Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Mange Mite posted:

I'm thinking for instance the early episode with the devil worshippers.

Or the later episode with Bruce Campbell. The demon woman's plan pretty much goes off without a hitch and Mulder and Scully barely even know what the gently caress happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slate Action posted:

Rumor has it that one of the upcoming episodes is titled Home Again.

Holy poo poo

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gravitee posted:

Scully busting through first is awesome.

One thing I noticed when I recently re-watched the series is that Scully's a dead-eye marksman. When she shoots at something she almost always hits it.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 8, 2015

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

I've watched Hannibal recently, and it actually ruined my hype for XFiles because Anderson's performance in that series is abysmal, and that's putting it mildly. Hopefully she'll do better once reintroduced to the Files.

You're in the minority on that one. Most people seem to really enjoy her character on Hannibal. It's a stylized performance, but so are all of them on that show.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Irish Joe posted:

Her suits are three sizes too small.

Yea I think its the fact that she's wearing current clothes instead of 90's style pant suits.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
My understanding is that the alien chip implanted in Scully somehow allows the colonists to manipulate her bodily functions in ways that are way beyond what our scientists would be able to explain. When they decided to use her as the mother of the first hybrid they were somehow able to "turn on" her baby making equipment again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yannick_B posted:

No doubt. I've caught a couple episodes of Criminal Minds here and there and that poo poo is as grim (if not grimmer) as Millenium or episodes like Aubrey and Irresistible. And it keeps coming back!

Yea Criminal Minds is just as dark as pretty much anything on television with the one caveat that they can't really show graphic violence like HBO can.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MacDougall posted:

As X Files fans how do you feel about Fringe?

Love it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Its definitely hard to really articulate why Fringe was great without major spoilers, but what I can say is it was a show that never held back. It wasn't afraid to dive headfirst into stuff that other shows just hint at or nibble around the edges of.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

They started it, then J. J. Abrams picked it up for Alias and Lost, then everyone else copied it, but they didn't succeed (possibly because they lacked Terry O'Quinn).

Two or three years before O'Quinn got the job on Lost he was living outside a Baltimore suburb while his kids went to high school. They moved to Hawaii once Lost started production.

Anyway, Terry was the coach of our Little League team for two seasons. None of us had ever seen him in anything at that point because we were like 10 years old and hadn't seen The Stepfather or Millennium. Word got around pretty quick though and soon every kid on the team was a Millennium fan. The X-files movie was in theatres during the time he was our coach, so it was really neat to go see that in a theatre and hey look its Terry!

O'Quinn(or just Quinn to those who know him in the real world) was a kickass baseball coach. He didn't have a regular full-time job so he was really gung-ho about coaching the team, and he was unbelievably friendly and supportive. I was a short, skinny kid, probably the smallest on the team, and he really injected some confidence in me and helped me to see past my physical limitations to the point where I felt like a valued member of the team.

He also threw kick-rear end end of season bbqs at his house, which at the time seemed like a mansion to us but this was before Lost so I guess he's got even more money now then he had then.

Anyway I told you all that to make you jealous, did it work?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think if this kind of thing were a possibility back when the show first went off the air, Duchovny and Anderson would have been very willing to listen to ideas and keep the show going on a part time basis. Duchovny especially didn't seem to hate the show or the character or anything, but it was preventing him from doing other things he wanted to do. He was bored.

Now though its totally feasible to just mark out a few months every 2-3 years for shooting these limited run seasons and they can both do whatever they want the rest of the time.

Just look at the solutions Fox had for the Duchovny problem back then. They maintained the same amount of episodes and fit the plot around the fact that he wouldn't be there most of the time. I assume things would have gone a lot better if they would have just conceded that a standard 22 episode season wasn't feasible and done something similar to what they're doing now.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 4, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

joepinetree posted:

The truth is that back then they both thought they'd be huge movie/theater stars, and for a long time turned down all TV. Then they got older and less marketable and started saying yes to a lot more things.

I'm not sure that's true, at least for that reason. Its true that they both wanted the full-time job of being on the Xfiles t.v. show to end, but I believe if a limited run 8-10 episode season was presented as an option back then there's a chance a deal could have been made. Duchovny ended up on HBO not long after, and I remember reading a lot about how Anderson was just in semi-retirement hanging out in Europe with her husband and kids for a while. The problems were more with the schedule and general boredom with the characters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Movies are a lot quicker to shoot than 22 episodes of a television show, all of those comments read to me like they just wanted to shoot an X-Files movie once in a while instead of having the show take up their entire schedule. I don't take that "downfall of society" comment seriously.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That episode was much better and gives me hope for the rest of the season. Pretty cool to see the Hannibal reunion too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have a potentially stupid question, or maybe its just that the first episode really was that bad.

