Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Either Urban Arcana or d20 Future. Those two were a hoot back when I was getting into RPGs, even though all I can remember of them is how Urban Arcana had some really endearing art of various D&D things in the modern day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Best of Both Worlds was the title of the third season finale/fourth season premiere of Star Trek: The Next Generation. It's apparently a good two episodes.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

He's just squatting in the Insect God's church, and the goblins are long dead.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Mar 21, 2014

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I'm pretty sure Stormtroopers being the Emperor's elite forces dates back at least to the WEG Star Wars RPG supplement Imperial Sourcebook (if not the first edition corebook) from '91, and KJA didn't get piblished until three years later.

:goonsay:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

theironjef posted:

Ooooh.... no I'm not. Those books have an Ewok X-Wing pilot and Corran Horn might be the Mariest of Sues (isn't his solo book called "I, Jedi"? I would kill that book with a gun). Granted the fog of Star Wars love was starting to lift from my eyes at the point, but yeah, I remember those books, and Michael A. Stackpole.
Stackpole never wrote a book with Lt. Kettch in it, he was Allston's character from the bloody great Wraith Squadron series. And he was a TIE pilot, dammit. :colbert:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

It's Hayami Rasenjin. In addition to illustrations, the guy also does manga. I've read two series of his: One about military logistics and another about a Russian witch who gets drafted into WWII. The latter is a thinly-veiled excuse to :spergin: over Russian folklore and Soviet technology.

The comics are actually pretty good, and Rasenjin's gotten a lot better at drawing since doing the TBZ comics. If you're into milsperg, be sure to check them out.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Rulebook Heavily already did it, but the review has apparently fallen into the dark abyss of the Archives.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

theironjef posted:

Except I don't remember the part in Spider Man where Kingpin breaks in and murders Aunt May to teach Spider Man a lesson about having useless old relatives.
Because it was Norman Osborn who did that.
loving Clone Saga. :negative:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

That, uh, sure was a lot of emphasis on how UNDERAGE and PERKY that girl was, and how much pleasure he got out of taking control of her character and then making her curl up into her hoodie no seriously someone call the loving police
"Out of high school" sort of implies that she's 18 or above. Man writes like a loving bully, going by ARB's choice quotes, but let's not crucify him for pedophilia while we're at it, good grief.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

AmiYumi posted:

I mean, honestly, can you blame me for taking that one extra mental step?
Well, uh, honestly? I actually do find it kind of uncomfortable a leap of logic. I mean come on, he might as well be describing a Buffy character.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Speaking of Iron Kingdoms and a hosed-up economy, here's a curious bit of trivia from the old D&D Iron Kingdoms era: Guns used to cost hundreds of gold pieces, from the 200 gp small pistol all the way to the Widowmakers' massive Vanar Liberator worth 725 gp. The ammunition costs varied by the caliber as well; One round for a small pistol could go for as little as 6 pieces of gold while the Vanar might cost a whopping 18.

For reference, the infamous wealth by level table recommends 900 gold pieces for the stalwart second-level adventurer. Hope you didn't want to make a Widowmaker, because after paying for that Vanar you only have the dough for four shots. All this for a gun that did 2d8+2 damage every third round.

Oh, and old IK gun rules required you to roll a skill check to reload your gun. If you flubbed it badly, the ammunition would be ruined and you'd have to try again.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 1, 2015

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

You'd think, but actually the Warcaster prestige class doesn't help with the spell failure at all. It just gives proficiency in Warcaster armor. It's a property of the armor that negates the penalty.

A funny thing about the Warcaster class. They've got two abilities, Warcaster Focus and Journeyman Training. Warcaster Focus is just a very fiddly implementation of the tabletop mechanic, the interesting one is Journeyman Training: It's not a single ability, but instead a collection of abilities you unlock at the DM's discretion during the roughly six to twelve months of military training it takes to be a Warcaster.

I sort of want to do a proper review of the Character Guide now, because turns out I've never actually read it. It's just full of these rules that do their darndest to really get into the nitty-gritty of the setting, but come with no actual guidelines how you're supposed to actually, y'know, use them in a game.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That starfish has seen some poo poo.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I never realized how much I missed funny animals doing cool things.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Doresh posted:

...ignoring stuff like the opponents intelligence, morale or general unwillingness to just run past the overmuscled freak wearing a ton of plate armor and wielding a giant sword that's on fire.
Ignoring the doof with the sword is, I think, fairly reasonable considering that the old lady behind him can plausibly kill everyone in the room with a handful of bat poo poo and some arcane gestures. :v:

Come to think of it, many games spend basically zero time talking about how this or that enemy behaves in combat, beyond vague generalizations like "ettins pick on the weak" or "kobolds are cowards". An adventure module might lay out some guidelines, but people who prefer to make their own or roll random encounters are kind of on their own. A lot of games drop a pile of guns and bombs and voulge-guisarmes on the players and the special abilities to go with them, but I haven't really seen a whole lot of support for the GM to make really interesting tactical scenarios around those tools. Most of the stuff is just boilerplate "oh just put in some environmental gimmicks like lava or something" when you could spend pages and pages on how different monsters' abilites combo in interesting ways, how to design good battlemaps and all that sort of miniatures gamey crap. I think someone made variant monster moves for Dungeon World that followed the pattern "when X, do Y". Those were pretty cool, and I'd love to see that sort of design space explored more in games that want to include that tactical combat element.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Simian_Prime posted:

The Gaja Simha

There's a pic in the book, but I couldn't find a scan. It's a lot scarier than this, I promise...
Ayup, it's pretty scary alright.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Kancolle is a cartoon series about teenage girls who "embody the spirit of battleships" and thus can strap on guns and waterski out to fight abyssal magical fleet girls. It's all about teenage ships with squeaky voices idolizing older teenage aircraft carriers, so it's obviously terrible poo poo for pedophiles or something.

It's just a really mediocre moe-and-explosions show to cash in on a popular browser game. If that's enough to drive you to drink, please stop watching Japanese TV, for your liver's sake.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tolan posted:

Whitehack
Yesssss, I was hoping someone would do this. :dance:

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I happen to have Burning Wheel and know it has rules for trade in the back, so how about we forget about blood and violence for a short moment and make a traveling merchant?

Incidentally, it's great to see you tackling this game. Burning Wheel is very dense a game, and it's nice to have someone explain it out to me. Heck, maybe I get around to playing it one day.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Mors Rattus posted:

The Huginn Visor (2 or 3 dots) were designed when someone realized most vampiric mind control required eye contact. They are made of dark, reflective glass to render that nearly impossible. Normal sunglasses have proven useless in this, but the visors are polarized specially and treated with strange chemicals. There are jokes, not entirely inaccurate, that the poo poo they use to treat them is made from faerie wings. The main style of visor is just a pair of sunglasses, but they can also come in contact lens variants - stealthier and harder to get rid of. The lenses are a bit less efficient, though, making eye contact slightly easier than the glasses. In all cases, they do cause trouble with low-light vision in the agents, though.
Wait, back the gently caress up. These are sunglasses. For fighting vampires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Yeah, let's find some witches. I want to see what Mage society looks like from the outside.

• Locked thread