Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Pieces of Peace posted:

Jesus christ John Wick is the very definition of the Dunning-Kruger Effect. This is exactly what some mouthy jackass who knows less than 1% of what he thinks he knows about anthropology would say. The closest real world analog to a heroquest is various cultures' shamanic rituals, which is completely unsurprising given that Greg Stafford is a practicing shaman.

I have to point out before this gets legs that Bacon was just making poo poo up and that Wick actually really likes and respects old Chaosium and Stafford's work in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

But that's not the part I asked you to run! VASCU is a Hunter group, while they hunt serial killers, they also hunt down any magic criminal.

I really want to run a PbP this year for the first time! But I already have a pretty defined idea of what that would be already.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I had actually forgotten I wrote up Pathfinder.

It's true!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Is this guy really bad at selling the adventure? Because a near-constant march from fight to fight, sideways swarm mechanics that somehow reduce the number of rolls even though all the individual soldiers act on their own initiative, and a final fight vs an 18th-level full caster that you have to kill three times doesn't sound very fun

Well, there's the opening adventure that delights in throwing invisible attackers or ambushes at the adventurers, including an ambush that requires a DC 30 Perception check to notice, with the presumption that the PCs are level 1. There's also the climactic battle around the turn to level 2 where a invisible foe just repeatedly summons and lures monsters at the characters while invisible, not that he needs to, he has Stealth +20 while the PCs suffer a Perception penalty...

... welcome to Pathfinder, you gonna die.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

PurpleXVI posted:

Hc Svnt Dracones: Extended Core

Why is her nametag just "Elisa" mirrored? That's the laziest way to do "alien" script ever. Either that or she put her clothes on back to front.

Beaten it to it, but yeah, they reversed the art at some point, which is a good way to annoy a lot of artists, since it often makes flaws in the art more obvious.

Also, is the name of the book really "Extended Core"? Yeesh.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Looks like the entire image was flipped for some reason because the number 5 on the table is backwards too

Yeah, it's an exceptionally bad idea because there's all that text on the screens you probably wouldn't even notice is actual text anymore.

Asimo posted:

I still love how they have to have a billion little different anatomical variations just hit hit that ultra specific kink each individual designer/player has. :geno:

I think if you want to make a furry game for furries and all their predilections that'd actually be alright, there's an audience for that. But they deserve a better game than this. Everybody deserves a better game than Hc Svnt Dracones. Or Changing Breeds, for that matter.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I don't understand how a furry game could be so pass-aggy against the The Wuzzles. C'monnn.

It makes me think of the great therian v otherkin debate as to whether or not you can have the soul of a creature that wasn't "real", like a dragon. Where a therian has an animal soul, you see, but otherkin actually started from people who thought they had elven souls / ancestry / whatever-the-gently caress, and the two subcultures are nowadays just lumped under "otherkin" these days even though they don't have that much overlap. The mindset goes "I have a wolf soul which is awesome, and you have a dragon soul, which I guess it's more awesome, but at least I have a real animal and BTW you are a liar." It's hilarious. Well. I find it hilarious, anyway.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

TombsGrave posted:

Speaking of Saga, though: can you make Ghus in Hc Svnt Dracones?

Sure, but why would you want to? I mean maybe if somebody had a gun to your head to play the drat thing, I guess...?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

E: Though we're probably gonna want a new thread for the new year.

Whenever Inklesspen catches up to archiving this thread would be a good cue to start anew.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

That's how stupid that whole thing was. Not only are they not Changelings, or related to them in a round about way, they can't even see their miens, the dreaming, or powers. Your character would also probably die in an area outside of East Asia because you're not getting prayer kickbacks.

It also bears mentioning that the Hsien magic system was hella busted. With some balancing and limitations, it probably would be okay (better than the Cantrip system by far, but that ain't saying much), but as it was written you could easily drop the roll-over difficulty to 2-4 for your core magic type, meaning Nyan could do things like 10+ levels of damage with no dodge.

Burn in your golden hell, meow.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Mors Rattus posted:

Step one: Purchase collectible random packs of Cantrips.

