Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Gromit posted:

Skinner lived for sure. No way was he going to do all those magic secrets revealed shows without picking up a trick or two.

I think you just saved the finale for me - Skinner disappears in a puff of smoke right before the car hits him.

Next season is Mulder and Skinner teaming up, and Skinner keeps trying to work magic tricks into the cases.

"Mulder what if we let this guy handcuff us, I can get out then with the key I keep lodged in my molar! Then we can hide in a box but really, we're escaping through the floor!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Gromit posted:

Skinner lived for sure. No way was he going to do all those magic secrets revealed shows without picking up a trick or two.

That show is actually pretty great too. Especially with all the double entendres and sleazy lines they wrote for the Skinman.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

No he isn't. He just faked his death.

Yeah, no clue if UK people saw it, but the postcredits scene was him rising up from the water

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
My Struggle... to write a compelling storyline in old age.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

Dmitri-9 posted:

Decades? Aren't the aliens related to the million year old black oil?

Yep, but the aliens were actively working with the Syndicate since the 1950s. We did get the William is alive twist clip, what I mean is that there's not really anyone after him now, so he's off the table in terms of super plan to conquer the Earth.

Seriously though, CSM hand waving why the aliens didn't invade in 2012 like they planned to in the original show was bad, but the Syndicate just going 'oh yeah they just gave up because Global Warming' was amazingly bad. The problem with the mythology episodes is that they had loads of great moments and ideas, but couldn't tie them together in a statisfying way (what DID happen with the alien rebels thing), and that problem was worse in the revival. Like the original show ends with the US government infiltrated by super soliders who are preparing for the colonists to attack in 2012, the movie and new show is like 'lol no' and now the CSM is trying to help the enviroment...or something? I'm guessing that they couldn't afford to have a full alien invasion on a TV budget. It seemed like the show was always reluctant to shake up the status quo too much for more than a few episodes. The mythology episodes had some fantastic bits, but Monster of the Week is the X-Files's bread and butter. The best part of the My Struggle episodes was having William B. Davis be sinster and Mitch Pileggi say things in a stern voice, tbh.

It felt more like an ending for Mulder and Scully this time round, even if it wasn't a great one. They totally wasted Joel McHale though.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Mar 28, 2018

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Scully got over the death of her son just as quickly as she got over the death of her daughter, and I'm pretty sure she used the same rationale almost verbatim (they were an experiment etc.)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The aliens should have invaded and the Detecs should have been solving MotW in the brave new world for their overlords (note: I have no clue what the mytharc amounted to except these last episodes)

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
BBCA is running an X-FIles marathon this weekend. It appears they're using the restored episodes re-framed to 16:9.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Mister Kingdom posted:

BBCA is running an X-FIles marathon this weekend. It appears they're using the restored episodes re-framed to 16:9.

1993 X-Files is so retro. I feel old watching it.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

Shitenshi posted:

1993 X-Files is so retro. I feel old watching it.

It's hard to say out loud, but I've been watching this show for 25 goddamn years.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
So Scully was drugged and almost raped by a weird guy in a cult, and after Mulder saves her, he describes the incident where she lay limply on the bed while this guy was ready to violate her as her being "ready to do the wild thing with this guy," even though it was anything but consensual. Later she for some reason can't find it in her to shoot the same guy when his pseudo-Amish group try and stop her from taking a killer into custody who belonged to their group even though she's an FBI agent and doctor?

Man this show had a rough start.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shitenshi posted:

So Scully was drugged and almost raped by a weird guy in a cult, and after Mulder saves her, he describes the incident where she lay limply on the bed while this guy was ready to violate her as her being "ready to do the wild thing with this guy," even though it was anything but consensual. Later she for some reason can't find it in her to shoot the same guy when his pseudo-Amish group try and stop her from taking a killer into custody who belonged to their group even though she's an FBI agent and doctor?

Then there was the ghost rape episode in season two.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen that episode but wasn’t Mulder unaware of the groups special abilities at the time he said that? And I always thought Sculley’s reluctance to shoot was residual from his whatever ability.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

It’s been a while since I’ve seen that episode but wasn’t Mulder unaware of the groups special abilities at the time he said that? And I always thought Sculley’s reluctance to shoot was residual from his whatever ability.

It's more that she was clearly out of it and he still described it as her ready to gently caress him when it was clearly rape. That and the group only seemed to have power over their victims when they touched their hands. I mean I guess it's possible it was some sort of air-based effect too, but it still looks like this guy had some emotional hold over her when as an FBI agent whose job is to bring in scum on a regular basis, should at least be contemplating filling him with lead for what he tried to do to her.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I never watched late episodes of original run TXF and especially don't remember mytharc poo poo. And all the My Struggle poo poo was pretty forgettable. Why was Reyes with Ciggie? She was my least favorite of the main leads cuz lets be honest she was no doggett but even so I liked her well enough in the motw stuff I saw her in. But what is/was the storyline reason that she was helping the series main badguy?

