Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I started rewatching the show from beginning with MY GIRLFRIEND recently, and we're both loving it. Doing it in order means I'm seeing the 'minor' episodes that I probably only watched on their original broadcast, and I'm quite surprised how much I've enjoyed ones that I'd passed over when I got the DVDs, like 'Shadows', 'Miracle Man' and 'Roland'. Even 'Born Again' and '3' were... well, not exactly good, but so far even the weakest episodes have still contained something interesting.

I'm not eagerly anticipating episodes that I remember boring me shitless on first broadcast, though. 'Dod Kalm' and 'The Field Where I Died' are both lurking in the future...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I'd completely forgotten that 'Red Museum' was part of the mytharc. Cultists and slaughterhouses and creepy voyeurs, then suddenly BAM! Purity Control out of nowhere!

I've also annoyed the hell out of my girlfriend by improvising lyrics to match both the whistling and the visuals in the opening titles, and now she can't get them out of her head: :haw:

A wobbly UFO,
A glowing plasma globe.
Two germinating seeds,
And David Duchovny.
With Gillian Anderson,
And a white falling man,
An eye.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Feb 24, 2014

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Mid-season 2 is when they really started to go for it in terms of production values. Stuff like the submarine conning tower rising out of the ice in 'End Game' was not just an iconic image of the show, but a drat impressive - and expensive - combination of prop and set. Building something that size as a static piece would have been a big enough job, but then they had it move! (And then they spray-painted a whole Canadian rock quarry red to make it look like southwestern sandstone in 'Anasazi'...)

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Jack Gladney posted:

Oh Psi-Factor, the bargain-bin (even moreso) Canadian X-Files. Dan Akroyd will still claim that the OSIR is a real organization that submitted material for the show. I honestly can't tell if he really believes that or not.
I interviewed Aykroyd once, and yes, he absolutely believes in the paranormal. More the ghosts/supernatural side than UFOs, it seemed, but he's truly into it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Cancer Man should be brought back the same way the Master comes back on Doctor Who after being killed, this time for real, undeniably, no doubts in anyone's mind, honest: have him simply show up as if nothing's happened, and if anyone calls him on the fact that he was last seen dying screaming in flames, he just chuckles mockingly before swiftly moving on.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

steinrokkan posted:

How could they improve upon Gbson's impeccable cyberpunk imagination????
You certainly couldn't get a more Gibsonian name than Jade Blue Afterglow.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

WebDog posted:

I think the main appeal for me was spending too much time reading crap like this.

drat you, I had those books as a kid and now I feel compelled to go to eBay to see if I can find them again.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

esselfortium posted:

How the hell is CSM still alive?! He was shot by helicopter missiles and engulfed in fire! Maybe they decided to just hope everyone's forgotten all about the terrible series finale. It would probably be for the best, I guess.
Indian chief Cancer Man being blown the gently caress up by missiles is literally the only thing I can recall from the series finale. Did the Lone Gunmen appear to Mulder as ghosts or a vision or something too? Whatever; if it's that unclear, it probably wasn't worth remembering, so if they just pretend that "whatever you want to think happened, happened" and carry on without referring back to it, I'd be perfectly happy.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember when they filmed the second movie, they released false spoilers and set photos that made it look like the movie was going to be about a werewolf, and I really wish it had had that storyline instead.
All I remember about the second movie is that it started with Billy Connelly as a paedophile priest having visions and ended with gay Russians doing head-swap operations, and I have absolutely no idea how it got from one to the other.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Gillian Anderson's actually done a fair bit of British TV over the past few years; Bleak House, Great Expectations, The Fall (which I think has either just had or is about to have a third series) and some others, and she's in the new version of War & Peace that just started. All that and Hannibal and various movies too - she's keeping busy. She mostly seems to be concentrating on miniseries, though, so I imagine she doesn't want to be tied in to anything long-term that might keep her from other work.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Astroman posted:

Yeah, continuity was highly verboten on tv shows in the 50s-90s because they wanted to rerun them and expected people to be able to watch on any random weekday a syndicated episode and not feel left out. All plots resolved by the end of the episode, very few recurring characters, and arcs or continuity more by accident. Hell, in the early days of tv they never expected them to rerun at all, so they cared even less.

The exception of course was soap operas, which were very continuity heavy but never reran. X-Files broke the mold by combining the two, which makes Chris Carter a tv genius.
I've also wondered how much TXF paved the way for shows like CSI or Hannibal by raising the bar for the level of gore allowed on network TV. I know that by the 90s we were a long way past the days when corpses couldn't be shown with open eyes on US TV (Star Trek used to get regular reminders from the network censors not to do it), but by 'Bad Blood' we had the bloody entrails of a murder victim being thrown about on screen for laughs, and plenty of gruesome scenes involving bodies or parts thereof before that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I missed the final episode of the new series. I'm going to assume from comments here that no, actually I didn't miss anything of value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

mastershakeman posted:

having slogged through every episode of the x-files should i get myself amped up for the 2nd movie? I'm really unmotivated for it
IWTB is :wtc: in movie form. I remember coming out of it both disappointed and wondering what the hell I just watched, and now all I can recall of the story is that it somehow went from Billy Connelly as a repentent paedophile priest having visions of dead kids to gay Russians doing head-swap surgery. I have no idea at all what happened between those two things.

• Locked thread