Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Help, I just dropped $300 AUD ($205 USD) on the X-Files bluray boxset.

I'm so loving happy :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
What the fu-hu-huuuuck did I just watch :qq:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
How come someone hasn't made a gif/screenshot of Bigface McGee shovelling food into its enormous face yet? From the mutant children walk-by scene.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

:barf:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
So I know the show never addresses this question, but what's the general feeling in the fandom about episodes involving things like the christmas ghosts, genies, etc? Are they considered non-canon? Or, in the X-Files universe, are there really all these supernatural forces running around the planet while aliens are also visiting? Does the aliens' home planet also have ghosts on it, or are they just an earth phenomenon?

Couldn't Mulder have used his genie wish to make Samantha come back, or to wish all the evil aliens away from earth forever? Why don't these storylines intersect?

Fringe did a really good job of having everything tied into just one "subgenre" of SF (basically, out-of-control science) but X-Files goes crazy dipping into every pot.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Become a Scientologist?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I just rewatched Fire (1x12) which was pretty cool because the villain is awesome, but what the hell was his motivation? Why was he burning members of the aristocracy alive? And why was there that painting of the dude's wife in the Massachusetts house when they get there?

Is he A) lusting over the wives, B) painting portraits of them, then C) burning the husbands? If so, how come we never see part A or B of that? Apart from one throwaway line about love letters.

Also, what happened to the family's driver? He just drank some tainted cough syrup, but then his skin went all melty.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Don't forget fatpire. That episode is hilarious.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

The best part of this (all-round amazing) podcast is when he digs up comments and theories from Usenet newsgroups posted the date of the original airing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope Kumail covers the episodes from a fan perspective on the podcast.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Because we treat the homeless like trash. Like we treated our son!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Ruuuuhhh rooohhhhhh.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Maelstache posted:

Yeah, it's that thing where no-one involved is trying to be racist, but they end up becoming so unintentionally due to a lack of cultural knowledge, which leads to falling back on the kind of stereotypes that look fairly regrettable with the passage of time.

And eventually you end up with a story about an Indian dwarf who likes to crawls up people's butts.

So just to be clear is any depiction of Indians crawling up people's butts an example of Indophobia?

Was Saving Private Ryan racist against Germans because every single one was portrayed as a Nazi soldier?

Of course not. It wasn't a story about "good" Germans, why waste time showing any? It would serve no narrative purpose.

Badlaa was about an Indian butt dweller. There was no need demonstrate the full range of Indian life in America. To its credit, Badlaa at least made an effort to depict indobuttdwellerophobia behavior on screen.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
At this point it's all so hosed up that I'd rather have a total reboot. Go back to young FBI agents investigating weird poo poo in small towns including the occasional supposed alien abduction. Ditch ALL of the bullshit mythology and build a new, different thing from scratch (but still about aliens)

Fun twist: Scully is Spooky (and had a younger brother named Sam who disappeared), Mulder is the religious but skeptical medical doctor.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Yeah but Fringe was 100% weird science and alternate universes.

This will be 100% aliens and paranormal

Also Fringe was great but never captured the weird small town USA feeling of early XF.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Glad I got the bluray box set :3:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There's also an Audible series coming out in July called The X-Files: Cold Cases, which will be set between the 2nd movie and season 10.

That's now the only period they can tell cool stories any more because season 10 hosed up everything :smith:

http://deadline.com/2017/04/the-x-files-cold-cases-teaser-david-duchovny-gillian-anderson-audio-reprise-video-1202066904/

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

bobkatt013 posted:

Tonights Twin Peaks had a X-files reference and if you are not watching it you are missing out.

Is it accessible for someone who never saw the old Twin Peaks?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Cool, pushing that to the back of my to-watch queue then

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

remusclaw posted:

I wonder how awful the resolution of the season 10 cliffhanger is going to be. Massive cop out being pretty much necessary to ensure the show isn't some kind of post apocalyptic show.

Mass contagious hysteria. An episode of House did it.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BrandonGK posted:

There were countless scenes of the consortium members discussing the aliens and colonization amongst themselves with no reason to lie. What? Were they all being punked by an even more powerful secret society of global elites?

(Chris Carter voice) Or were there???????

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

dont even fink about it posted:

The last season of the X-files truly shattered my previous notions on how bad a show can get.

I don't know what the worst season of a once-great show was: X-Files 10 or Dexter 8. Any other contenders?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Open Source Idiom posted:

AAAH! AAAH! THEY BROUGHT KARIN KONOVAL BACK!

I'm probably literally the only person who cares, but she's a scary as gently caress awesome Canadian actress, who's probably most famous for being the mother in Home. She's really good.

Weird trivia, she also plays (in mo-cap) Maurice the (male) orangutan in all 3 recent Planet of the Apes films

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bring back the jaguar spirit from Teso Dos Bichos but do it right this time. With budget and good scares. "Vengeful animal spirit takes over the pets of small town" is way too cool an idea to be lost forever.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Also I miss the early x-files trope of "loving terrifying thing in nature that can't be stopped" - Ice, Darkness Falls, Firewalker. Our planet is spooky!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The X-Files take on slenderman would have been awesome but after that awesome cold open it just turned out to be "oh I was punking the two girls I'm dating with mind powers", what the gently caress

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

mobby_6kl posted:

Darin Morgan: Alexa, how explicit do I have to make the point for goons to get it?
Alexa: Very. Why not spell it out in the cold open with what happened to Tay.

Anyway this might not be my favorite DM episode, I still liked it a whole bunch. It's pretty amazing that if this aired during the show's original run, it would look like crazy dystonian cyberpunk nightmare, and now it's like, yeah all this could happen any day.

It wasn't a DM one though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I wonder if Hitler could have written a better X Files finale than Chris Carter :thunk:

• Locked thread