Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Monica Reyes? Who? I remember being scared by the TV show when it was on during the 90s so I didn't watch it until 2007-8. Even so, I don't remember who Monica Reyes is and I really didn't mind the Doggett era episodes up to a point, that being season 9 which I refuse to acknowledge exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

joepinetree posted:

Monica Reyes is in season 8 as well. Essentially she was supposed to be the "believer" to Doggett's skeptic once Duchovny left. Except that while Mulder was all about aliens, Reyes was all about new agey crap.

It's all coming back to me. Unfortunately.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Going through my first rewatch. Season 1 has a lot of great episodes: Squeeze, Ghost in the Machine, Ice, Space, Darkness Falls... Anything with Jerry Hardin too. It brings me back to my childhood dream of wanting to work for a shadowy government organisation, but I don't know how you'd even get recruited into one. :(

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

I hear the NSA is hiring.

Yeah, I don't think they'd hire a dirty foreigner like me.

Vogon Poet posted:

Probably the first time I've seen someone call "Space" and "Ghost in the Machine" "great episodes." Really, although some late season episodes were worse, I'd probably call "Space" the dullest of the show's entire run.

Well, they're the ones I remember above episodes like Conduit or even the Pilot. I think you must be exaggerating, though, because there were some pretty boring episodes later in the show's run.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Jack Gladney posted:

While it's nowhere near Law and Order-levels of amazement, there are quite a few surprising guest stars scattered through the show. People have already mentioned Luke Wilson, Horace from Lost, and some others. Seth Green shows up at least once as a teenager who sees the monster while he's out doing drugs, and I want to say that he pops up again at the end in one with Michael Emerson.

Pre-Malcolm in the Middle Bryan Cranston shows up, maybe in the role where he met Vince Gilligan. Plus a fatter, younger Jack Black is a video game superstar, and post-fame Victoria Jackson in her last role before spiraling off to crazy town. The killer from Saw is a guy who loves cigarettes. Also Alex Trebek gets in there during one of the best episodes.

Yeah, Seth Green shows up in Deep Throat. Long red hair and some ridiculously baggy clothes. Oh, the 90s! We also see Harriet Harris playing basically the same character as on Frasier.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Man, the soundtrack to this show is just great. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-M9nvV7xW0

This piece also plays during one of the most emotionally powerful scenes in the whole show, or really any show.

Octy fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jan 26, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Did I miss a tenth season of The X-Files? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mythology_of_The_X-Files#Season_10

quote:

Fox Mulder and Dana Scully—now living together in Spotsylvania County, Virginia under the aliases Anthony and Dana Blake—are visited by Deputy Director Walter Skinner, who informs them that an unknown person hacked into the FBI's files and discovered information regarding the X-Files. Skinner is later nearly killed in his hotel room, whereas Scully is met outside of the hospital by one of her patients, the young Emily Van de Kamp who is acting as if she were possessed; Scully is soon surrounded and brutally attacked. FBI Agent John Doggett investigates a pipeline that mysteriously explodes. Meanwhile, Mulder tracks down the Lone Gunmen—revealed to have faked their deaths several years earlier—who attempt to help him find Scully. Scully, meanwhile, wakes up in a cabin surrounded by the mysterious Acolytes. She is subsequently saved by the ominous Deacon. FBI Agent Monica Reyes investigates William's adoptive parents, only to discover their dead bodies in William's room, revealing that it was some unknown entities portraying the adoptive parents. Scully learns that she is being protected by the Deacon, and that the pipeline that Dogget was investigating is carrying magnetite. Mulder is visited by the believed-to-be dead Smoking Man, who behaves extremely oddly. Skinner tracks down Emily, only to discover tell-tale signs of acidic green alien blood. Mulder visits the pipeline believed to be carrying magnetite and deduces that Scully has been taken into the surrounding woods. Meanwhile, Scully is taken by the Deacon to a general store, where she is picked up by an officer, who turns out to be a shape-shifting Acolyte; he transforms into Mulder, and Scully crashes the car. In the woods, Scully shoots the real Mulder, believing him to be Deacon. Mulder is healed by the Acolytes only to be tricked into thinking one of them is Scully. The real Scully, however manages to kill the impostor; suddenly she witnesses a massive alien space ship rise from the center of Yellowstone National Park, but begins to forget the encounter. She reports to an FBI review board, headed by Skinner, and argues that people with connections to the X-Files division are systematically being targeted. To counter this, the FBI decides to reinstate Mulder and Scully as federal agents.

