Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

It's as if we were all watching a somewhat decent play, when suddenly all the actors paused halfway through the second act to unleash wet farts at the audience as the curtain fell.

It's more like reading a comic, and the comic ending isn't super good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Maybe Nihei just got bored?

Or else he's just decided to draw a line under these characters and do a sequel series with the New Sidonia.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Autonomous Monster posted:

Maybe Nihei just got bored?

Or else he's just decided to draw a line under these characters and do a sequel series with the New Sidonia.

Well he did foreshadow something happening in the future of New Sidonia, so maybe there'll be a new series?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Who was the guy Izana ended up with? It's hard enough to distinguish any of Nihei's characters that don't have obvious unusual traits, let alone after a timeskip.

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.

Paracelsus posted:

Who was the guy Izana ended up with? It's hard enough to distinguish any of Nihei's characters that don't have obvious unusual traits, let alone after a timeskip.

Yuhata:

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
I really liked that ending, and I hope desperately we get a sequel series.

Xy Hapu
Mar 7, 2004

I think the reasons his ending arcs always feel like let downs is that he's just really bad at presenting drama, like objectively dramatic things happen but they're fed to us with a heavy dose of sedatives. The exact same ending but presented/paced by a different author would have probably felt like an amazing ending.

In other words it's like the gauna tried to mimic a good ending and while they hit all the technical points, they failed to capture the humanity of it and it ends up being 17 meters long.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Xy Hapu posted:

I think the reasons his ending arcs always feel like let downs is that he's just really bad at presenting drama, like objectively dramatic things happen but they're fed to us with a heavy dose of sedatives. The exact same ending but presented/paced by a different author would have probably felt like an amazing ending.

In other words it's like the gauna tried to mimic a good ending and while they hit all the technical points, they failed to capture the humanity of it and it ends up being 17 meters long.

His stuff always feels like it was made by an alien lol. W/ the weird writing and the cool detailed backgrounds + comparatively poorly drawn people

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

halleys comet posted:

His stuff always feels like it was made by an alien lol. W/ the weird writing and the cool detailed backgrounds + comparatively poorly drawn people

Not an alien, a beetle.

Anyways, this may be the best ending (or even close to a good one) but he did tie up most plot threads and had a well-defined ending where you know what happened to the characters and what they'll do in the future. Fine with me!

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012
Reading your comments I expected a really terrible ending and prepared myself for the worst, and now that I finally read it turns out it's kinda ok. It's so much better than what I was promised that I sort of like it, even though it's completely average.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I Love Annie May posted:

Reading your comments I expected a really terrible ending and prepared myself for the worst, and now that I finally read it turns out it's kinda ok. It's so much better than what I was promised that I sort of like it, even though it's completely average.

Yeah it was a rushed "and they all lived happily ever after" ending with a hook into a potential sequel if he ever feels like it. I would've loved to see more adventures of the Sidonia but I'm pretty neutral on this ending, wasn't great, wasn't horrible, just...there.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would call that quite obviously rushed but not awful in of itself. Reminded me of the one that The World God Only Knows got a while back.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I liked the ending :3:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nate RFB posted:

I would call that quite obviously rushed but not awful in of itself. Reminded me of the one that The World God Only Knows got a while back.

Pretty much my feelings. I don't really mind the content of the ending, it was just very rushed.

immortal flow
Jun 6, 2003
boing boing boing
I just marathoned the entire Sidonia series + manga over the last couple of days and what the gently caress is that romance and what the gently caress is that ending :argh: get with your bigendered buddy, not the 5-story alien hybrid war machine with the mentality of a child / little sister you freak. I'm miffed about romantic canon.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Um, tsumugi is the best ok. Let robot(?)s love too

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I generally liked the ending, and I love how unabashedly and casually weird this series is. Some series talk about trans-humanism, but this series REALLY means it.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
I wonder how that kid is going to turn out, considering that her father is some kind of immortal and her mother is technically made out of placenta. Isn't that how chimeras are made?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Avulsion posted:

I wonder how that kid is going to turn out, considering that her father is some kind of immortal and her mother is technically made out of placenta. Isn't that how chimeras are made?

It is, but Tsumugi seems to have become more complete than the earlier doubles. I wouldn't rule out SUPERPOWERS though.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

immortal flow posted:

I just marathoned the entire Sidonia series + manga over the last couple of days and what the gently caress is that romance and what the gently caress is that ending :argh: get with your bigendered buddy, not the 5-story alien hybrid war machine with the mentality of a child / little sister you freak. I'm miffed about romantic canon.

But now she's got both the looks and part of the personality of Tanikaze's crush who died ages ago, instead. This is totally better and not horrifying in the least.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Kassad posted:

But now she's got both the looks and part of the personality of Tanikaze's crush who died ages ago, instead. This is totally better and not horrifying in the least.

