Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Nihilarian posted:

Agreed. The artist is at fault here, the guys in charge can't know every piece of art that exists.
I'm put in mind of the story of Nobilis 3E and how 68 pieces (all by a single person) turned out to have been blatantly copied from Touhou fanart. That led to a lot of headache, a printing delay, and a pull of the PDF to commission replacement art. Point is, people can and will trace art from all sorts of random things.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jan 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Zereth posted:

I thought three or four were confirmed, which tainted everything the artist did so they had to hire new people?
Possibly. I had to look up the details I recounted since it'd been a while since I heard about it, so I could've missed something.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I'll mention that the one game I briefly played of C:tL (it died out within a few sessions) stirred stronger emotions in me than any other WoD game I've ever played (though I never played Wraith which's its own kettle). Point being, C:tL is a pretty good game.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

InfiniteJesters posted:

Sometimes I wonder how well things like Tomb of Horrors and WLD would work in Dungeon World, where there's less statblocks to get in the way.

Does this make me a bad person?

Based on my experiences, those types of traps work fairly well in Dungeon World as long as you follow the general DW philosophy (i.e. give the players an opportunity to act instead of arbitrarily killing them without warning). Just follow the DMing rules (the GM agendas/principles/moves, not to mention the basic rule of 'make soft moves, make a hard move when the players fail or give you a golden opportunity') and things work out. Show them something's amiss, let them react (triggering Defy Danger or another move), stuff like that.

Arbitrary deaths aren't fun unless you're running it Paranoia style (which some people've already discussed doing).

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, at least the name has more relevance to the adventure than "Lamentations of the Flame Princess" has to do with the game.

I honestly like the name because it feels weirdly poetic to me, but that's just judging it as a name on its own merits (and my own strange tastes). I know absolutely nothing about the game other than the name and what I could get the gist of from the adventure writeup here (highly lethal retroclone, something like that).

Now I kinda want to play or read something actually good with a name like that. Probably something with a tragic mood, focusing on the struggles of the Flame Princess to reclaim what's hers. Or something like that.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Mar 23, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Regarding the doll people, yes, they aren't handled quite as well as they could be, but not as badly they could be. I certainly felt it was viable to play one in a non-creepy way (and she was created for a different purpose than companionship anyways). I'll discuss it a little more once Prof's actually covered the relevant parts of the setting.

And it's interesting trivia that the artist actually stopped drawing stuff like the cover after he got a girlfriend, if I correctly recall what I heard.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 28, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
I was a TMNT fan, so I bought the RPG rulebook when I saw it in the (now closed) local gameshop. I never actually played it--I didn't really play RPGs in-person due to my deafness (and the few times I tried with my dad interpreting, it sucked because I missed out on too much). But I had too much fun generating assorted mutant animals. Of course, in retrospective the system had a lot of issues. But I probably would create a TMNT character over a D&D one those days, largely because the 'roll up a background' stuff at least made it more interesting. I'd rather play the considerably better RPGs that implement that kind of character generation, though.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Vox kinda seems like the writer shoved in cool ideas without really thinking about them, how to best use them, or how well they fit together.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Rulebook Heavily posted:

e: Like newsflash, here's how the Norse depicted a penis:

This is Freyr. gently caress phallic symbolism, just slap a dong on him if that's what you want to say.

Yeah, lots of the ancients weren't exactly subtle with their phallic representations. If anything, they were generally fairly literal with it. They weren't very shy or screamish about that stuff. Stuff like a river of menstrual blood pops up in Norse mythology, and there're loads of stuff we would consider gross in myths in general.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Well, Toon is at least focuses around the Looney Tunes / Tom and Jerry sort of cartoons, though I don't know if the supplements try and drag into other genres.

One of the big issues with BESM 2e is that it's just trivial to make broken characters - people did it all the time when playing it in my experience, without meaning to. Unless the GM is willing to redline every character sheet, it'll fall apart once somebody actually decides to max out a useful attribute or trait to the exclusion of all else.

See my high accuracy, high number of attacks character. And she wasn't even peak broken. Or when I decided, "Hey, let's max out on seduction! :downs:" I was a dumbass teenager, okay. Anyway, that produced numbers the system just wasn't prepared to handle (much like the infamous Diplomacy or Bluff minmaxing D&D 3E builds). I feel especially sorry for the GM that time. But, to give an idea of what the group was like, it was drawn from the AOL Final Fantasy 7 board. Which turned more into a social club for kids who were into FF7 than anything. Not exactly the most mature lot.

Anyway, to give an idea, BESM 2E was a roll-under 2d6 system. Maxing out on a single skill plus its stat could get you something like a 18 target number to roll under. Maxed Appearance added an extra modifier to seduction, resulting in a total target number of 24. Even with negative modifiers, that was absolutely nuts.

3E was only barely more balanced. Barely. At least it had the sense to make stats more expensive and switch to a roll-over system. Still, those days I prefer something more specific and with less unnecessary complication. Or FATE which works okay for the action-packed genres. But then BESM was a product of its time and there've been some vast evolutions in tabletop RPGs since.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Jenna Moran is a fairly neat but difficult writer, who indeed could use better presentation (and trimming of some of the excessive details in her rule systems). I find her entertaining to read, but I think I probably have that 'borgstromancy' skill you're talking about.

Basically, her writing takes a lot of weird ideas and metaphors and whatnot in odd and literal directions. Because you're the embodiment of the sun, you can do sun things like devouring abstract concepts, embodying hope, having parts of yourself reflect your mood (those parts just happens to be things like sunbeams and whatnot), and so on. Or to give another example, because this guy's literally heartless he can, while he's in darkness, ignore chest wounds and blood loss, recover from any wound every once in a while, and act with heartless perfection.

I enjoy that kind of :catdrugs:, but it's not for everyone, really.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jun 18, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
In the end, Monsterhearts's a quality RPG, but there's no shame in it if it's not your thing.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

neonchameleon posted:

One of my friends calls it the 'mo people, 'mo problems scale. That the bigger your footprint in the game is the more the game comes up with problems for you to solve and the less able to solve the in-game problems on your own you are.

This isn't a bad description for what it's like playing a hardholder. You find yourself leaning on the other PCs to help solve your problems, at least the ones who aren't adding to them.

Mind, there're some problems that you can solve with violence or the threat of violence. They're just not the complicated ones.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Simple answer: ask any given person their favorite animal. Most likely it'll be a mammal and specific mammals'll likely be more popular. The furry fandom isn't immune to that sort of thing.

That plus influence from others in the subculture is why you get that kind of species spread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~
Something that strikes me about the Exodus RPG is how heteronormative it is. Not only that practically magical charm gaze attack but also the fake ads which're all about women swooping over men's equipment. If it was just that charm talent, it would still be eyebrow-raising (if nothing else for its mechanics alone) but the ads just add on to that feel even more.

Oh, yeah, and

Asimo posted:

Off-brand not-Vault Boy continues to be absolutely and unintentionally hilarious. :allears:
This is true.

• Locked thread