Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Octy posted:

45 minutes, actually. It's a shame you don't enjoy it as much, though. I still find it just as gripping as I did on my first viewing and I think for the most part it holds up well for its age.
This. This thread is a funny bit of coincidental timing for me because I just started - on and off due to grown-up life obligations - a rewatch a few months back and I'm finding that I enjoy these episodes more now than I did as a child. Some of it has aged badly, yes, but really to me what most ages the show are the fashions, technology, cultural references, and any other such literally dating things. By and large the show has aged remarkably well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I don't know if I necessarily want one or not, but I do find it kind of baffling for a show all about American conspiracy theories and cryptozoology, they never tackled Big Foot. I mean, I guess the closest they got was the Jersey Devil, but that's hardly the same.

Then again, it's really weird to think of where they will go in general with the show if it is set contemporaneously. The whole conspiracy theory and general zeitgeist of the show was very much something of the 90s in many ways, and while there are contemporary conspiracy theories, they are all things like Benghazi or Sandy Hook or 9/11 and stuff no sane writer would touch and which, further, aren't really compelling TV even if they did. Plus the ubiquitous nature of camera phones and reliable cell-phone reception would have to radically change how they handle MOTW episodes, too. Like, honestly, during a recent re-watch of the series, I was struck by how many episodes could have had their plots resolved in minutes if the characters had modern cell phones.
Hell, there's an idea for an episode; why did all the aliens stop visiting for the most part once Humans got easy and widespread access to camera phones?

I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm really glad and excited the show is coming back, I'm just really curious to see what way they'll go with it since, well, see above.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
I always find it kind of baffling how the X-Files never did a proper bigfoot episode. Like that is arguably THE quintessential bit of American forteana outside of UFO poo poo.
Then again, they never really did a chupacabra episode either.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Big Mean Jerk posted:

El Mundo Gira is a loosely-based-on Chupacabra episode

Other than using the word 'chupacabra' and the Spanish-speaking setting there's really nothing at all in common between the plot of the episode and any of the chupacabras myths with which I am familiar.

Although, fun fact, unless I'm mistaken, the X-Files predates the first claims of the chupacabras. Like that's one cryptid that rose to prominence during the show's run.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Stultus Maximus posted:

Indeed.

That said, for a finale, "All Good Things" was a decent episode.

For my money, the two best series finales of all time are quite probably All Good Things, and Futurama's Devil's Hands are Idle Playthings. Both episodes are not only fantastic episodes of their respective shows in and of themselves, but both also sort of serve to encapsulate and echo the themes of their series as a whole, and provide both an excellent sense of closure, as well as the feeling that the adventures will continue all the same, even though we as the audience wont necessarily be privy to them.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

McSpanky posted:

There was some overwrought lines in this episode about the aliens no longer wanting a planet with a warming climate and dwindling resources.

I barely remember the shitshow of last season, but didn't they try spinning it last season that there weren't even loving any real aliens or something and it was all just another layer of obfuscation by the ~real~ conspiracy?

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
This show was so great when it was good, what happened? I understand that Carter is a hack, that much is evident, but then how/why was it ever as good as it was? There's plenty of excellent videos and articles discussing, say, the hows and whys of what happened to the Simpsons, and for something like Game of Thrones or Battlestar Galactica there's also readily apparent explanations for why the shows took the nosedives they did when they did. But what the heck happened to the X-Files? Part of it certainly seems to be the fact the Syndicate plotline was thoroughly wrapped up in season 6 but then trotted out once more as a zombie, but the issues seem more fundamental and far-reaching than that. Like the problems with the latter seasons, and especially last season, go deeper and farther than simply 'the mytharc has nowhere to go'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Wax Lion posted:

I feel so bad for Gillian Anderson having to perform this

I'm avoiding this season but keeping up with this thread. What in particular is happening to bring this up?

• Locked thread