Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well the possible HD release is an early candidate for the best news of the year :getin:

Octy posted:

Going through my first rewatch. Season 1 has a lot of great episodes: Squeeze, Ghost in the Machine, Ice, Space, Darkness Falls... Anything with Jerry Hardin too. It brings me back to my childhood dream of wanting to work for a shadowy government organisation, but I don't know how you'd even get recruited into one. :(

I hear the NSA is hiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Yess :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kleBbnNXeJw

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ginette Reno posted:

Scully having new clothes is fine. It's years later, she shouldn't look like it's the 90's any more.

As someone said above, it's really the hair that's off. Still, I'm crazy excited about this season. Hopefully it doesn't suck.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

This must be seriously life-changing for Kumail. It's like how I'd expect a light comedy to end, if Kumail's life were a movie about a lovable loser instead of just being the life of a lovable loser. He's going to get high-fives about this for the rest of his life.

I'm sure this would be pretty cool, but he's already a star in a popular TV show himself so... I'm not sure stories about hanging out with 90s TV stars are going to get him any more pussy

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Fight the Future is pretty cool. I first saw it only having seen a couple of MoW episodes of the show and it's amazing how well it works both stand-alone and the finale to season 5 (or the series).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kurtofan posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo.

From SoA:

Also a classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kleBbnNXeJw

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I've mostly enjoyed both MOTW and mytharc episodes at least until the latter started to go off the rails soon after the movie. I really liked the overall theme and the dark, smoke-filled atmosphere, so even when the episodes didn't make much sense, they were still pretty cool.

Just watched the pilot of Millennium after all the conversation a couple of pages again - for some reason I thought it and The Lone Gunmen were the same show. Oops. It was a bit more hardcore than I expected with all the blood and tits, though it did feel a bit like a more mature episode of the X-files without Mulder and Skully. Still, pretty cool, and might watch it all before the new season airs.

Speaking of which, what's the latest info on plot? Does it continue from the end or what? I stopped watching somewhere in season 7 or 8 so I'm not actually familiar with how things ended, or whether I need to know it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
FWIW, there's a review of S10 up on the AVClub: http://www.avclub.com/review/meet-new-x-files-same-old-x-files-230759

It seems to mostly confirm some of the negative aspects that we've seen in reviews before, but this thankfully seems to be mainly concentrated in the opening episode:

quote:

... the premiere installment of this new go-around is thin gruel. Stilted and cheesy in equal measure, it will trigger memories of the show at its most ham-fisted. Series creator Chris Carter wrote and directed the leadoff, and it indulges in all of his worst tendencies. Portentous speechifying, delivered in a rush of expository monotony, is strewn throughout, as even Duchovny, the most experienced pro at selling such snake oil, is reduced to grimacing his way through monologues bereft of conviction or coherence.
..but then the MOTW and especially Darin Morgan happen and it's apparently awesome :woop:. Can't loving wait!

E. spelling/grammar

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 18, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Man, Millennium is so loving grim it's almost hilarious. But it's a pretty drat good show that I'm sure influenced a lot of later shows, just like X-files.

Sucks that the X-Files airs tonight as I won't get to see it until tomorrow night, oh well.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And we're back baby! Perhaps not the best ever but I thought it was exactly the type of episode that was the bread and butter of the series back in the day. I also liked how it was mostly a MOTW episode but still maintained some mytharc connections. There were a couple of minor issues that ha e been pointed out, but they didnt detract significantly from the qualities of the episode.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Talked to a coworker about the last episode and was surprised that he didn't like it at all, actually even less than the first one, he said. Apparently the issue is that it felt like a genre B-grade stuff... which I thought was exactly the point of the show.

What he apparently expected, and actually how I could see it going before the premiere too, was just Scully and Mulder investigating a single big mystery over the 6 episodes, something like True Detective with (actual) monsters, more or less. But as we've seen, it's quite easy to mess up, and the moment the cold open started, I was glad it was what it used to. I guess I would still be open to such a season, but I don't think it's necessary for the show to reinvent its format just because most other shows work differently nowadays.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There's actually a fake Canadian Chris Carter, maybe the real one, who used to be pretty good in X-Files and Millennium, got replaced at some point by this impostor.

I thought this episode was pretty much like the premiere - an entertaining trainwreck. Not good by any measure, but pretty hilarious anyway. I didn't mind that there was no twist, the issue is that all the ideas didn't come together coherently.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Trashman could've been way better but even as it was, I thought it was a decent enough MOTW episode.

