Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
The first third or so of S5 is completely amazing. The ending to the frankenstein/elephant man episode was so great.

I'm about to start s6, first time watch, and I think I'll watch that and seven before taking off. No Mulder, no deal, and from what I've read pretending s8 and nine don't happen is probably for the best (especially if the best characters are The Lone Gunmen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Being where I am in the story so far, I really like their relationship as a platonic yet sexually tense deal. I don't really view it as a will-they-or-won't-they thing at this point, because it feels like they've moved past that questiion, even though they recognize that it definitely would have worked as a thing at some point. It's a refreshing male/female lead dynamic to keep them as close friends without venturing into that territory, and it clearly takes a lot of restraint to not put them together, which is why it's too bad that they fall into that later apparently (and retcon it so that they were up to things even before then, I think I've gathered?).

The one where Mulder gets switched out by that body-doubler and tries to get with Scully is especially effective because of this dynamic. It was incredibly awkward to watch that scene.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
Ok, sure. As deftly as that was worked into the plot though, I think it's a much better choice that they aren't together, despite how close they clearly are. It works with the larger idea that what they do is not understood by anyone else but themselves, in how they both are also rarely shown pursuing other romantic interests. When do they "reveal" that?

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

haveblue posted:

Do people really think this was a terrible episode? I rewatched it recently and it seemed middle-of-the-road at worst.

I recall it being really good, especially for how dumb the concept sounds.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Drifter posted:

So I'm thinking for me (for ME) the best way to do with X-Files these days is to just remember the fun I had watching it as a kid. I tried to watch most of the first season recently and it wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't gripping or compellingly acted compared to the few shows I currently watch.

Having never seen this show until recently, I was pretty much of this opinion when I watched season 1. There's a point somewhere, I think in mid/late season 2 where it really starts to handle itself better and the writing and acting lend themselves into something much more than the "scifi homage cop show" it was after season 1, which itself is different from the "spooky cop show" it was for the first few episodes.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I just watched that one and yeah it's great, so that's twice now the X-files got have-to-look-away-awkward.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I might pick up and watch a few s7 episodes this week, anyone got a few good ones? I think I've seen the first couple or so. X-COPS I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks
I just watched "The Amazing Maleeni" and its is a total by the numbers X-Files episode that is simply really entertaining. It could be an episode of anything, CSI, whatever though.

• Locked thread