Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
That was a bad episode of the X-Files, but I don't care, because it was an episode of the X-Files.

The fact that the entire conspiracy rant made total sense to me is... somewhat worrying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Did they throw out the aliens completely in later seasons? I quit after Mulder and Scully stopped being regulars. That makes zero sense.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
This was a mediocre episode of the X-Files, but it was an episode of the X-Files. So I am content.

At one point I did briefly fantasize about what a six-episode season showrun by Vince Gilligan would look like though.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
I think this episode would have been a lot better if they had used the phrase "alien DNA" a lot less and made it two hours: it would given them time for Mulder to have an actual plot and the pandemic to actually start spreading.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

What, was "ITS SPREADING":eyepop: not enough exposition for you?

I feel like the episode spent so much time trying to set up what was going on it never really got a chance to explore what was going on. With more runtime, they could have replaced the exposition with demonstration! And maybe given Skinner something to do?

Like, Chris Carter did write Fight the Future, right? I rewatched it in anticipation of the new season and really enjoyed it. What the hell happened to him?

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
Yeah, I don't think this isn't really that much about getting off your phone, anyway -- they DO get off their phones toward the end, and doesn't solve the problem -- they actually survive because Mulder picks up the phone. It's a reasonable read of the ending, mind, but an equally plausible one is that we need to maintain our relationships and be compassionate, because we're building a world where we will regularly be interacting with entities that will not only learn from us, but behave in ways that are difficult or impossible to fully understand.

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
But AI is much stranger and weirder than that: this isn't just about learning from Mulder and Scully. All of the services they use are systems that have clearly already been in place for a while, and they've been learning from a whole collection of racists and trolls and shitheads before this week's episode. This is one of the unsettling things about deep learning: if you point an AI in the direction of a goal (walking, chess, getting a tip), they'll find strategies that a human will find incomprehensible or even horrifying. Mulder and Scully are just the poor saps who have to suffer from the results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
You're all being ridiculous; this is clearly just another vision that Scully and William are having, and if the show ever got resurrected they would just zoom out of Scully's eye again and start over for My Struggle V.

• Locked thread