Isn't this a rehash of a storyline they did around the midpoint of the series, maybe season 4 or 5? Mulder got a lead from some contact that led him to evidence that showed the whole UFO/alien abduction phenomenon was just a smokescreen for government experiments. I swear all that happened before, I think around the time when he almost came to believe Samantha had been abducted by a serial killer.

Am I missing some detail that makes this storyline different from that storyline? Does the direct involvement of the Roswell crash change things somehow? Did I miss a line if dialogue somewhere?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah they had a somewhat similar plot in season 5. The difference is in season 5 Mulder was led to believe that aliens didn't exist and all the abductions were human led.

The plot they're running now says that yes humans are the ones behind all that poo poo but they're doing it with stolen alien tech.

Season 5 = it was just the government all along, no such thing as aliens

Now = it was the government all along, but aliens do exist. the government conducts abductions using stolen alien tech from crashes/shot down craft.

I just wish at some point in the first episode this would have been acknowledged, even just one line of dialogue would have done it. Like, "Wow Mulder, remember that time you thought UFO abductions were a government sponsored distraction? Maybe you weren't so off-base after all!"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

And they should have mentioned that nest of gundarks they fell into. Boy was that a sticky situation!

Well if there was going to be a whole gundark nest storyline, yea I'd think mentioning the previous one would be appropriate!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
No there's definitely no distinction between the alien centric episodes and the wackier supernatural stuff, it all happened.

The way I've always thought of it is that all of these ghosts, monsters, creatures, mutations, etc. are there to be discovered by anyone who cares enough to look for them. For the most part though only Mulder(and maybe a few exceptions like the Lone Gunmen) keeps meticulously organized files on every unexplained phenomena. So when the average person hears about Joe Schmoe down the street being murdered by exsanguination, they either shrug it off or they talk to someone about it and maybe end up in a mental institution. When Mulder hears about an exsanguination he goes into his exsanguination files and cross references them by ten different variables and bam he's got a theory and pretty soon he's going to get to the bottom of it because he can just book a flight wherever he wants on the FBI's dime.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
One of the things that's easy to forget if you haven't rewatched the show in a long time is how cold blooded Scully is. She definitely shoots more dudes than Mulder does over the course of the show, I'd bet on it. Especially since Mulder's out of the picture after a certain point. When she aims at something, she tends to hit it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Look up Terry O'Quinn and how many roles he had

I think its three right? Two different characters during the first few seasons of the show and then that role in the movie where he lets the bomb go off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Krenzo posted:

This second episode made me think back to the Red Museum episode from season 2. Kids were being kidnapped and injected with alien DNA taken from the alien fetus. I feel like we've seen this all before, but they're trying really hard to pretend that it's new.

Exactly my problem. This doesn't feel like a continuation of the existing story, but it doesn't feel like a break with the past either. Its a rehash of stuff they've done before(multiple times even), and it doesn't really feel fresh and new at all, so why not just make this season a direct continuation of story they already had?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

Yes. Scully is the audience in that scene.

"Dear Lord, Mulder, have you been hitting the phenazepam?"

Works in theory, but in practice what ended up happening was more like:

"Dear Lord, Carter, have you been hitting the phenazepam?"

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mortanis posted:

I kinda hope they touch on what happened to Gibson Praise. I wound up liking the kid more on my recent rewatch. I'd forgotten how many seasons he appeared in, and Fox spent something like a hear chilling with him in the desert. He's someone I could see them getting in touch with given the whole thing with him supposedly having alien DNA.

Yea but for a long time he was "the key to the X-files" because of his alien DNA. Now it seems like there's probably a shitload of Gibson Praise's out there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

mobby_6kl posted:

Talked to a coworker about the last episode and was surprised that he didn't like it at all, actually even less than the first one, he said. Apparently the issue is that it felt like a genre B-grade stuff... which I thought was exactly the point of the show.

Yea sounds like a guy who hasn't seen the original episodes in a long time. There were soooo many episodes that were way more influenced by B-movies than this one.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

Holy moly, I can't believe how bad these are. Did Duchovny get worse at acting or am I just older now and have seen more acting? Maybe this will all tie together better but so far it feels like a bunch of fanfiction nuts got together and wrote a script after reading an issue of infowars to make it seem contemporary.

He's always had a somewhat monotone, unemotional affect. He's capable of strong emotion but its not his natural acting style.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

bobkatt013 posted:

Issues involving his sister and Scully he gets pretty emotive. See the episodes where she has been abducted and missing.