Step two: Continue to do so until you get the power you actually wanted

The Cantrip Cards were weird, and the fact they were in collectible packs was just bizarre, because you needed a full set for whatever you'd purchase in game. About the only point they served, other than marketing, was to randomize bunks and nightmares and force you to vary the powers you used. Of course, the problem that Arts and Realms were pretty underwhelming until you hit top-tier wasn't helped by having to discard them. It also forgot that some powers were really needed for utility's sake. "Oh, I already discarded my healing power this adventure, I can't use it again." Thankfully, they included alternate rules in the core, which I think is what everybody actually used. About the only cool thing about them was being able to play cards together and perform combos, but I think that idea was discarded in 2e, and it was never adequately explored in the first place.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Pretty much all of the Year of the Lotus stuff was busted. I think it was part of the selling strategy, get the anime fans and bring in the rest with the overpowered character options.

To an extent. Changeling was relatively underpowered compared to just about any other core game, though. So any competent supernatural type was "overpowered" compared to some of the dogshit changelings had to trudge through, like having to rank a Realm up to 5 just to do offensive effects against foes or having to blow Glamour and Willpower just to use their innate abilities against normal people.

Balance in oWoD was always sufficiently hosed and never at any time became any less hosed.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

inklesspen posted:

My archive is now (to the best of my knowledge) completely caught up with all three threads, with two exceptions: at some point Evil Mastermind rebooted the TORG review and I skipped the reboot because I would like EM to tell me what to do about that (merge it with the previous one, delete the previous one, etc), and also I skipped the fanskin writeups for Monsterhearts and Apocalypse World because they seemed to require a lot of back-and-forth conversation posts to make sense.

This is fantastic to see. I wanted to thank you a lot for your hard work preserving... a lot of hard work. I realized recently I've done nearly 15 F&Fs so far, and even forgotten occasionally about which ones I've done. And, dog help me, I'm working on another, because I don't learn.

I think the only question is whether or not it's possible to double-credit some reviews? There are the ones occams and I have done together (the Rifts Conversion Books 1 & 2) and I don't want to take all the credit for them. If not, we can have one credited to one of us and one to the other, perhaps?

Year of the Lotus was especially hosed because it had gems like the kitsune to go with all of the Kuei-Jin, Black Rain late 80's, early 90's Nipponophobia that was still a thing I guess in the late 90's. They wanted everything to be more powerful in Asia for some reason, along with massive heapings of Orientalism.

I think part of the key to YotL other than what you mentioned is that most of it came out through supplements. As far as I know, the only thing White Wolf generally playtested was the core books, and supplements just never got the same attention. A lot of storyteller system design just seems to be "eyeballing it", which generally what happens with any game with a supplement march, but White Wolf is unusual in that it added whole new character types on a regular basis that probably never touched a game before they touched a page.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Werewolf: the Apocalypse was a game that wanted to both have werewolf society be horribly flawed and also have it be largely correct about the world and never really reconciled those two notions.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I think I'll do a thread reboot later this evening for 2016, if there are no objections.

Taking suggestions for the thread title, in any case!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

For some reason "The Good, the Bad, and the d20." came to mind while exercising, it's fitting but... maybe trite? Also maybe something playing off of 4 (episode IV?) with this being the fourth thread? Hm.

Tasoth posted:

Fatal and Friends Revised: Burning Both Ends of the Wick.

No way am I putting his name in the title. Or any other name, really.

Doresh posted:

Oh, and as for the thread title: FATAL & FRIENDS 2016: Turbo Championship Edition Revised

4th Edition? Ultimate Edition would be little too self-serving, I think.

PurpleXVI posted:

I guess I should put off the next HSD post until after the new thread starts, then. :v:

I don't think anybody needs to put their posts off in the meantime unless you're starting a new review. inklesspen's archives should be archiving either way. But is there anybody who is doing a review that wants to keep this thread open until it's finished? I'll probably ask Ettin to close it once we have a new thread, since END ME SCOOB divested themselves of responsibility on the thread awhile back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

The new thread is up, check it out, and offer any suggestions if you have any.

• Locked thread