On a more related note, The Host is still a great episode. The special effects in this show are amazing.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I tried to watch Twin Peaks and it just never grabbed me. I had heard it being compared to the X-files, so obviously I was interested. After the first few episodes, I felt like it was way too melodramatic and I didn't care at all about any of what was happening. It felt like a really slow, bad soap opera. I'm going to give it another shot now, though, if only to see David Duchovny cross-dressing.

The movie-length pilot episode has also been barring me from re-attempting to watch it.

You should give it another go. I loved it on the first watch, but I also loved most of the second season which is pretty controversial. Just don't go in for the movie.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

This arc of the former FBI agent taking hostages is INTENSE! Holy poo poo. I did a loving little fist pump when Skinner was like - WE NEED TO REOPEN THE XFILES! - just before that scene I was thinking, gently caress YOU Skinner - loving over Mulder cause you're scared. But wow, what a way to end that 2nd episode in the arc. I can only imagine what people thought back when it first aired. Such a good episode!

Yeah, I just finished that too.

Skinner posted:

Agent Mulder, every life, every day is in danger. That's just life.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

How does X know when Mulder wants to talk to him? I know there's the signal with the tape on the window and the blue light, but does that mean X swings by every night or that he has some low-level operative constantly watching Mulder's apartment? The former wouldn't fit in with X's repeated assertions that Mulder works for him while the latter seems a bit careless given X's status as an informant. I know I'd start to wonder what was going on after months of watching some guy's apartment for my boss.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Charlie Mopps posted:

I think that's one of those questions that has no logical answer, and should just be accepted as it is.

I mostly asked in jest, but I was also hoping there was some answer to it that I'd completely missed. I should stop thinking too much about these things.

Octy fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Feb 1, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I haven't watched most of these episodes since I was a kid, but the show as a whole so far has held up remarkably well. The physical effects were well done, the writing (even in the mediocre episodes) is competent, and I love the general atmosphere. The only weak point is the music, but for me it just adds to the nostalgia. Someone earlier mentioned that as a kid they identified more with Mulder but upon rewatching started to side with Scully more, and I have to agree. Especially in the first season, when Mulder routinely makes such enormous leaps to connect cases to the supernatural.

What do you dislike about the music? I'm curious because I posted earlier that I'd forgotten just how good it is. It's perfect atmosphere music. I don't notice it most of the time, but when I do, I enjoy it.

The special effects are really good too. I just finished watching 'F. Emasculata' (young Dean Norris!) and it's quite gruesome.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Ugh, I forgot how gross that episode is. The blisters and whatnot are so nasty looking and well done.

I remember watching that episode and thinking, due to the name, that there would be a reveal that it only affected men for whatever science reason, Mulder would get it and Scully would have to find a cure. I think in the episode, too, only men got infected, but they never actually say that so it was probably just a coincidence. I dunno. I got pretty :tinfoil:-y while I was watching it last time.

I think you're right about it only affecting men, but it's not revealed so much as implied.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Exploder posted:

It's hard for me to compare Fringe to the X-Files. Fringe was more polished and despite some inconsistencies, it was more consistent, but I don't think the chemistry between Mulder and Scully, and the atmosphere of the X-Files can ever be replicated. I'll be interested to see how well Fringe holds up in 10 years.

My problem with Fringe is that everyone immediately accepted the existence of otherworldy phenonema. Whereas with The X-Files, the scepticism on the part of everyone who wasn't Mulder kept the show interesting, beside the government conspiracy. I still liked Fringe, but will I be rewatching the whole thing in five or ten years? Probably not.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Wizchine posted:

Well yeah, but X-Files predated those shows. Law and Order pre-dated X-Files, however.

I think The X-Files mastered the art of having people die in a violent and gruesome way, though. I used to watch Law and Order pretty regularly in the 90s and they never topped anything seen on The X-Files.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Does Scully earn more money because of her medical degree? Her place is so much bigger and nicer than Mulder's.

I'm sorry. In all the years I've watched this show this is the first thread on it I've seen in forums I frequent. I've had nowhere else to go to ask my inane questions. :(

Octy fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 4, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Slate Action posted:

You could just go to the complete series cast list on IMDB and scroll to the bottom.