Oh yea, he gets pissed when they take Scully. Like, I'll burn this whole loving thing to the ground pissed.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

He nearly strangles Duane Barry. It's too bad Krycek killed him off, that two-parter works so well because the guy who plays Barry is so good at playing an insane abductee.

Have you ever seen Lifeforce?. Its the guy who played Duane Barry starring in a batshit insane, yet very high budget sci/fi-horror movie and the characters are very similar. His name is Steve Railsback, he's really good at playing unhinged, yet still good-hearted characters.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
These days(well, for the past decade or so) networks care more about other factors like demographics, blu ray sales, and binge-appeal than they used to, so the emphasis on ratings isn't what it was. If a show has a niche audience, but that audience is critical to the established ad contracts, it may be worth renewing it regardless of ratings. Or if the show has low ratings, but does really well on Netflix, that may justify its renewal because it means viewers are fairly likely to switch to watching episodes live if they catch up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That was really, really good. That episode should have been the finale of the original series.

Its kinda weird for any new fans I guess. With just six episodes its hard to have the tone swing back and forth so dramatically like that without nostalgia working in your favor.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I feel if someone is going to sit down and take the time to experience the X-files, they should at least see a few stinkers. The show has a lot of episodes and not all of them were great, big deal.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

My wife was talking about a co-worker of hers mentioning that they need to go back and watch the original series episodes so they can talk about them after the mini-series is over. They don't want to watch from the beginning, so I know there is a definitive list of must watch episodes out there. Where can I find that list? I don't want to cut all the mytharc or all the MOTW episodes, I just want to cut it down to the eps that they will really be able to discuss.

Personally? I'm cool with rewatching the entire series, episode by episode, cause that's how I roll. :clint:

The mytharc is kinda all or nothing, I've done rewatches where I only watched mytharc episodes, or only MotW, but it would be tough to figure out which mytharc episodes to cut out.

Best bet is probably every mytharc episode, which isn't as many as you might think, then pick the best two or three MotW episodes from each season. There's a thousand "Best MotW Xfiles episodes" lists out there to reference.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wasn't following the thread live, but has anyone commented about how the scene where "Downtown" is playing probably was actually a reference to Home? It was very very similar to the scene in Home where the family pulls up outside the house and then goes inside and murders the sheriff.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

He was obviously being nice to scully by not telling her how she dies.

Its possible, but at that point Scully already had been abducted and was given the alien implant, so that may be what Bruckman was referring to. Its implied that the women with the implant live extremely long lives, or possibly forever if they aren't purposely killed. That may be what the writers were going for there.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea if the ratings stabilize at anywhere above a 2.0 the network will probably be very into bringing it back for another mini-run.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

BJPaskoff posted:

I got deja vu from that as well, but I may be confusing it with the Cher episode where, if I remember correctly, cheery music played during all the "monster" appearances.

I mentioned this earlier on the page but I'm convinced it was an homage to the scene in Home where the family shows up at the sheriffs house and the music is playing as he and his wife are murdered.

It wasn't the same song but the scenes are very similar and the lighting really reminded me of that scene, plus the title of the episode had me looking for it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

Did they have a parting of ways or something, or did circumstances just force an end to their partnership way back when?

That hasn't really been fully explained. I guess its maybe implied that the "ghost" of their son made it too painful to be around each other.

If you're talking about their jobs at the FBI, the series ended with the X-files closed so there was no official partnership.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Junkenstein posted:

Aren't they together in the second movie and we then also see their split?

I can barely remember that movie, but I thought they were still together in that. I mean there were no emotional romantic scenes or make-out sessions but I thought they were staying in the same motel room at least. I should watch it again, I actually liked it more than most seemed to at the time.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

A special moment in every X-Files viewer's life is the moment he or she learns how not at all like Scully Gillian Anderson really is.

This isn't exactly a compliment but her character on Hannibal always seemed a lot closer to her actual personality.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Comrade Fakename posted:

It's pretty clear that the show is leading up to the reveal of Mulder and Scully's 15 year old son.

Sadly yes. I assume he will be working with CSM in come capacity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I love Gillian Anderson but she and Carter and combining forces to gently caress these episodes up. Maybe these lines are just impossible to pull off, but she's got no umph in her delivery at all. Duchovney isn't completely pulling it off either but he's not as distracting as Andersons droll, emotionless tone.

I'm specifically talking about the two Carter episodes here, magically Anderson has way more energy in the others. I guess the blame goes mostly to Carter.

• Locked thread