Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

The entire episode suffered from terrible dialogue and editing but the scene with Scully and Spender was laughably bad. This was honestly--no exaggeration--one of the most amateurish, awful things I've ever seen on television. What the hell has happened to Chris Carter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I really enjoyed this one. The banter was cute, Scully had agency, got to see Langly again, classic X-Files missing the mark on technology...what's not to like?

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I feel so bad for Gillian Anderson having to perform this

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

A sweet ending for a bad episode. Chris Carter has no grasp of his own character in Scully. Worried about aging, having kids--asking Mulder to hold her? I totally didn't understand their relationship so I'm glad they're back together, by the way. They live together and she's giving him funny looks about ordering the suite?

Props to the make up people for Chucky, I didn't clock that as a woman or the same actress until his second scene.

Can't wait for the Darin Morgan episode next week.

Edit: oh and her religious beliefs were a lot more important to her in the original series than she implied here. And it's silly to point out at this point but really, ghosts aren't real? C'mon Scully

Wax Lion fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 18, 2018

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

Where are you guys getting the alien shapeshifter stuff? Didn't we get explicit shots of him appearing as himself on video while he projected a different image in person? I was sincerely trying to follow Scully in the last scene and all I got was "he was an experiment... William was..." and then she trailed off because Chris Carter is completely out of ideas.

This was unbelievably bad. Like trying its hardest to ruin all previous episodes bad. I barely remember season 9 but the Scully in those episodes would not take some convoluted explanation involving aliens and experiments as an excuse to abdicate her role as "mother." And to try to paper over that with "forget him babe, you magically knocked me up for real this time" is such a sin against this character I love so much.

I guess we know why Gillian Anderson is leaving. God bless that poor woman for acting her heart out despite it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

That's amazing. I really wonder what the table read was like for this episode. Do they skip those? Surely someone had to have piped up and told Carter this script was awful.

• Locked thread