Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I will say, this show had some loving BALLS - like seriously, a loving WEREWOLF? Clones that eventually take over their older clones? A fricking ghost who beats up people that wronged a secretary (and trying to expose a company)?? I know it can only get more crazy from here.

It's funny because the show feels way more like a cop show in season 1, so whenever Mulder goes "I think it's a ghost" it always feels NUTS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

joepinetree posted:

Seriously, this show rivals friends in terms of the whole will they/won't they bit, which as far as I can tell was a first for a non-sitcom show. Hell, I even read an interview with Spotnitz about the second movie where he talks about changing the script a bit to make it ambiguous if they were together for the 1st 1/3 of the movie, only to have the whole scratchy beard scene. Even the much criticized all things is better understood as a long troll on shippers (the episode starts with the aforementioned naked mulder sleeping and scully getting dressed, then goes back in time a week or so and does not end with whatever led to them sleeping together).

This is something I actually love about the show, their getting together sort of happens off-screen. Those characters feel like they would be extremely discreet about that.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
Awesome stand-up comedian and Silicon Valley actor Kumail Nanjiani just started a new podcast: The X-Files Files,
in which he intends to go in-depth and talk about his favorite episodes X-Files or at least the really good episodes.
This week opens with Pilot/Deep Throat:

http://www.feralaudio.com/show/x-files-files/

It's pretty good!

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think the AV Club review for "Nothing Important Happened Today" said something like that as well, namely that The X-Files couldn't continue as it had in the immediate aftermath of 9/11 because, in that short window between the towers coming down and the start of the fighting in Iraq, mass audiences in America weren't keen on the idea that the government was scheming against them and hiding the truth from them. Now, this was before the PATRIOT Act and wire-tapping and what have you, and I imagine there still would've been a place - perhaps even a very important place - for The X-Files in that cultural context, but by then, I think mainstream TV had moved on to 24.

Yes! Post-9/11, there was something comforting and needed about 24 and Jack Bauer pulling all the horrible stops to prevent terrorist attacks. I think the most modern version of the conspiracy/political zeitgeist has been Person Of Interest (one of the great "Children of the X-Files" shows) for a couple of years now.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I don't know if I'd really call Millennium a post-9/11 show, but I think it was definitely ahead of its time. I think it would have been a lot more accepted by both audiences and the network ten years later.

No doubt. I've caught a couple episodes of Criminal Minds here and there and that poo poo is as grim (if not grimmer) as Millenium or episodes like Aubrey and Irresistible. And it keeps coming back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

MacDougall posted:

As X Files fans how do you feel about Fringe?

It's super great! It's another children of the X-Files but they go harder and crazier in some of their big premises in a way XF could not
really do back then.

• Locked thread