Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I watched the show off and on in the first season, but The Host from the start of season 2 is what got me hooked. The ending shot was just perfectly creepy.

I never cared much for the arc shows - that poo poo was confusing and never made much sense. I think they made a major mistake by making the 1st movie part of the arc, instead of a standalone monster of the week. If they had done a MotW movie, it would have been much more successful, and the X-Files would have spawned a string of movies after the TV run was done, much like Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
I have a fondness for "Firewalker." The mushroom throatgasm is memorable and a creepy. It's maybe a little slow, but it stuck with me as sort of a fever-dream of an episode.

I thought "The Gift" was memorable as well, even though it came in season 8.

"Synchrony," too. That one was sad and haunting.

Wizchine fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Jan 25, 2014

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

escape artist posted:

What are some of the best MotW from Season 5, 6, and 7? Honestly, I don't remember where I stopped watching. At one point I was only watching mytharc episodes, and holy poo poo that was a bad idea. But I've seen almost everything from Seasons 1-4. What's the one where they're on a spaceship (or a submarine??) and for some reason there's rapid-aging? That was the most boring episode by far, I think.

From season 5, I think "The Pine Bluff Variant" and "Folie a Deux" get good reveiews. As mentioned, I have a soft spot for "Schizogeny" as well.

From season 6, "Field Trip" and the humorous "Arcadia" get good reviews. I remember the former only vaguely.

From season 7, "Je Souhaite" is very amusing.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Jack Gladney posted:

The killer from Saw is a guy who loves cigarettes.

Shawnee Smith - who plays Jigsaw's erstwhile protege in Saw II and III - is featured in Firewalker.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

sticklefifer posted:

^^^Season 10 is what they call the comic.

It's worth noting how much influence The X-Files took from Twin Peaks. I never really noticed it at the time, mainly because I was more into X-Files and didn't go through a full rewatch of Twin Peaks until years later, but the tone and a lot of the settings and motifs are very similar. I can't help wishing they took place in the same universe, or that Fox used the series to wrap it up the way they did with Millennium. The plot of Twin Peaks seems exactly like something that would happen in a case. Was David Lynch ever remotely involved in the creative end of the show?

Don't forget David Duchovny's appearance as DEA agent "Denise" Bryson as well.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

colonel_korn posted:

WASH DAY TOMORROW. NOTHING CLEAN, RIGHT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-TmQ1ktaLU

Beaten - his prominent tag-team with Bill Paxton. What the hell did the third guy ever do...

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I'm also doing a rewatch, I just finished One Breath. Why is the Flukeman episode so well-remembered? Sure, the monster design is great, but the show blows it's load halfway through the episode. It goes from just showing us glimpses to full out showing the entire monster just staring at the characters going "bloop glub im the flukeman stuck in your poop chute here". It's so mediocre.

The end shot - Flukeman staring up from the bottom of the pit toilet and waiting for its next meal - is worth the price of admission alone. For me, it established the show as something I wanted to watch every week because they were willing to go full-blown horror. There was nothing remotely close at the time on tv. I've only seen it once when it aired, like most of the episodes, so I don't know how well it stands up on a rewatch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

scary ghost dog posted:

And Castle and CSI and every other crime procedural in existence.

Well yeah, but X-Files predated those shows. Law and Order pre-dated X-Files, however.

• Locked thread