Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I can't really watch a lot of this anymore
Years of Truthers, Birthers, and other mainstream conspiricy accusers have made really put Mulder's rants about THE GOVERNMENT in a negative light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

esselfortium posted:

Oh god, that episode, haha. How many times were Mulder and Scully afflicted with some clearly-irreversible ailment that they were completely healed of by the end of the episode?

The worst was that episode where they were hypermutating and it turned out they were evolving into salamanders and had salamander babies but then they just cut to the end of the episode and somehow despite the rest of the episode being a struggle with their condition the doctor somehow just makes them human again offscreen.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Oh my loving god this episode was the best poo poo.
A lot of the x-files episodes I watched as a kid were the humorous ones like Jose Chung and Small Potatoes, and this is right up there with them.

I'm still going to hope against hope that one of the serious episodes can be as high quality as this one, they've been a little rough.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Hey I'm going to skip past some of the discussion since I'm watching this now, but just want to know if there's some references from past episodes I'm missing.
It seems Scully has quite a bit of extended family, was any of it from past seasons? Like was Charlie invented for this episode, or were all the names invented for this episode.
Also "Signed by two naval officers" sounds familiar, weren't there two mytharc related naval officers.

I will say it's disappointing that this doesn't have anything to do with Home despite the title. Usually I'd not assume but I did go to a q/a session with Duchovny and at one point he did start going on about Home, I guess I mentally conflated the two things.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Fargo had ufo scenes???? Maybe I need to go watch Fargo.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Ugh that episode was poo poo, and I don't really get what the hell it was trying to do.

This reboot's been loving frustrating. Nothing has been creepy or intriguing. Maybe founder's mutation a little.

Kind of feel like this small chance they were given would be a great time to show they could still scare people shitless and earn more time for the drama, they have a new generation they have to make care about this. Did old fans even want the kid back? I might be heartless and immature but I'm kind of tired of Scully crying: the series. Maybe next episode will change it up and be about Mulder crying.

Yes were-monster was good but if Darin Morgan is going to be the only writer who can write then there's not going to be another miniseries.

And yeah, I'd like there to be another miniseries where they just let new authors at it and just have them write about a skeptic and a paranoid investigating Mysterious Mysteries with demons, aliens, and mutants.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Use "social awareness art project coming to life and going on a rampage murdering conservatives" from the reboot, see if anyone gets it. Or even better, statues that move when you aren't looking at them.

The wikia probably has a more complete list of monsters to choose from.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's confusingly straightforward.
Everything they directly told to the viewer happens, it just tells such an unsatisfyingly stupid and pointless story you just continually ask "wait, was that it? REALLY?".

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's the fault of the other episodes being so bad and no fault of the episode itself.
Like, Mulder and Scully are kind of characterized differently than in the series around them. Mulder's questioning his job and Scully is actually confident and competent and not crying about her baby. Which is A direction to take for the MS pair on returning work, just not what the other episodes took.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Ok ok, here's an idea. An x files reboot where original mulder and scully are different characters that just guest occasionally.

And the show runner is Steven Moffat

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I basically think almost ANYONE except Chris Carter could pull off a reboot.

You could even tie it to the original now that people think they're in the wrong universe because they misremembered poo poo. A mandela effect episode. Though there were people reporting that they woke up in the wrong family and such years before...

But anyway people have been recasting and rewriting Sherlock Holmes for years, I think a good show runner who is not senile could do the series right someday.

I am kind of joking about Moffat, though when he's doing just one mystery or monster at a time and not a full series he can do some good poo poo that would be x-files motw worthy, he's probably a lot of people's first picks but he'd still screw up a long term plot.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
What percent of the runtime will be scully crying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Give it two to five years and X-Files will be rebooted without Carter. That people even gave this poo poo a chance after that last season means there's an audience, but there'd be an even bigger audience for an X-Files with more of a crazy motw focus, a competent producer, and younger leads. It's a timeless formula once you have removed the horrible mythos: skeptic and believer investigate creepy weird poo poo, it just does not deserve the baggage. And again, a sane and competent producer who can pick out two leads and twist the formula, not whatever the loving hell was going on in that flaming bag of poo poo mushroom episode last season.

• Locked thread