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

Original x-files had a ton of bad takes on sex and consent. See also, Small Potatoes, Post Modern Prometheus.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Milo and POTUS posted:

I never watched late episodes of original run TXF and especially don't remember mytharc poo poo. And all the My Struggle poo poo was pretty forgettable. Why was Reyes with Ciggie? She was my least favorite of the main leads cuz lets be honest she was no doggett but even so I liked her well enough in the motw stuff I saw her in. But what is/was the storyline reason that she was helping the series main badguy?

She gave some shpeil at the end of S10 about it, but I'll admit that I don't remember many specifics beyond "well, I mean, he's a good pitch man, and I like the idea of not being living impaired, so," and that it was otherwise flimsy as hell. ...And on a quick rewatch of her reintroduction, it seems like it's possible? maybe? that she was in it to get a handle on what the dude was planning, but that's if you're going with a generous interpretation that's more in line with her character. Left as it is, it mostly just comes off as looking to protect herself/her friends from the oncoming virus, when I always figured she was more altruistic than that.

It's suggested he showed her a mountain of proof to lock her into a deal, but IDK. That scene never made a hell of a lot of sense to me to begin with, Reyes switching sides was basically just another gimmicky "twist" thrown in for flavor, but there wasn't much substance to it.

EDIT: Also, I mean-- that episode got largely St. Elsewhere'd anyway, so who the hell knows how much of that conversation actually-for-real took place, and how much of it was just kind of. there.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 17, 2018

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I have a feeling Carter just decided that he needed a supporting character to return as a baddy, and just drew Reyes' name out of a hat.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

BrandonGK posted:

I have a feeling Carter just decided that he needed a supporting character to return as a baddy, and just drew Reyes' name out of a hat.

Might be part of the reason Robert Patrick said a full-throated "gently caress no" to reprising Doggett. The other part being 'I'm super busy,' apparently.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Robert Patrick has also gotten super bloated over the last decade or so.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Timby posted:

Robert Patrick has also gotten super bloated over the last decade or so.

Didn't stop Duchovny from coming back.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Im about halfway through season six maybe my third attempt at a rewatch. Im going to make it this time.

Any really great episodes left in seasons 7,8,9?

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Hungry, Goldberg Variation, Amazing Maleeni, Closure, X-Cops, En Ami, Je Souhaite, Requiem are all solid S7 episodes.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Im about halfway through season six maybe my third attempt at a rewatch. Im going to make it this time.

Any really great episodes left in seasons 7,8,9?

Burt Reynolds' ep (that I am forgetting the name of-- Improbable? w/e, phone posting) in S9 is better than it has any right to be.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Improbable is good, yeah, and the Vince Gilligan episodes in Seasons 8 and 9 are good too. (Roadrunners, Sunshine Days and the proto-Breaking Bad one whose name I can never remember).

I've a big thing for This Is Not Happening as well, but it's a myth arc episode so I can see why people wouldn't be a fan.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Laterite posted:

Hungry, Goldberg Variation, Amazing Maleeni, Closure, X-Cops, En Ami, Je Souhaite, Requiem are all solid S7 episodes.

Also Hollywood AD.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The season 8 two-parter finale is good as hell, especially since you finally get closure on the Skinner/Krycek storyline in the best way possible.

Old Boot posted:

Might be part of the reason Robert Patrick said a full-throated "gently caress no" to reprising Doggett. The other part being 'I'm super busy,' apparently.
By all indications he really wanted to do it, but he's a main cast member on Scorpion which shoots 24 episodes per season.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I just started watching and got to FLUKEMAN and I wish every monster wasn't a radioactive mutant

A giant worm would've been cooler than that goofy thing

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

I just started watching and got to FLUKEMAN and I wish every monster wasn't a radioactive mutant

A giant worm would've been cooler than that goofy thing

How dare you sir.

sticklefifer posted:

By all indications he really wanted to do it, but he's a main cast member on Scorpion which shoots 24 episodes per season.

Huh. For some reason I recall reading somewhere that he gently caress no'd his way out of it.

Well, that sucks.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
I finally watched the finale. Just when I think they can't make the ending any worse than the last one, Chris Carter rises to the challenge. Jesus Christ. The story, the acting, the dialogue, the editing, I mean literally every single thing was god awful.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

It's a drat shame because there were a handful of actually good episodes this season too and one excellent one. And I couldnt wish a ghost post on a better show.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She’s my hero.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!
There is a reason she's been my avatar for the last 14 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, it doesn't change much. Anything after season 7 isn't canon.

• Locked thread