Oh no! John Neville aka The Well-Manicured Man is dead. I was really liking his character so far. The structure of the Syndicate always interested me in the early episodes because while it's clear that CSM is powerful and influential in Washington, he's still just one of several who all appear to be more or less equal in rank. I wonder where exactly Deep Throat and X fitted in.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

^ Interestingly, 'Agua Mala' is notable for making the cast and crew feel like they were filming back in Vancouver because of all the rain and lack of bright lighting.

We could have got worse episodes in Season 6, though. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unmade_episodes_of_The_X-Files#Season_6

EDIT - God drat, 'Grotesque' from Season 3 is a really, really dark episode.

Octy fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Feb 6, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Pendrell turns up a lot in Season 3. If I recall correctly he dies.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Poor CSM. He's killed two of the most influential men in history and he can rig Superbowl games, but he can't control the publication of his own novel. :(

'I can kill you whenever I like... but not today'.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Season 6 has been pretty bland so far. I miss the green rolling hills and snow capped mountains of Canada. It's too weird seeing Mulder in short sleeves all the time. I also feel that the writing just isn't as good, which is stupid because it's the same writers. 'Drive' is decent and the 'Dreamland' episodes were fairly good, but it's been hit and miss and I don't feel any urge to just watch five episodes in a row like I did before.

Things could be worse, though. I could be up to Season 9. I don't actually have the last season on disc so it's up in the air whether or not I'll get it for my rewatch or just pretend it never existed.

Octy fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 21, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Vogon Poet posted:

Don't forget "Tithonus," which is not only a great episode but also has a neat tie-in with Clyde Bruckman's prediction that Scully doesn't die.

Yeah, I'll admit 'Tithonus' is good. It has the vibe of a season 1/2 episode.

Octy fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 22, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I don't get why the Syndicate is so afraid of exposure. They often go on about how they can't risk the slightest exposure, but it's shown time and again throughout the series that nobody, except a select few, believe Mulder's claims about the government conspiracy or aliens. Besides, I get the impression that most people who work for the Syndicate or who are under their influence aren't aware of the true nature of their operations anyway, or they're like Kritschgau and led to believe the aliens are just a big hoax to divert attention from other stuff.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

X-Files had the greatest cellphones. Standing ten feet underground in a steel shipping container in the middle of the desert? Four bars!

They don't make them like they used to.

EDIT - There are in fact pretty good episodes in mid-to-end Season 6.

'Let me get this straight. A free spirited alien fell in love with baseball and ran away from all the other non-fun-having aliens and made himself black because that would prevent him from getting to the majors because his unspeakable secret might be discovered by an intrusive press and public. You're also implying this baseball playing alien had something to do with the Roswell Crash of 1947, aren't you?

Octy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 24, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Season 7 has 'Hungry' and 'X-Cops' too, though. For me there's very little in Season 8 that stands out apart from 'Roadrunners' and nothing at all in Season 9.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, 'Hungry' is as good as I remembered it, especially after the convoluted mytharc episodes of the new season. Smug Mulder is the best Mulder.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

45 minutes, actually. It's a shame you don't enjoy it as much, though. I still find it just as gripping as I did on my first viewing and I think for the most part it holds up well for its age.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Hey, that is Scott Wilson in 'Orison'. I don't remember how this episode ends, but I hope it's better than the sequel to 'Pusher'.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

^ Incidentally, I was reading about this on Wikipedia last night.

Wikipedia posted:

These scenes notably include a split-screen image of a seed germinating as well as a "terror-filled, warped face".[77] The latter was created when Carter found a video operator who was able to create the effect. The sequence was extremely popular and won the show its first Emmy Award, which was for Outstanding Graphic Design and Title Sequences. Rabwin was particularly pleased with the sequence and felt that it was something that had "never [been] seen on television before."

The opening credits just look so dated now, but it's hard to believe they didn't look dated back then. I still sit through it every time, but mostly for the music.

UnknownMercenary posted:

The "reveal" in Orison is really terrible and the episode in general is one of the shittier ones.

See, this is why I don't like it when monsters or villains or whatever you want to call them are brought back. It's never done well and any mystery about why they are the way they are is got rid of.

