Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, Doggett was very much 'I don't know if there's a rational explanation. I hope there is, but either way, we got a job to do.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

joepinetree posted:

Millenium''s quality is like the x-files sped up. Great first season, mediocre 2nd season, and weird 3rd season that doesn't really fit with the 2nd.

Look how wrong this guy is. Mediocre first season, amazing (but also deeply flawed) 2nd season, garbage dogshit 3rd season.

The first season was almost entirely about SEXMURDER. The direction of it was solid, the storylines were decent if predictable, but it was all very same-y and constantly about sex-murder serial killers. Second season became all about the Millennium, doomsday prophecy, and the fundamental nature of good and evil. It has one of the single best episodes of television I've ever seen as a Halloween special and another brilliant piece later on. Quality is all over the place - a few episodes are downright poo poo, but most are solid and some are the peak of the show. Third season? Don't watch third season.

The reason for this is real simple, by the way. Chris Carter was involved strongly in season 1 and then handed it over to Glen Morgan and James Wong. GM and JW looked at this sort of promising show that was constantly hamstringing itself and decided there was one thing to do: Heap on the crazy in huge goddamn amounts each and every episode. And they did, and it produced a sometimes amazing, sometimes awful, television series. CC of course hated this, and took over again for Season 3. He removed all the crazy and made the show essentially X-Files Lite, and it suffered a ton for it. After some of the crescendos of Season 2, Season 3 simply cannot compete.

You may recognize the names James Wong and Glen Morgan from their X-files work on half the best episodes of the first season and some of the most notable and awesome episodes later on: Die Hand die verletz, Home, and Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man. Wong's recently written some of the better episodes of the last two seasons of American Horror Story.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I would love to see what they could do with the basic premise of s1 and 2 Millennium now with the much looser censorship, myself.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Since there was some Millennium talk, season 2 is one of the single best shows I've ever seen. It had its lows and its dated as hell now, but even the cheesiness of some episodes (murderous dogs, anyone?) was still carried beautifully by Henriksen and the rest of the cast, the cinematography is top notch for conveying an air of menace most of the time, the sound work is great, and it has two of the best episodes of television ever produced: The one with the devils in the diner, and the Halloween special. That monologue was loving intense.

Season 3 is hot garbage, though, and season 1 was a bit repetitive by the end but would be perfectly at home alongside say, True Detective, if they did a HD remaster - though it isn't of comparable quality. Honestly, I doubt they ever will, but I would happily drop a hundred a piece on HD remasters ala the new X-Files blurays for the first two seasons of Millennium.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My only hope is that they’ve dropped the godawful Alex Jones analogue.

It’s Carter though, I know they won’t. :negative:

Drop him and replace him with Tom Noonan playing an Art Bell analogue.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Mental scarring from the Eric Andre interview must've been real bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
My Struggle... to write a compelling storyline in old age.

• Locked thread