But this... what the gently caress was that, jesus. While Mein Kampf I was mostly an entertaining trainwreck, this was just... I dunno, Chernobyl level disaster? Not much fun at all. Despite supposedly setting everything up in the premiere (and then ignoring it), it felt like everything came out of nowhere, anthrax, plague, ALIEN DNA cure, Scully and Mulder Mk2, CSM, UFO (didn't they blow it up??). I'm all for another season but only if Chris Carter is limited to a producer role, he's clearly incapable of writing a coherent story.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hey, Super baby William will be needed for the STEM CELLS, so he was set up for the next (mini)-season.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mendrian posted:

Thoughts throughout the episode:

-Why does it seem like Einstein holds out and screams and insults and then just kind of goes along with this poo poo? It was the same in Babylon too.

-Okay so wait, I thought the smoking man was trying to, in his own selfish way, protect humanity or at least a small part of it?

-How the hell do they manage to talk in enigmatic riddles when everybody involved knows what's going on?

-Wait the primary tension in this episode was that Scully didn't do a thorough enough job on a DNA test?

-Why the gently caress do we need stem cells?
Because Chris Carter. Seriously.

I think stem cells are necessary because Mulder is already in very bad shape and Scully's magic vaccine wouldn't work on him. But, again, CC.

My Q-Face posted:

That would mean he's not writing half of the episodes.
Not good enough. It's like biting on a pile of dogshit -- even if your next meal is caviar and champaign, you're still disgusted by the previous experience.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 28, 2016

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just at the beginning of S2 and it's been great so far (a few weaker episodes excluding), though not much of overarching mythology is clear so far.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I thought most of the new MotW were pretty decent to good actually. Not peak season 3-4 good but still entertaining. It's really Carter's inability to put together even a mini-arc that tanked the season overall IMO.

Fox should hand over the rights to Disney or something and have their faceless corporate drones reboot the series or something.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
As serious as Skully's cancer.

Of course I'd prefer an auteur's vision to whatever Disney is doing, but at this point it's obvious that CC completely lost the plot and shouldn't be writing this stuff.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The trump stuff was a bit too on the nose I thought but otherwise this was loving amazing. I already said this last season but they really need to pull a Star Wars and get Carter out of the creative process at this point. The show just has such an endless potential for goofy or bizarre MOTW episodes that it could easily run for seasons off that.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'd actually love a good mytharc episode but :laffo: at that happening.

esperterra posted:

I agree whole heartedly. Even My Struggle III, which is kind of the perfect encapsulation of Chris Carter ridiculousness. Even if the last two episodes are bad I'll be happy with this as a final season.

Honestly, I look forward to going out with some convoluted Carter banger. It just wouldn't be The X-Files otherwise.
Wait, is this season also only 6 episodes? I thought they were going to go back to a longer season, if not the old-school 20+ episodes, at least to the modern 10-13. That would really make a few lovely CC episodes much more tolerable.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Hopefully one day they figure out what they're doing to the frogs.

Laterite posted:

Did the ghost post kill this thread?

Anyway, tonight's episode was solid, if a bit slow-moving, kind of like last week's. Always like to see exploration of Skinner's backstory especially his Vietnam experiences. Showing him killing the grenade kid was pretty heavy. That war hosed us as a country in a lot of ways.
Yeah I liked this, and it's great to see some Skinner backstory. The first and to a lesser extend second episodes were such a mess, down to editing and cinematography, that I was seriously concerned. But everything since then has been really up to mid-grade early season episode level at least. I'd love a decent arc episode but if they can keep making decent MOTW like this one I'm all for it.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Darin Morgan: Alexa, how explicit do I have to make the point for goons to get it?
Alexa: Very. Why not spell it out in the cold open with what happened to Tay.

Anyway this might not be my favorite DM episode, I still liked it a whole bunch. It's pretty amazing that if this aired during the show's original run, it would look like crazy dystonian cyberpunk nightmare, and now it's like, yeah all this could happen any day.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I could've sworn I saw his name in the credits but it was Glen Morgan the director. Huh.

business hammocks posted:

They made a neural net and fed it Darin Morgan episodes and this is what came out.
Yeah

Well that's it, only a matter of time before they put us in camps.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
To be fair, Mulder's little monologue sounded a bit out of place and pretty much like Trump's whining about due process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Accretionist posted:

He knew a thing or two about finales after which additional finales are not required.
On the other hand his previous work is a huge rambling mess. So he'd probably fit right in.

• Locked thread