Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Which one was "Babylon"?

The one with the terrorist in a coma, the magic mushrooms, and the Mulder and Scully Jr. pair (though I honestly didn't mind them).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ignis posted:

The tone-deaf portrayal of muslims and muslim terrorists in the year 2016, the Pieta imagery, and the idea of inserting a magic mushroom trip in the middle of an episode that was otherwise not that wacky, for starters. Also, some people were mad the Lone Gunmen cameo was used for a magic mushroom trip scene.

The magic mushroom trip itself was pretty great imo, until they get to the scene with the Pieta and Claire Fisher being a dominatrix

It also ends with the sound of God as Mulder tells Scully that maybe the lesson of the episode is just to be nice to people, or something incredibly trite along those lines.

I liked the Pieta part of the trip solely because it had the CSM as Charon while Tom Waits' "Misery is the River of the World" played.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

AD season 4 can't possibly be on that list because Tobias' storyline is absolute gold

I was disappointed in AD season 4, but I thought that the Tobias and GOB episodes were legitimately some of the best episodes in the entire show. Plus DeBrie, Argyle Austero, and especially Herbert Love were amazing new characters.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Other than using the word 'chupacabra' and the Spanish-speaking setting there's really nothing at all in common between the plot of the episode and any of the chupacabras myths with which I am familiar.

Well to be fair, very little of the alien/UFO stuff featured on The X-Files has anything to do with "real" UFO culture in the US, either. Really, the Jose Chung episode was probably was the one based most off of it. That and Duane Barry.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I really like War of the Coprophages. It's a shame it doesn't seem to get as much love as Darin's other episodes (including from Darin himself, though the guy does seem like his own toughest critic).

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember when they were filming IWTB, Carter had fake werewolf suits made so that pictures of them leaked and for a while people thought that the movie was going to be about werewolves. Still kind of wish it was.

The only things about it that really stuck out were that the villains ticked off every single conservative nightmare of the Bush era (Russians, illegal immigrants, stem cell researchers, gay marriage) and Duchovny blamed the movie tanking on The Dark Knight coming out the previous week.

Pops Mgee posted:

I liked the Battlestar finale but I know a lot of people don’t.

I've warmed on it a bit over the years (almost 8 years now... drat) but I still think their original plan for the final season, before they changed it during the writers' strike, would have been a lot better.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

From what I remember, the mutineers were going to be successful in the rest of the fleet, which would have jumped away from the Galactica and been destroyed by the Cylons, leaving the Galactica as the last human ship. After the final battle in the Cylon HQ, the Galactica would jump away to Earth but be damaged enough to crash on it, rather than going into orbit (and causing the survivors to be stranded on Earth rather than by choice). The ending shot would have been archaeologists digging beneath an ancient temple and finding the Galactica.

There were a few other things with changed character motivations - I think Ellen Tigh would have actually joined Cavil's side - but at this point I can't remember the specifics.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Vakal posted:

At least Reyes is still looking pretty good after all these years.

She had a good run on the last two seasons of Halt and Catch Fire.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

She was also Ben's sister in the episode of Parks and Rec when they go back to Ben's hometown. And in a couple episodes of Pretty Little Liars too, I think, early on.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

The one MOTW that occurs to me who I've always been surprised didn't come back was Mark Sheppard's guy from season one who could start fires with his mind.

Wasn't he originally intended to come back? I vaguely remember that from The X-Files Files episode about that episode.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s the one where Mulder concludes that aliens turned it invisible for fun.

A good episode.

They turned it invisible after impregnating it with alien science, too.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I actually think I liked this better than Were-Monster, though obviously both are great and top-tier for the series as a whole. There was just so much going on here in so many directions and I loved each and every one of them. Big tip of the hat to Morgan for actually tying this in with references in prior episodes so well, too.

Best part, I watched this with my girlfriend who has never been too interested in watching Twilight Zone, but she let me put on two episodes immediately after, so hopefully I made a convert.

Wasn't a picture of Reggie shown in some FBI memo earlier this season? Or is that just me suffering from the Mengele Effect?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Chop Sunni posted:

I had a brief mandala effect thing for reggie (who I looked up afterwards) and stephen tobolowsky, who I'm legit surprised wasn't in earlier episodes.

Tobolowsky was in an episode of The Lone Gunmen, though. I think it was kind of a parody of his role from Memento, with him having some kind of memory-rewrite thing, though it's been so long since I've seen it that I might be completely missing the mark.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

"My Struggle III" was the only one I hated, and even that was a step up from I and II. "The Lost Art of Forehead Sweat" and "Rm9sbG93ZXJz" are great, but even the rest of the episodes have ranged from forgettable at worst to really good.

I think it's been a success so far and even though I'm extremely cautious about "My Struggle IV" I'm glad season 11 as a whole exists.

As long as there's a Darin Morgan episode per season, the rest of the episodes can be completely poo poo as far as I'm concerned and it will still be a net positive.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

When Scully's fridge started shooting ice at her, it was reminiscent of the scene in Maximum Overdrive where a vending machine shot a soda can into a guy's nuts. Then when he crouched in pain it fired the soda killshot on his forehead. Then a steamroller ran over some children.

And then the Soviets save the world by shooting down the UFO that was causing the machines to go into maximum overdrive.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Big Beef City posted:

The original series had an entire episode devoted to paranormal lightning bugs.

Darkness Falls was good, though. It's always been one of those episode's that stuck in my mind since I first saw it in the 90s. Plus, early Titus Welliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Laterite posted:

Hungry, Goldberg Variation, Amazing Maleeni, Closure, X-Cops, En Ami, Je Souhaite, Requiem are all solid S7 episodes.

Also Hollywood AD.

• Locked thread