Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I loved this episode so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

GamingHyena posted:

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

You'd be hard pressed to find a Top episodes list that doesn't have this in the Top 5 and there is a good reason for it. I'll admit, I stopped watching the show at some point during college (it premiered when I was a junior in high school) but that episode stuck with me (that and Jose Chung's From Outer Space) through the years. It was a beautiful hour of television.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Basebf555 posted:

That was really, really good. That episode should have been the finale of the original series.

I was thinking the same thing.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

Skinner threatening CSM in Paper Clip is possibly my favorite scene of the entire series.

I was actually on the Fox forums during the original run and they were just as terrible as you probably think. They spawned the concept of shipping, for gently caress's sake.

Agreed, and also, what is shipping?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah, on the Netflix bandwagon from S01E01. It's so good. So glad for this new mini-season. I'd forgotten how good this show was.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Whelp, another solid episode and best use of Petula Clark since :lost:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Acer Pilot posted:

i wish i bought that ugly door. should've known it'd be in the x-files.

Please tell us more about the auction. TIA. My prop collection is small (2 items from LOST) but I find the hobby to be fascinating.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah Anderson was amazing.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I haven't seen Jose Chung's From Outer Space in years. What was the name of the alien dude, Lord Steamboat or something like that?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Thanks haha. Knew it was something like that.

Also, I just rewatched the Were-man episode, and would have been totally cool if that was the series finale. I admit, it would be a little weird for the overall tone of the show to have ended on a comedy episode. Definitely one of my Top 5 episodes of the series though.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Acer Pilot posted:

This wasn't really an auction, it was a liquidation sale for three TV productions in the city. Happens a few times a year and I notice most of the people attending are from the movie industry or resellers. Most of the stuff is usually unlabelled but you can sometimes find some tags/labels on stuff that was featured on camera rather than just background. My favourite piece is some random bullet riddled/bloody uniform from Stargate.

I couldn't really tell which things were from X-Files as the show hasn't finished airing yet :( I did manage to get the last FBI and Coroner jackets from the X-Files though. There were one or two coroner hats too but oh well.

It was pretty depressing when I was looking through the Minority Report stuff as a lot of it still had their tags on them. Guess they'll never get to use them now! There was a bunch of "Fear The Walking Dead" stuff as well but I didn't know enough to buy any of it.

There were also so many ties, wish I had got some.

Very nice finds. It has to be kind of weird looking at random stuff and wondering if you won't kick yourself later for passing on it when you see it in an episode.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I must either of have really simple tastes and be easily impressed or maybe I'm just really good at guessing the kinds of things I like and avoiding the things I won't. :iiam:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This episode sure tried to do a lot of things and yes, I'd categorize it as an enjoyable mess. That last shot was beautiful, though.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I would probably watch a series based on Not-Mulder and Not-Scully. X-Files:TNG

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

I find it hard to understand why Arabic speaking actors still line up to play suicide bombers.

Maybe because they're adult enough to recognize Islamic terrorists are actually a real thing in the world?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

E: NVM

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I'm enjoying my Season 1 rewatch more than anything else on TV right now. Even if the new episodes had all been poo poo, it would have been worth it because it made me remember how much I loved this show and how good it was. I'm on the Jersey Devil right now.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Tighclops posted:

So does this mean they're planning another miniseries or what because haha what the gently caress

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Well Manicured Man posted:

The X-files was one of the first shows to have a (relatively) massive online fandom, considering the size and scope of the internet at the time.

The AOL X-Files Chatroom was the best.

It would have been cool if they ended the series on Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster but end the episode with the visuals of Mulder and Scully going for a walk together at the end of Babylon but without the monologue. And a better song. Credits roll.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I got a smallpox vaccine in 2003. Thanks Uncle Sam!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Atrocious Joe posted:

Babylon became extra disappointing for me when I remembered how shady the FBI can be about breaking up "terror plots". Even the less ridiculous conspiracies about the Boston Bombing could be the foundation of an episode.

Instead we got a boring and racist episode. Even a straight forward false-flag twist would have been a bit better and an excuse to reintroduce TAD O'MALLEY before the last episode.

Unimaginative? Sure. Racist? A bit over the top.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

68k posted:

That arc is as good as the series gets, outside of some brilliant lone motw episodes. Holy poo poo @ those Skinner/CSM confrontations.

I"m really looking forward to that (just finished "Space" on what is my first rewatch ever). I don't quite remember the details, but I remember cheering at my TV when Skinner confronted CSM.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Still loving my rewatch, even some of the episodes I didn't think sounded particularly good from the synopsis, and didn't remember are actually really good. Case in point, Lazarus.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Emetic Hustler posted:

Re-watched the mytharc episodes of the original series and it really fell apart towards the end. Was there a list of the good MOTW episodes per season on this thread or did I imagine it?

