, each of whom generally looks after one (or more, if they're workaholics) line. Which isn't to excuse anything, but a writer working in bad faith with a developer focusing on books for a different line will occasionally have poo poo like that slip through. Usually, the writer never gets hired again.

Also, Scribendi were utterly loving incompetent. Not just bad at editing in that they missed things that us writers done hosed up. Scribendi introduced errors into the text. Stupid schoolkid poo poo at that. In the Horror Recognition Guide, they "corrected" a perfectly normally-spelled "weird" to "wierd". In a heading. Made me look like a right tool when it came out...

VVVVV Sorry, didn't even notice it was "Even" until you pointed it out.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Go with Ancient Enemies. Let's see how badly they manage to gently caress up Tagers this time.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Zereth posted:

Exalted had a fixed target number, actually.

... Until the Sidereals book showed up.

Trinity had it before Exalted. I hacked Trinity so much...

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Plague of Hats posted:

Ettin already FF'd Nymphology. You could try The Slayer's Guide to Female Gamers? Round out the "collection" for the thread. Most of his other notable stuff appears to be contributions to products that probably wouldn't put up with the poo poo he's actually famous for.

Don't forget Hentacle, the tentacle-rape card game.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

You do get special extra numbers for playing a character in a wheelchair (unless your ST never puts you in a situation where being wheelchair-bound is a disadvantage, in which case sitting in a wheelchair is just flavour). That said, you're right on the topic of unbalanced XP progression; if unbalanced XP is bad, then whether you get the XP up front or when the Flaw comes into play both lead to players with Flaws ending up with more XP than their Flawless companions. (Unless the lack of Flaws lets them earn more XP through other means.)

But then, I'm increasingly arriving at the conclusion that awarding XP to players individually is a bad model in the first place, because the only reason to let it exist is to rewards players disproportionately. If what you want the system to allow is mechanical character growth, awarding XP to each character in even amounts as the entire party accomplishes tasks works just as well.

A friend noted that a problem with the nWoD model is also that it assumes that only the person with the Flaw is disadvantaged from it - but being, say, paraplegic is a flaw to the entire group when you have to carry the paraplegic to escape from a group of psycho killers. So it might be that to avoid unbalanced XP progression while allowing Flaws, you actually want the Flaw to add XP to the group's XP-pool whenever it comes up. (Or do the FATE model, where Aspects used against you don't give XP-bonuses at all, but instead let you make someone's broken leg disadvantage them more often when you fight them.)

The 2e nWoD system has an option for group XP, where all your beats go into a pot during the session then get evenly split between players at the end. Personally, I don't want to run a game that doesn't use that option.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Evil Mastermind posted:

I honestly can't get mad at Desburough anymore. All I feel is sorry for him. I just see stuff like this, shake my head, and think "this is what he's choosing to do with his life."

I can, and I will.

He used to use "but it's British humour, you wouldn't understand" for his poo poo (e.g. "Chav: The Knifing"), so a bunch of us Brit game designers had to point out that no, it's just Dezzie being a total dick. Then he moved to "it's not my fault, it's because I'm depressed/mentally ill" which riles me because I'm a game designer with bipolar disorder and I'd still cut my own fingers off before releasing anything as terrible as his back-catalogue.

He refuses to take ownership of the fact that the reason he is treated like a terrible human being is not because of outside factors but because he chooses to act like a terrible human being.

I don't have Tourettes, he's just a oval office.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Rein*Hagen was a great ideas guy but he was apparently a pain in the rear end to work with, basically a John Romero of the tabletop world. He had a rather firey falling out with Steve Wieck during a period of bad sales in '96 and left to go be awesome on his own terms.

The Black Dog section of Pentex gives us a little insight into what his co-workers thought working with him was like, same with Bill Bridges and Phil Brucato

That's Andrew Greenberg (who teamed up with Bill Bridges at Holistic Design to design Fading Suns), not Mark Rein•Hagen.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Aha, then apparently Fictonal Rein*Hagen stayed with the company longer than real Rein*Hagen, or wasn't put into the book at all. By process of elimination then he might be the developer depicted as mudering fans at a con rather than talking to them.

Mark's alter-ego didn't get mentioned much, but he is there: Günter Häagen•Däaz. All the Black Dog names are plays on White Wolf staffers' names, but most people were never that far down the rabbit-hole of internal references.

Edit The one you're thinking of is Jason O'Kelly, the goatee'd version of Justin Achilli, as seen here.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jan 6, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Yup, though pretty much all of the RPG work he did for WW (eg. Trinity) was under his middle name as Andrew Bates.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

theironjef posted:

Vanishing Point is a pretty darn good game and we're glad to have found it. Whether or not it's a total ripoff of Neverwhere is a different discussion. It's insane steampunk weirdos fighting and getting into goofy victorian intrigue on Planet Brain.

Holy poo poo I thought I was the only one to have a copy of Vanishing Point.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

wiegieman posted:

nWoD is what happened when oWoD writers grew up, had kids, got mortgages, and pulled their heads out of their collective asses. 20th is those people looking back on what they did and feeling the need to fix it.

