Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dessel posted:

My biggest problem with the series is that I have really hard time telling characters apart - It doesn't help I have a terrible name memory. Also there are apparent immortals/people who look young for ages, so pretty much the entire cast is young. Talking of that, I wonder how eternal youth would basically affect how people act, would they skip some part of maturing? I started to think about this when Izana's granny displayed her old wardrobe: Are there any particular reasons apart from working as "an official" for dropping them This is interesting in the respect that the very idea of childhood is kind of a fairly new construct as an idea to some degree. Adolescence more so. But I doubt the series will explore these questions. I'm also not sure the granny is entirely trustworthy - Where's the mother? Dead? Why? I'm just baselessly speculating she might be interested in using Izana to prolong her life.

I really doubt that last one. Granny is already immortal, and if she needed another body she could just clone a new one like was done with Nagate's "grandfather". And as for being called granny, Nagate called the man he was a clone of his grandfather. And a lot of people on the ship are clones, and almost everyone is going to be descended from clones. So terms of familial endearment are probably less exact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

Also, people doing photosynthesis implies that the entirety of Sidonia is sexually immature and does not partake in casual sex or sex for pleasure? This probably helps with population control and overextension of resources. Given the rampant transhumanism, most reproduction is probably cloning or in vitro fertilization anyway right?

Why the hell would photosynthesis imply they're sexually immature? I really have no idea what your logic is there.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

Transhumanism leading to cloning / test tube as the go to means of procreation, flirting with 'photosynthesis' instead of sex, characters acting like awkward teenagers, and no mention of sex that I could recall (which I've since been proven wrong on). Well it made sense to me at the time.

Just because procreation is done via other means doesn't mean people will stop loving. They'd have to actively remove the ability to procreate manually, and if they did that they may as well go out and remove physical sexes altogether.

Zorak posted:

One of the main characters is literally a genetically developed intersexual person who can "select" their sex based on attractions. The "photosynthesis" flirting is I'm pretty sure more that "hey, let's get naked for this completely innocent thing *WINK*" is apparently more the ship culture than super casual flings. Also: it's a manga.

And that just kinda confirms that people probably are procreating the old fashioned way. If people had given up on sex, what would be the point of being able to (sort of) select what your physical sex becomes? If everyone were born in test tubes, they'd all be neuter or something.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I'm still processing what I just saw. Tanikaze even did a little foot-pop. Amazing.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Pierson posted:

Oh man, she coulda pulled it off. :(

I'm not so sure about that. It seems to me that Ochiai was probably going to take over whether Tsumugi managed to calm the chimera down or not. Still, it doesn't change the fact that sucker punching him just when someone had managed to calm him down is pretty horrible.

I wouldn't be very surprised if Tsumugi was wary of the captain from now on. And if Tsumugi is wary, Tanikaze would probably be with her.

• Locked thread