I was going to do that but 3/4 through season 1 I am not regretting just watching all of them. Like I just said, I thought Lazarus sounded dumb and didn't remember it at all, and ended up really liking it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Dod Kalm is probably the most badass name for a TV episode ever.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

My Q-Face posted:

Even the new stuff is a bit. The Anthrax Vaccine stuff? The Anthrax scare was manufactured (the Anthrax that "got loose" came from a Govt. lab) and the Office of the Secretary of Defense mandated that all service members (close to one million of them) get the vaccine and all the required booster shots, to the tune of billions of dollars. The thing is, a lot of the people involved in that decision who worked at the OSD at the time are now sitting on the board or are officers in the only company that makes that particular vaccine. :tinfoil:

I got deployed in the middle of the anthrax series so they had to start over because it had been too long. Then the second time they stopped because I was told the lab that made it failed a health inspection and got shut down. So, yeah, cool, I got part of the anthrax series twice.

E: I'm watching Duane Barry now. Red Speedo! I didn't remember it's origins.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Ascension is really, really good. Loving watching Skinner go from being a dickhead to a total badass. That part of it is making me angry at how underutilized he was in the event series. I'm having so much fun with this rewatch. The grocery store scene in Duane Barry was one of my favorites and I had totally forgotten about it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

68k posted:

YOU CALLIN DUANE BERRY A LIAR?

Whoever did casting for the series was really good at their job. There's so many great MOTW performances and the dude who played Duane Berry nailed it. Coming right after Tony Todd who was excellent in Sleepless, too.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Holy poo poo, One Breath is amazing. The mytharc had so much loving potential. Also, I love Skinner.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Just finished End Game and, yeah, I wish Skinner was my dad.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

WMain00 posted:

Just caught up with the final episode and what the gently caress. Just what the gently caress?

I almost had a bottle of whisky out for every time the phrase "Alien DNA" was used. I reckon I would have been on the floor by the end of it. They just seemed to piss over everything. All over the original series, all over the new one, all over any sort of intelligence or pre-planning or thought process they had for it. Just literally "Hey, is this your favourite show? Well watch closely as we piss all over it."

I think my brain left at some point. I think my brain went "gently caress this poo poo," packed a bag and exited. Whoever wrote this pile of crap needs to be taken out to a wall and shot. It just didn't make sense. Everyone is going to die except anyone who has magical-alien-dna (tm) because CSM wants to depopulate the planet just cause. Then toward the end of the episode it basically throw in as many buzz words as possible. Alien DNA, stem cells, crispr-cas (apparently a relatively new thing according to my girlfriend that is commonly used in day to day science today, but the way it was used in the x-files is entirely wrong).

And then...well...what exactly is the end result? The X Files was never really designed for a sort of end-of-the world scenario series and I can't stand agent youth face and bitch-Einstein (I call her that because her character is extremely annoying and whoever thought that Einstein would be a good name also needs shot).

The entire series has been a disaster. It's been an actual real life scenario of why some favourite tv series should be just best left dead. The only one in the series who seemed to be at least trying to put some sort of heart into it was Gillian Anderson. Duchovny seemed to be sleepwalking through the entire thing, putting forward wild ideas completely irrelevant to the plot (I can only presume the magic mushroom thing was his idea). The ending was basically a gigantic poo poo. It didn't try to present itself as anything else, it just literally was poo poo, with Chris Carter presenting it proudly, as if he had made a work of art.

I do hope the Fox executives looked at this and went "Haha, nope" and that'll be the end of it. I don't think I want more X-Files anymore. :(

Having started watching the original series again AFTER the recent limited series, a few observations. Having only seen the first few seasons years ago, the 2016 series hit all the right nostalgia notes. Having watched older episodes to compare them too my reaction the new episodes is now considerably less favorable. Now that I really remember just how good this series STARTED, the new mytharc episodes are pretty dreadful. Garbage man and were-monster made it all worth it, though.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Ansazi and Paperclip were every bit as great as I remembered.

"No! You listen to me you son of a bitch!" :allears:

Also, D.P.O., holy poo poo it's Giovanni Ribisi and Jack Black!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

The funniest thing about DPO is that it's Giovanni Ribisi who's bullying Jack Black.

Ribisi is awesome in DPO. I know he's been in a bunch of stuff but I only really know him from Saving Private Ryan.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I just finished:

The List - most boring episode so far. 5/10
2Shy - Creepy and good. 8/10
The Walk - why is it so hard for TV shows to get military uniforms right. Hell, I would help them with it for free. 7/10
Oubliette - Solid MOTW, very satisfying to see Mulder shoot the dude. 7/10

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I thought Revelations was supposed to be terrible. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I just finished season four. Still wish Skinner was my dad.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

Isn't Fox still trying to do another season of X-Files? I can only hope that Chris Carter's influence is somehow reduced. Even if it's just not letting him write any episode on his own.

My understanding is that every person involved wants to do it but it is just a matter of scheduling. Given that the X-Files is not the main focus for most of them it could be a while.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I'll be forever grateful for this last season because it inspired me to watch from the beginning. I had really forgotten just how goddam great this show was. Plus I realized that due to college and hearing it good bad I figure I must have stopped watching in season 4. In four episodes into season 5 so now I'm enjoying xfiles episodes that are both great and new to me.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I just saw Post-Modern Promoetheus for the first time.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's a really good episode but kind of unsettling that we're supposed to have sympathy for a man who impregnated most of the women in a town with animal-human hybrids without their consent in order to create a mate for his son.

Well, yeah. There is that. Still, it was an incredibly weird gamble that mostly hit big.

• Locked thread