Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm doing a rewatch of this on netflix at the moment. When it first aired I was a kid, but I absolutely loved it. Some (hell most) of the motw were really scary for me at the time, but the bees and black oil were really poo poo scary. The bees in particular were like "how can we make am insect people are generally fearful of even worse? I know!" And they did just that.

The x-files really appealed to me as a kid. I remember actually wanting to be mulder because the idea of investigating the paranormal and aliens seemed awesome. Curse you adulthood for ruining my childhood dreams!

Fringe is the only show that almost replicated the awesome of x files, but I don't think it could ever replicate how successful the series was. You say x files to anyone they will know what you're on about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Just caught up with the final episode and what the gently caress. Just what the gently caress?

I almost had a bottle of whisky out for every time the phrase "Alien DNA" was used. I reckon I would have been on the floor by the end of it. They just seemed to piss over everything. All over the original series, all over the new one, all over any sort of intelligence or pre-planning or thought process they had for it. Just literally "Hey, is this your favourite show? Well watch closely as we piss all over it."

I think my brain left at some point. I think my brain went "gently caress this poo poo," packed a bag and exited. Whoever wrote this pile of crap needs to be taken out to a wall and shot. It just didn't make sense. Everyone is going to die except anyone who has magical-alien-dna (tm) because CSM wants to depopulate the planet just cause. Then toward the end of the episode it basically throw in as many buzz words as possible. Alien DNA, stem cells, crispr-cas (apparently a relatively new thing according to my girlfriend that is commonly used in day to day science today, but the way it was used in the x-files is entirely wrong).

And then...well...what exactly is the end result? The X Files was never really designed for a sort of end-of-the world scenario series and I can't stand agent youth face and bitch-Einstein (I call her that because her character is extremely annoying and whoever thought that Einstein would be a good name also needs shot).

The entire series has been a disaster. It's been an actual real life scenario of why some favourite tv series should be just best left dead. The only one in the series who seemed to be at least trying to put some sort of heart into it was Gillian Anderson. Duchovny seemed to be sleepwalking through the entire thing, putting forward wild ideas completely irrelevant to the plot (I can only presume the magic mushroom thing was his idea). The ending was basically a gigantic poo poo. It didn't try to present itself as anything else, it just literally was poo poo, with Chris Carter presenting it proudly, as if he had made a work of art.

I do hope the Fox executives looked at this and went "Haha, nope" and that'll be the end of it. I don't think I want more X-Files anymore. :(

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Acer Pilot posted:

New season tonight. Wonder how they'll cop out of the finale last season...

It was all a dream.

• Locked thread