Octy fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Mar 2, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Charlie Mopps posted:

I think the credits held up pretty well. It works for the show and still gives off the right vibe and mood. The low-res quality of it makes it even better for me. And i really like the zoom in on Mulder's FBI credentials with the cold metal of handcuffs beside it. Not sure why, but it just feels right i guess.

Yeah, I look the zoom in on the credentials, but I've never been a fan of the screaming face or the 'Government Denies Knowledge' screens.

God drat, William B. Davis has the sexiest voice/accent.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

And Tobin Bell in 'Brand X'.

Heh, 'Skinman'. I hope that comes up again.

EDIT - I love the way Krycek turns up in the weirdest places and escapes out of the most impossible situations. Just now, at the end of Season 7, he's turned up in a jail in Tunisia.

Octy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Mar 3, 2014

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Can someone explain to me the deal with the Alien Bounty Hunter? I don't know whether to spoil it, but we see Brian Thompson's character die at the start of season 8, and then it's revealed he was just one of many bounty hunters who all took the form of Brian Thompson (and who wouldn't?). Was this always part of the character's conceptual history that I missed when he first appeared in season 2 or thereabouts?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

joepinetree posted:

There were always many Brian Thompsons. Even the rebel aliens are supposed to be eyeless, noseless, mouthless Brian Thompsons.

There can never be enough Brian Thompsons.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The one good thing about Mulder being abducted is Doggett. My mum and I have built up a long list of fictional characters we'd like to have on our side in a tough situation and Doggett is pretty high on that list. God drat, that sounds nerdy, but I always liked his character. Just the everyday, ordinary man's kind of scepticism to Scully's new belief in all that paranormal stuff.

It does frustrate me, though, the way Scully now gets mad at people for not accepting all the things they've seen and trying to find rational, scientific explanations, when that was her character for seven seasons.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

'Medusa' is a good episode. It reminds me of early episodes like 'Ice'.

Also, do Assistant Directors of the FBI normally go out in the field investigating cases? I'm surprised no one has brought up the fact that Skinner must be doing no administrative work at all, rather he's spending all his time investigating cases which aren't even assigned to him. He'll never get to be Director like this.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Heh.

'Can I ask you something? When you went to Antarctica, to save Scully being taken by that spaceship, and you ran out of gas in your snowcab, how did you get back?'
*Scully and Mulder argue about it being a spaceship or not.*

'Alone' is another good episode from season 8. It's nice to see Mulder recognising Doggett as being a good agent.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Krycek!, no!

At least Adam Baldwin is still around.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

How many times have that been said on the show?

He truly is gone this time. Well, until he comes back as a ghost.

I'm going away with a friend next week and in between the beach and drinking I want to introduce her to the show. She has in fact watched one episode with another friend which I've managed to identify as 'Lazarus'. She found it predictable and not that enjoyable, which is about my memory of it too. I was thinking of lining up three episodes. One of them is definitely going to be 'Jose Chung's From Outer Space' and the second probably 'The Host' for a nice gross out episode, but I don't know about a third. I'd like to limit it to either the first three seasons or seasons 2 to 4, just so I'm not lugging around a bunch of DVD cases. Despite rewatching the show over the last two months my memory is terrible for which are good episodes.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

Assuming you're avoiding the mytharc type episodes, my choices would be any of

Season 1: Squeeze, Ice, or Darkness Falls
Season 2: Fresh Bones, Irresistible, Humbug
Season 3: Clyde Bruckman, The List, Pusher
Season 4: Leonard Betts, Small Potatoes

If I had to pick one I'd go with "Humbug", I think that was the first episode of the show I ever saw and it got me hooked.

Yeah, while those are good season 1 episodes, I'm cautious that it might be better to show the chemistry between Mulder and Scully which I also feel developed much more in season 2. 'Irresistible' is good, I can't believe I forgot it. Might go with that instead of 'The Host', and obviously 'Pusher'. I have the most terrible memory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

So my friend ended up enjoying the show. We watched 'The Host', 'D.P.O.', 'Pusher' and 'Jose Chung's From Outer Space'. Not enough to be an 'X-phile' as I asked her, but at least she didn't complain about its predictability.

I'm about 2/3rds of the way through season 9. I can't bring myself to finish it. It was funny seeing Burt Reynolds in 'Improbable', though.

• Locked thread