Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

joepinetree posted:

At the time, it was pretty funny how people reacted to mytharc vs motw. Early on in the series people would look forward to mytharc episodes and be pretty disappointed when it was a MOTW. That reverses some time after the 1st movie, when people knew a mytharc episode would be another punt.

It was about the third or fourth season where I got sick of mytharc. Something would happen, mulder would go nuts, scully would get up on her science horse, and at the end mulder would have a choice between saving someone's life or getting the evidence (or between his life and the evidence), and *bam*, all that's left is mulder looking sad and scully going 'there's no evidence, you're crazy'. The movie really cemented that for me with scully not seeing the spaceship because of timing.

What really got me is that I sided with the conspiracy. You have the aliens doing *stuff*, and a bunch of people hiding stuff so that the aliens wouldn't kill everyone. They're putting everything off for as long as they can so that they can produce a superweapon to fight back against the aliens, and mulder keeps running around trying to expose their activities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

WebDog posted:

I'd forgotten how genuinely hosed up Home was. The drat thing opens up on a POV of a baby being buried and barely lets up. Scully's hypothesis of "this could only happen if someone's ovum was weakened" just adds more layers to the mess.

Clyde Bruckman's final repose remains as still one of the best examples of comedy and pathos on screen.

Home is one of the few xfiles episodes I remember, and it makes my skin crawl every time I think of it.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

sticklefifer posted:

When it first came out I gave it a shot for about 3-4 episodes and didn't feel like they were doing anything new. After season 2 ended I saw a late season 2 episode, thought it was awesome, and went back to catch up. Later on in the show's run you really realize how much the show rewards the early watchers by making just about every single plot point early on relevant in the late game, something X-Files didn't really pull off. It's X-Files if its arching narrative was cohesive and got a satisfying payoff. There are weaker points obviously, and some dropped plot threads, but I give them a lot of credit for trying new things constantly and never backing down or returning to status quo.

This is me pretty much. Fringe is X-Files where they're not afraid to go batshit insane, yet actually know how to write an arc and move the plot forward. I watched the first episode and stopped watching and thought it was a cheesy episode of the x-files. It was a cheesy episode of the Xfiles, but I kept hearing good things about it, watched the first season when I had nothing else to watch and then got hooked.

They're different shows - X-Files has a mythos and gravity, and Fringe has a truckload of drugs and an actual plan beyond first season.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

Paradoxish posted:

Fringe always gets compared to the X-files because the subjects are kind of superficially similar, but I actually think Supernatural (at least for the first 4-5 seasons) is way, way closer to a modern successor.

I never ended up watching Supernatural. I heard good things about it but never found the time, and now I just don't have the time.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe

ICHIBAHN posted:

Ok I've only just noticed there's a second X Files film. Now, given than I'm only interested (or was interested) in the over-all mytharc, should I bother with the film? Thanks.

No

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
I get the feeling I should have taken some mushrooms before I watched that episode. As with everyone else, it felt like three or four really good ideas smushed together with an attempt at a combined scully/mulder voiceover at the end.

I don't remember the original run being this uneven, but it's been a long time. Maybe if it'd been a longer series (eight or ten eps) things might have been more even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
It's like chris carter got to the last episode and realised he hates the xfiles, so he wrote the best garbage he could in order to get it cancelled. First ep was okay, second ep was better, third hit it out of the park, fourth was okay for a motw, fifth had a bunch of great ideas which went nowhere and that sixth was indefensible crap.

I'll watch another season, but only to see how bad it can get.

• Locked thread