Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Vintersorg posted:

Oh, apparently SATAN exists in this universe? Or is it a SATANIC ALIEN. Holy poo poo this episode was insane - "Die Hand Die Verletzt". It sure was something to watch before bed. I am surprised it didn't feature Scully freaking the gently caress out since she really holds onto her beliefs.

What I like about that episode is that, if you think about it, Mulder and Scully don't really do anything - Mrs. Paddock just kills the bad guys and then disappears. They're completely ineffectual. They could have never shown up and everything would have turned out more or less exactly the same way. I love episodes like that - it really underscores how bizarre and weird the world of the X-Files is, that there's all these crazy things happening and even if you stumble onto what's happening, sometimes it just goes on and there's nothing you can do about it or understand about it.

I just watched The Calusari and that's another episode that's kind of like that - Mulder kind of helps out, but in the end, the ones who actually accomplish something are a bunch of old Romanian dudes; Mulder and Scully are just there hanging out. Fun episode as well.

Good to see an X-Files thread again, even though I never posted in the old ones. Everyone go read Shaenon Garrity's X-Files recap comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Jack Gladney posted:

I just watched one about a magic panther killing people who stole sacred artifacts from an ancient burial site. It's season 3, X-Files: you can do better than a magic panther. That one about the invisible zoo animals was a season earlier and was at least weird as gently caress.

If I recall correctly, it's not so much a magic panther as a bunch of kitties?

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

PrincessKate posted:

Then why does she do things that are detrimental to Fox Mulder and advantageous for CSM, like signing Mulder out of the hospital in Sixth Extinction? When Mulder asks his mother what her relationship is with CSM, why doesn't she just tell him rather than slap him and explain to him everything that happened with Samantha?

Nice avatar

Anyway, yeah, the metaplot is ultimately disastrous and hopefully they won't touch any of it. It's really hard to see how that would be satisfying or good.

Also hopefully they shoot it in Vancouver, as long as we're wishing.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I hope they make episodes about ghosts.

Quotin' this

Also, I hope they don't make it mythology-centric. You would hope enough time has passed that everyone kind of has to realize that the mythology was a mess, and also that a ton of the potential pool of viewers just wouldn't be familiar with it.

But then again who knows. Maybe they still think that closure is something that's even possible to achieve.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

I want to see Krycek get slapped around by Skinner for an entire episode. Like there's no plot or anything; it's just Krycek going about his day, maybe buying groceries and stuff, and every now and then Skinner pops up and decks him for like, no reason. Maybe Krycek goes to see a movie and Skinner sits behind him and dumps popcorn on his head and kicks his seat for a bit before punching him and walking out.

Can we get a Kickstarter going for this?

Also, yeah. I would say the optimal thing for the remake would be to explain nothing, at all, about the time jump, or the conspiracy, or whatever. Just make some good X-Files episodes.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

The Field Where I Died is not underrated. It sucks. (I'm not sure that Home is underrated either, but that's mostly because I thought everyone agreed it was awesome)

Anyway, that's awesome news. Interesting that they're not working together, but still.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

The Field Where I DIed is a good episode, and I don't understand why people hate it.

I really dislike the way that these big ideas that would have huge implications for the basic concept of the X-Files as a whole (Fox Mulder is the reincarnation of whoever and has this soulmate etc etc etc) are just tossed off in a random MotW episode and then forgotten about. The concept of the episode is just kind of too big and affects too much about the series to work. I also think it puts its thumb on the scale - it doesn't leave enough room for doubt about what's going on.

Also, the episode is just generally dippy. It's too overdramatic to really work on an emotional level for me.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

No it's Dr. Bambi

It's clearly the redheaded British woman from Fire

man, did that episode blow

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

See, that episode didn't bother me as much - I think because it was possible to just regard the walk-in stuff as something that Mulder believed because it was important to him, less as a literal depiction of truth, and also because it provided closure to the Samantha storyline which was p much always bad.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

mr.capps posted:

Paper Hearts was a pretty decent Samantha episode. I kinda liked all the "no paranormal or conspiracy stuff" episodes though there were so few of them. Its a good thing though there were so few of them.

Oh, you're right, Paper Hearts was good.

But other than that... especially any episode where she actually appeared as a clone or whatever. Just dumb.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Castle Radium posted:

Whenever I rewatch Fallen Angel I always expect to hear "Unmarked Helicopters" by Soul Coughing playing in Max's trailer, and I'm always a little disappointed when it isn't there(it's replaced with generic radio noises.) I guess either the band or the publisher withdrew permission to use it, I don't know. But it's kind of weird that except for off-air recordings from the time, there's no version of that episode with the song still in it. It wasn't on the VHS release, DVD or Netflix. Somehow they managed to clear every other song featured in the show apart from that one.

I think it's in the other episode with Max. The two-parter with the plane crash in s4.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Jimbot posted:

What's the widely considered "point of decline" for the series?

season 6, after the movie and the move to LA

Sure, there are some good MOTW episodes after that point, but the whole feel of the show is different and the average level of quality is a lower IMO

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

SwissCM posted:

Chris Carter is a pretty good writer. The first X-Files movie which he wrote and directed is fantastic. The second one would have made a fine 45 minute episode in a revival series but it didn't work as a movie.

Chris Carter's a fine writer with some very, very obvious flaws. More importantly, X-Files was always kind of a melange of visions, so I just wouldn't want him to write every single episode.

Of course, a lot of that also depends on how heavy they decide to go on the myth arc.

James Woods Fan posted:

Watching Ice on Netflix (in HD!) and the guest cast is pretty good. I didn't recognize Felicity Huffman at first.

Kenny Bania, too! Very solid episode.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Fringe is decent but it has a really different appeal to me than X-Files does. The shows seem really tonally different and I don't feel at all similarly about the two of them.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

What really stood out to me during my rewatch was the sheer number of actors that I recognized from Stargate SG-1 episodes showing up in secondary/guest roles during the Vancouver seasons. Canadian sci-fi! :argh:

My favorite Canadian minor character is the Baltimore police officer from Erlenmeyer Flask who has just a ridiculously strong and obvious Canadian accent. Like they don't even try to pretend.

Also he looks eerily similar to Bruce McCulloch

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

mabels big day posted:

Just finished season 5. Is the movie required viewing? I started season 6 but it was quickly apparent that it was starting up where the movie had left off. It's a shame the movie isn't on netflix when the rest of the series is.

It's probably a better idea to use that as an excuse to stop watching the arc episodes entirely at that point

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

Absolutely, whenever the show would do something comedic it would be some of the funniest stuff on television for its time. I think it's the episode with the Fiji Mermaid where someone is talking to Scully about Mulder and you see him in the distance standing with his foot on something looking like he stepped out of the cover of a romance novel, it kills me just thinking about it.

"Can you imagine going through life looking like - like that?"

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

To be more specific, iirc, aliens were abducting aliens and artificially impregnating them to save them from extinction, then returning them, except invisible and in the wild

Or something

It's kind of a mess of an episode

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I think Teliko is a decent MotW episode, and I feel like its cultural stuff is more... awkward and unfortunate than malicious, I guess.

Teso and Hell Money are no good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

Astroman posted:

The exception of course was soap operas, which were very continuity heavy but never reran. X-Files broke the mold by combining the two, which makes Chris Carter a tv genius.

Nah, that was Twin Peaks. Although Carter probably had a lot to do with making it something that could survive more than 2 seasons.

• Locked thread