That's repulsive to the extreme.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

man characterizing Tsumugi as having "the mentality of a child" is dumb as poo poo, she was naive at first but that phase didn't last and she is pretty clearly emotionally mature by later chapters. Also genetically she's like 50% hoshijiro anyway, in case you forgot

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

my biggest complaint with the ending is that it's totally lacking in climax. the rush on these last few chapters pretty much blocks that off, though.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

so what do I need to watch like a hawk to find out about Nihei's next manga, when/if one is decided?

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
Wasn't the whole mini-ocean on the front half of Sidonia that got clobbered off? Are they just eating guana-bits on this planet? Maybe they had seeds and junk stashed somewhere else.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

Zenzirouj posted:

Wasn't the whole mini-ocean on the front half of Sidonia that got clobbered off? Are they just eating guana-bits on this planet? Maybe they had seeds and junk stashed somewhere else.

They're pretty good at cloning.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
poo poo, this thread blows my mind. I still have Noise and all volumes of Blame! (the later ones in storage), but never thought Nihei would make more comics! I just kind of assumed nobody bought his weird poo poo anymore and that's it.

Also, all his manga are translated into German, so this means when Knights of Sidonia is completely published (the German version is still at volume 12, it seems), I finally have a reason to buy manga again.

Though it's a bit weird. The series is finished but the German publisher needs 7 months to translate the last volume? What the hell is this poo poo. Back when I was reading manga, they put out finished volumes 1-2 months after the Japanese release. Welp, time to wait for me.

Edit:

Looking more stuff up, it looks like volume 15 was the end of the manga. OK, Egmont now you're taking the piss, you better not take 7 months for volumes 14-15, too! :argh:

Libluini fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 9, 2015

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
They were probably so astounded by how bad the ending was that they lost their work ethic

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Relin posted:

They were probably so astounded by how bad the ending was that they lost their work ethic

It's an happy ending and it's easy to understand. Good enough for me. Looks like Nihei stopped doing drugs when writing this manga.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
He just wanted to make his daughter happy. :shobon:

Ghost of Babyhead fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Dec 9, 2015

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
thats fuckin brutal, nihei junior

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
http://manga.life/read-online/SidoniaNoKishi/chapter-78.5/index-1

Knights of Sidonia/Blame! crossover special

https://my.mixtape.moe/eebojy.webm

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I'm running an rpg based on Blame!, Biomega, and Nihei's whole style over in TG, if anyone here's interested. The setting is fairly open and will be partly defined by the players during setup, and the system is free and super-simple. The scenario is pretty much the whole Electrofisher arc from Blame! - a bunch of walking WMDs, superhuman scientists, and tribal warriors defend a remnant of humanity from a blindly hostile artificial world.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I have no clue what any of that was about but the architecture was drawn good.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pewdiepie posted:

I have no clue what any of that was about but the architecture was drawn good.

That guy is looking for the Net Terminal gene which is required to access the Net Sphere, which is the only way to control that automatic building/maintenance systems that build the good-drawn architecture, which kill anyone who is a threat to them or who tries to access the Net Sphere without the proper genes. That thing on the bridge with him was from one of the (at least) three different factions of post-human monsters vying for control of the Net Sphere.

I really love where Nihei went with the combination of the self-replicating machines consuming all resources (can't really call it "grey goo" here) trope + skynet/technological singularity. Nothing else is quite like it.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
It's surprisingly hopeful really. It may have taken a long....long....long time, but Killy and the Authority sure do keep trying to fix things. And of course, eventually do. Even the crazy rear end silicon lifeforms get saved in the end.

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

It's surprisingly hopeful really. It may have taken a long....long....long time, but Killy and the Authority sure do keep trying to fix things. And of course, eventually do. Even the crazy rear end silicon lifeforms get saved in the end.

Killy is basically the terminator crossed with wall-e.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I would like to check in to this thread to say I read BLAMe! The first half/three quarters of it was I think one of the greatest manga I've ever read then I kinda lost track of the plot and the series ended, on what I felt was a flat note. Now I'm rereading Sidonia and that manga is way more lucid than I ever remember it being -- I'll chalk it up to being able read the chapters all at once instead of waiting weeks/months between chapter translations. I'm about halfway through right now. I love it. Sidonia is the greatest harem series ever put from pen to paper. Next I plan to read Biomega and as far as I understand thats the "trilogy". I hope my brain can handle it.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
If you read BLAME! and thought to yourself, "This is great but it would make a lot more sense if there was an android and a bear jumping a motorcycle off the roof of an exploding gothic cathedral" then you're gonna love Biomega.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Biomega is great. I'm not sure that I like it more than Blame but it's close, probably because Zoichi is basically Killy but with (sort of) a personality. You should check out Abara as well. Wish it would get an English release, I'd love to own a copy I could read.

• Locked thread