Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

The garbage man episode was a rock solid MOTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So just to be clear is any depiction of Muslims engaging in terrorism an example of Islamophobia?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Was Saving Private Ryan racist against Germans because every single one was portrayed as a Nazi soldier?

Of course not. It wasn't a story about "good" Germans, why waste time showing any? It would serve no narrative purpose.

Babylon was about a terror cell. There was no need demonstrate the full range of Muslim life in America. To its credit, Babylon at least made an effort to depict Islamophobic behavior on screen.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Antares posted:

german isn't a race

Either is Islam but I keep hearing Babylon is racist. Or wait, is it Islamophobic? Sorry, I have trouble keeping track of how things are offensive sometimes!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Mendrian posted:

There is nothing intrinsically racist about depicting an Islamic terror cell in the same way that there is nothing intrinsically racist about portraying a black man as a drug dealer. The problem, you see, is that racism is about institutional cultural suppression of racial groups. In this case, Middle Eastern groups in particular.

Saving Private Ryan can't be racist against Germans because Germans are not a race and because racism is about minority groups, so no majority (white people) group can be the subject of racism in the context of a white-dominant culture. Of course, depicting all Germans as nazis can be, you know, unhealthy for a lot of other reasons that have nothing to do with racism and frankly, I kind of think it is. But for other reasons.

If you cannot see the tonal and cultural difference between (for example) a movie where glorious American bastards kill lots of nazis and one where glorious American bastards murder their way through a similar number of Middle Eastern terrorists, I think we should probably hang up the discussion. Babylon is racist not because of its subject matter, but because it appeals to pre-existing ideas in the American consciousness, such as, "check out this guy, he's brown and got a bomb, I know what he's all about."

Thanks for the effort post. I guess I see where the disconnect comes. I apparently have a different, and admittedly more narrow definition of "racist". I.e., reflecting the belief that one race is superior to another.

I think the downside to my definition is that it probably blinds me to things that I should be more sensitive to.

A broader definition has its own drawbacks too, though. Racism to me is a very serious allegation but when everything is "racist", I would argue that word loses impact.

I've said my piece and have a better understanding of other points of view though, so that's cool in my book.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Got through a few more episodes. At this point some episodes are definitely new to me, but some aren't. I guess I just wasn't watching consistently. I remembered Bad Blood and it was amazing still.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It's crazy how long TV seasons used to be. I just finished season 5, so I have 84 episodes to go. Plus two movies. :psyduck:

One one hand I know it's going to get bad, but on the flip side they are all new to me and I know there are some gems scattered in there. Plus, you never know, I may even like the "bad" seasons. LOST never got bad to me, I even loved the ending.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I just watched Inside The X-Files, it's a bonus episode to hype the movie. Chris Carters hair in all its 90s glory was impressive.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Fight the Future was actually pretty good....until the end.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Wow, I had completely forgotten about that song!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I just finished Triangle. :swoon: Holy poo poo, what a gorgeous, fun episode! I'm willing to cut the future bad episodes a lot of slack if there's anything else like this ahead for me.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Maelstache posted:

The Dreamland two-parter is a lot of fun. Oddly, it felt more to me like "X-Files: The Movie" than the actual movie did. I wonder if it was actually pitched as a film idea at any point?

It goes kind-of downhill after that though. I'll never understand how they made an episode where Bruce Campbell plays the Devil be so dull.

Dreamland is amazing so far! And it's got Chuck McGill!!!!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Season 6 is just so good. This has to be X-Files at it's peak in many ways. So impressive to go from really creepy episodes like Terms of Endearment to an episode like The Rain King. The Rain King was super :3:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

X-Files scheduled to be pulled from Netflix in April. :(

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

So looks like I'm nearly out of time and I made it up to s6e9. I'd be grateful for suggestions on essential X-Files eps I should catch before it gets pulled on 4/1.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The Unnatural is so good. And it's got the Marshall from :lost:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

It'll still be on Hulu if you don't want to have to rush it.

Good call, thanks. Looks like a great excuse to try a 30 day trial.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Going to continue watching in sequence and will try Hulu next month. The Fathers/Son myth arc episodes were decent. I thought Agua Mala was fantastic and hit the sweet spot of tense and funny. Plus those puncture wounds were super creepy.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Longbaugh01 posted:

Gonna assume you're being facetious since the alternative is too terrible to contemplate and not the best way forward for any creative work.

Compare the prequels to the Star Wars movies that have come out since Disney. Are you sure you feel that way?

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

bull3964 posted:

As long as we get at least one episode on the level of "Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" , the next season will be worth it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I made it halfway through Season 7 before Netflix dropped it. After Season 11 ends and I have peak X-Files interest I’ll do a Hulu trial and watch the rest. I’ve never seen 7-9.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I’m in the minority but I thought the ending of LOST was perfect.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

A solid open.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I’m so glad they are pretending that poo poo last season was a dream lol.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Fox has a sick Mustang

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

:stare:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

At this point, I'm not really sure what's grosser. CSM drugging and raping Sculley or Carter actively playing with the audience on whether that happened. I feel like I need to take a shower.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

The crazy thing to me is that when I first watched show when it aired in the 90s, I lived for the mytharc episodes in seasons 1-3. They are still some of my favorites of the series but holy poo poo, boy did Carter run it into the ground.

Can Disney buy the X-Files from Carter? He's clearly gone full George Lucas.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Gobbeldygook posted:

Am I the only person who sees a permanently unread post in this thread in their bookmarks and no other thread? :tinfoil:

An unexplainable ghost post is super fitting for this thread. You can read it, but you have to take mushrooms first.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It’s good that the rape monster was loved by all.

If you take that episode apart and look at the pieces separately there is no way in hell it should work, but somehow it does, and does magnificently.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

It was solid. Someday years from now, if someone offered us the chance to watch a new X-Files episode that wasn’t terrible, we’d all jump on it. These are good times we’re living in, friends.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This feels right and good. This is real X-Files so far.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This was really good.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I just finished this weeks episode. :perfect:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

I missed the last 2 weeks. Not having a DVR is the worst part of cutting the chord.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This is weird and slow.....but I kind of dig it.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

:catstare:

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

joepinetree posted:

Am I missing the joke? There were no new episodes the past 2 weeks, tonight is the first new ep since 2/8

I guess three weeks then? I missed the Skinner episode for sure, if that was the last new episode then I don’t feel as bad.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 1, 2018

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Yeah I thought it was a really fun episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Do I need to watch last week’s episode before tonight’s?

• Locked thread