Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I bought two/three parter episodes on VHS back in the early 90's as they were sold as "movies" of sorts. They had 10 or so in total, made from different arcs like Tooms/Squeeze, the numbered train car/Japanese alien autopsy video arc, Emily, Duane Barry and the Max stuff etc. I even have the novelization of "Squeeze" and the Tooms/Squeeze VHS movie gave me nightmares for weeks. I still have the tapes somewhere too.

(Not my picture)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

War of the Coprophages is also one of my (many) favorite episodes for all the weird poo poo Scully is shown to get up to in her free time whenever Mulder calls her about killer buuuuugs scully :supaburn:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

What was the episode where Mulder's doing something with an X-File and the whole time, Scully is eating pizza in an abandoned house staking out what turns out to be a drag queen?
I think it's "Chimera" from S7.

beanieson posted:

My aunt had a bunch of the 2-3 episode VHS tapes that we'd watch together. Anyone remember the trading cards that came with the tapes? There was some crazy good art on those cards (looked like oil paintings) depicting some iconic image from that particular episode.

Edit: examples I just found on eBay, really cool stuff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-4-X-Files-Season-1-VHS-Video-Cards-V-5-8-Fallen-Angel-Eve-Squeeze-Tooms-/261368850753

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-FILES-VIDEO-VHS-DVD-COLLECTOR-CARDS-FROM-THE-1990S-X11-NO-DUPS-NEAR-MINT-/301073842385
Oh wow, I do remember those. Mine didn't have any cool art on them though, and they also came with black matte cards with white text on them and the "X" logo that you could mail out to get... something. I can't remember. I lost them unfortunately.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

cenotaph posted:

One episode I love that I don't think has been mentioned yet is the one with the trailer park vampires where both Mulder and Scully recount differing versions of events.
Luke Wilson's character being all dashing and dreamy in Scully's version and a dimwitted backwater hick cop in Mulder's is the best.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

e: In addition to LITERALLY SATAN, doesn't Bruce Campbell play a demon trying to make a half-demon baby in a later episode?
Actually he's accused of being a demon because his wife keeps giving birth to horrible demon babies which he then kills and buries but it turns out it's actually his wife who is a demon and actually wants a horrible demon baby of her own.

I think that's it anyway.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

haveblue posted:

They're both demons, but with opposite goals. He wants to live a normal human life, but every time he impregnates a woman the child comes out as a demon so he kills it and moves on. She wants to have a demon baby, but every time a human male impregnates her the child comes out normal, so she kills it and moves on. By the time M&S figure this out, she's gotten knocked up by Campbell's character, stopped him from killing it, and escaped.

Yeah, this loving show.
Right, that's the one. Also man that is loving grim even for this show, though the last shot of the episode is weirdly silly and almost sweet.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

enuma elish posted:

Good to see an X-Files thread again, even though I never posted in the old ones. Everyone go read Shaenon Garrity's X-Files recap comic.
I'm reading through this now (mostly because it's not a bad way to recap on the show) and the War of the Coprophages comic is pretty good.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

My most prominent memory about the tattoo episode is going nuts over trying to connect the tattoo's voice to a name which I couldnt do until the credits rolled.

Jodie Foster :argh:

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

That blurry, man-shaped white ghost thing shuffling past in what looks like security camera footage in the opening credits freaked me the hell out as a kid.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I Want To Believe was okay. Billy Connolly was cool and it has a rad end credits sequence.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I heard that quote is from a Nerdist podcast or whatever Anderson did some time ago? Can anyone confirm if she actually said that? Some people are saying it's a misquote or something. Would be cool though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The last movie was a lot like a toned-down, realistic MOTW episode which focused a lot more on the Mulder/Scully dynamic which set it apart from the formula. I liked it. Also the end credits sequence was rad as hell, really cool editing and the X-Files theme remix is great. I'm excited as hell for the upcoming series.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They don't have to be mutually exclusive, you could have a mythology episode with a MOTW wrapping, some episodes more or less of either. Six hour long episodes isn't too bad to wrap some things up and have it be entertaining, good ol' X-Files stuff.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Honestly, I'm more jazzed about CSM being back, as much as Skinner (and Doggett/Reyes to a lesser extent) would be nice to have back. I know CSM is dead or whatever but still. He was always in the best myth episodes.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ghost in the Machine is a stinker, yeah.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I remember thinking the stiching was more symbolic than some kind of a preventive measure. I might've made that up though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The second movie was all about paving the way to bring CSM back as a head sewn onto a dog's body.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

All six episodes will serve as a sequel to First Person Shooter.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I wonder if he was a massive cock on the set of The Green Mile, too. He nailed the part of Percy, that's for sure.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I don't see why they couldn't keep it going if the response is good. Schedules permitting, anyway.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Yeah, by schedules permitting I should've specified that I was thinking more along the lines of more "mini-seasons" like this one, not full-on revival of the show. Having it be shorter and more focused would do it more of a service anyway and, again if it's a big enough hit, they could give it a year or so between seasons to make sure no one is too busy.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

She was blonde for the second movie which felt odd and I'm glad she's going back to red for the new series. It's only right.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I think there will be many things they won't acknowledge besides that.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Carter wrote Fight The Future together with Spotnitz but Rob Bowman directed it. Carter did the second movie.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I haven't watched Hannibal but yeah, Anderson is really, really great in The Fall.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Brian Thompson is also one of the thugs with Bill Paxton who get hosed up by Arnie at the beginning of Terminator.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm just gonna wait for some kind soul to post the links to the trailers in this thread. Excited though!

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I just remembered that I have the novelization of that particular episode and I remember it being better than the episode was, though I still dig that episode. I also have novelizations of Squeeze (or one of the two Tooms episodes) and one, longer story called The Blood Wind or some such that's about a small hurricane that skins people to death. I haven't read any of them in like 15 years so I can't remember more than that, really. I'm pretty sure the latter wasn't made into an episode though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I didn't think they could do worse than the first ep of S10 but boy howdy, what garbage that was.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

The second and fourth eps barely justified watching this run. The first and last episodes were bafflingly bad and embarrassing to watch. The were-monster episode had a few good bits but much like the shroom trip in ep 5 (also bad and embarrassing), every joke went on for too long. Two and four were the only ones that actually felt x-filesy to me but I kind of had to meet them halfway.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I didn't find I Want To Believe all that objectionable, if anything it was the :wtf: factor that kept me drawn in. Also it had a pretty rad end credits sequence. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gillian Anderson is done with the show after this season, officially. So as far as I'm concerned, The X-Files is dead.

• Locked thread