Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
It was a mistake, you could argue a predictable one, to try to include both MotW and myth-arc in a 6-episode miniseries. It needed to be all or nothing, either a complete, six episode myth-arc story, or just drop that completely and do a more anthology style MotW series. There was just no way to do anything meaningful with the established mythology in two or three episodes, which is a problem Carter himself caused but doesn't seem to recognize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's really no excuse for these six episodes not to be polished up to a perfect shine, but then again, that was also true of the movies and look how those turned out.

Compare it to say, the Arrested Development revival season, and there's a major difference in the love and effort you can feel when you watch one versus the other. Even if you didn't like that season of Arrested Development you can see how its bursting at the seams with jokes, maybe even moreso than the original series, and how they used this extra writing time to make the different stories connect in insane ways they maybe couldn't have in a more typical production schedule.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PBS Newshour posted:

They're going to be in the next episode as well.

Yea I just assumed it was a one-off joke but then I saw them in next week's preview. They wouldn't include them in more than one episode if they weren't at least considering a spin-off type thing.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sofia Coppola_OD_ posted:

kinda wish they never made any new x files eps

Its really not that big a deal because its not like the original series had a pristine reputation. It's last two seasons are widely regarded to be crap, and there was a liberal sprinkling of crap throughout the series from day 1. I'm glad they tried at least, and even if we only got one really good episode that's one more than we had before.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ginette Reno posted:

I stopped watching after the first two and I'm a huge X-Files fan. I might try to catch these in syndication at some point I guess but the first two were bad enough I don't have much desire to. I'll always have seasons 1 through 6 I guess.

Now I'm worried the Twin Peaks revival will suck :ohdear:. I have a lot more faith in Lynch than Carter though, and in fairness to Carter I think a lot of the problems with the new show stem from it being only 6 episodes and them trying way too hard to cram a ton of poo poo in there. If they had 12 or so I have a feeling it would be much better, but who knows I guess

You should check out episode 3 at least, that's the one that everyone seems to agree was really good. Go ahead and quit after that though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I wonder if Duchovney and Anderson read these scripts and actually thought they were good or if it was just money and/or nostalgia that brought them back.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
To arrive at this point for what could potentially be the real end of the series is actually kind of impressive in how little reliable information we really have about what the gently caress was going on for 9+ seasons.

So all that poo poo in Antarctica was just a government smoke screen? They abducted Scully and put her in a gigantic space ship full of crazy hybrid creatures, then let Mulder find her?

What's the deal with the black oil if its just 100% a government experiment, and not actually an alien entity? If the Syndicate invented it based on alien tech or some poo poo, then why did it infect a caveman hundreds of thousands of years ago?

AND SO ON....

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Who owns the rights to the actual series? Carter or Fox?

Is there any way we can get a Carter-less X-Files is what I'm getting at.

I don't have a source handy but I've read multiple interviews where Duchovney says he'd only ever participate in the show if Carter(and Anderson) is involved. Without all three of them he's not interested, and I doubt its worth it for Fox to pay him enough to change his mind.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Miller and Einstein aside, and I actually don't mind them that much, I'd be willing to give Next Generation X-files a shot. Make Skinner their boss, have them going up against the shambling re-animated corpse of Smoking Man, bring back Krycek somehow. It could work, at least in a fanservicey kinda way.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm pissed that they were just like "gently caress it lets bring back CSM", but they didn't do the same for Krycek. I always loved the intense visceral hatred he always inspired in Mulder and Skinner.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

25, apparently.

Perfect for a young FBI agent. William Mulder II and Agent Black should team up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PBS Newshour posted:

Ehh, there was some things way different from the original series, when it comes to like just how it looked and kinda production in that area, but most of the complaints I have heard haven't been about that.

The things that are wrong with these new episodes were also present in the original series to varying degrees depending on the season. This was just all that same poo poo but to the extreme, everything wrong with the X-files in pure concentrated form.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

computer parts posted:

Nah, you're purposefully downplaying this season. There are at least two, probably three episodes (I'm waffling on "Home Again") that would've been above average to all time greats in S10 had they been in the first six seasons.

I know this because I've been watching them for the first time over the past month.

I agree that the highs of this season would fit right into classic X-files, but the lows are some of the lowest the show has ever seen. There are a very small handful of episodes from the original run that are as bad as the My Struggle I and II, and they were spread out over 9 seasons. If this were a full 22 episode season and these were the only poo poo episodes, fine. But the ratio here was bad and much worse than its ever been in the past.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The overarching story that this Syndicate has been secretly working with alien colonists to bring about an invasion, but is really just stalling for time so that they can figure out how to beat them, is fairly coherent. When you start getting into any level of detail beyond that it falls apart.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea, you know I think one thing this revival showed was how fitting the original ending was. The X-files at its best was about hacking through this jungle of conspiracies to eventually get to something resembling the truth. An episode where Mulder and Scully definitively find out that the aliens are invading, and even the date that the invasion is going to start, kinda has to be the end of the show because its not designed to go past that point. Do we really need/want to see Mulder running around as a resistance fighter ala Falling Skies? At that point its X-files in name only.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
So many shows are made that I'll never watch and don't give a poo poo about, so hey why not, make a few more seasons of X-files. I don't see any downside really, we're bound to get a gem or two in each season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I just watched this and it really is horrifically bad. It's a very sad thing to see actually.

• Locked thread