Bear in mind that, apart from at the very start, the majority of White Wolf's (and now Onyx Path's) writers are freelancers, and that has a relatively high rate of churn — the people who wrote & designed early nWoD often hadn't been working on cWoD that long. Likewise, the 20th lines are a mix of people who are returning to the fold after lots of years away (sometimes, since the end of cWoD), those of us who only started with nWoD, and fans from the old days who finally gave us writing samples.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Actually it was Char himself that wondered about the Zeong's legs, and he was told "we're in space, the legs don't really matter".

"Legs don't matter in space", they say to the hot-shot ace whose main move when in space is kicking people.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

Challenge loving accepted, this claim requires testing.

Let's see it handle the Culture.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Night10194 posted:

Why is every single suggestion anime?

Why has no-one found the best suggestion? Do up Siddhartha.

Why do you think The Culture is anime?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Mr. Maltose posted:

Most Hunters aren't in Compacts, let alone Conspiracies. Also they might be from VASCU, who is totally not magic. They're psychic!

Speaking of, has anyone done Slasher?

(I just want to see the thread's take on VASCU, as they were a blast to write).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kavak posted:

Tactics are part of the the confused nature of combat in the nWoD. The rest of the system is supposed to be pretty fluid about character actions and capabilities, but stuff like fighting styles and tactics drive it back towards more granular D&D style combat. I think they originally were conceived as a way to make Werewolf packs truly scary, but that book may have come out after Hunter.

Pack Tactics showed up in The Rage (which was a fair bit before Hunter), but they were more an inspiration for Hunter's Tactics than a direct antecedent.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Tulul posted:

VASCU's my favorite conspiracy and the rest of the book is really good too.

VASCU's outline notes were pretty much "Psychic FBI agents. Go." So I took a lifetime of watching cop shows — Columbo, Law & Order, Wire in the Blood, Waking the Dead, Prime Suspect, Cracker — added plenty of X Files and Millennium, dissolved in a bottle of Laphroaig quarter-cask, and three days later VASCU was born. I'm still really goddamn proud of it.

Edit: Not that I don't expect the thread to rip it to shreds if you've got good reason, like it being funny.

DigitalRaven fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 29, 2015

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

pkfan2004 posted:

The act of cannibalism isn't inherently evil. It's just when you start adding certain things onto that, like "beating an entity into submission, tying it down and ritualistically eating it regardless of if it's alive or dead to gain its power for yourself" that makes it look kinda evil. Some of the starter character ideas stem from cannibalism being an act of survival (an archeologist trapped in a tomb with no immediate way out, a starving street kid who is being menaced with a cane) but they're still engaging in it after the fact for personal gain. Blood bathing and body-snatching in the Immortals book isn't inherently evil either but it's, mechanically, a lot easier to gut someone alive and roll around in the blood than it is to get pints from willing donors (that and blood bathers often start at 1 or 2 on the Karma meter). Mechanically, evil pays a lot better than good does.

Also yeah I guess it really isn't cannibalism. Eating sapient beings isn't inherently evil, etc. etc.

Evil or not, just don't eat the brain. Prion diseases are Not Fun™.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Just writing "Druid" on the sheet gets the party two fighters, extra fighters when you need them, plus spells. The very existence of the class in 3.5 takes the ridiculous assertion that the game is anywhere near balanced and sets it on fire.

The Aggressively Hegemonizing Ursine Swarm posted:

Consider the 8th level druid. Now, an 8th level druid can do many things, like cast spells or shapeshift, but they also get an animal companion. At 8th level, their animal companion is likely to be a brown bear. Now, a Brown Bear gets 3 attacks a round, is Large (he gets free attacks whenever anyone moves up to him), has a 27 strength, and can make grapple checks as a free action whenever it hits you. An 8th level fighter, for comparison, can only make 2 attacks a round, although he probably has better accuracy and AC and he should have more tricks to use than a bear.

But that's just one of the druid's abilities. The druid can also turn into a brown bear. So every time she wakes up in the morning, whatever else she does, an 8th level druid is, at minimum, 2 brown bears.

Except one of those brown bears can cast spells. There's a feat in the PHB that lets you cast spells while wildshaped without any penalty at all. Oh, and any magic cast on the druid automatically affects its animal companion for free. Druids get many, many spells that benefit animals, so this is a useful power.

So a druid is like two bears, each of them capable of more attacks per round than a fighter, except both bears can fly (Air Walk), both of them have magically enhanced claws, and one of them is throwing lighting bolts and and turning the ground to spikes and summoning more bears.

That's caster supremacy. One guy gets a sword and armor, the other person is an aggressively hegemonizing ursine swarm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

Doing a proper go-over of Trinity would almost require covering more than just the corebook because it went through something of an evolution in both tone and quality over the course of the line. The Trinity corebook is, to my recollection, kind of a weirdly disjointed mess...the opening fiction in particular I remember being a real headscratcher in the "what does this have to do with the game?" sense...but as later supplements were released the writers seemed to get more of a handle on things, aiming them in a vaguely space opera-ish direction that wasn't perhaps wildly original but at least worked to help focus the "what do I do with this?" issue.

Easy answer: "Holy poo poo we got George Alec Effinger."

Also, the Darkness Revealed series of adventures are really good.

• Locked thread