Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Cybershell posted:

It's kind of funny to me they actually bothered to change the opening sequence to include Skinner's badge when he's hardly even does anything in the episodes he is in. His appearances:

Episode 1: My Stuggle: "Welcome back, I'm Skinner, don't gently caress up."
Episode 5: Babylon: "I'm Skinner, and drat it Mulder you hosed up."
Episode 6: My Struggle II: "Find Agent Mulder. Because he's hosed up."

'Hold on, Agent Einstein, you're talking to a scientist!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Emetic Hustler posted:

Re-watched the mytharc episodes of the original series and it really fell apart towards the end. Was there a list of the good MOTW episodes per season on this thread or did I imagine it?

Yes, several. A new one is posted every time someone asks this question.

I'm not digging it up for you, though.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I've watched Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man half a dozen times because it's great, but I only just noticed that towards the end when CSM is picking up the magazine that contains his story, there's another publication titled End Credits with the feature 'Where the Hell is Darin Morgan'. :aaa:

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

WMain00 posted:

The entire series has been a disaster. It's been an actual real life scenario of why some favourite tv series should be just best left dead. The only one in the series who seemed to be at least trying to put some sort of heart into it was Gillian Anderson. Duchovny seemed to be sleepwalking through the entire thing, putting forward wild ideas completely irrelevant to the plot (I can only presume the magic mushroom thing was his idea). The ending was basically a gigantic poo poo. It didn't try to present itself as anything else, it just literally was poo poo, with Chris Carter presenting it proudly, as if he had made a work of art.

You're kidding right? Anderson was incredibly wooden throughout the show. So was Duchovny for a fair bit, but he at least seemed to enjoy himself in certain episodes. He also doesn't sound like he smokes a pack a day.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Oh man, it's still weird when they move to California and all of a sudden Mulder is wearing short sleeve shirts. I don't know how they could have done it, but I'd have appreciated an in-universe explanation as to why the landscape had suddenly changed from dark forest to blinding desert. I know I'm just sperging a bit but I could never get over such a glaring change.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, that's what I mean should have been the explanation, except Mulder has the same apartment and theres still all these visual references to the capital. Where's the realism in my sci fi show, Carter?!

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

The Dreamland two parter is the best part of season 6 for me. Michael McKean is such a good actor.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I assumed Mulder already had a waterbed. It just never saw any action.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

CSM had some good moments too.

Mulder: 'Interesting company you keep'
CSM: 'No more interesting than your apparent lingerie fetish'

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

That and Hell Money are the two episodes I've always refused to ever watch again. Plus that thing Gillian Anderson directed in season 7.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

Alex Trebek was just talking about his appearance on Jose Chung with one of the contestants on Jeopardy tonight who said her favorite show was The X-Files. I was glad that he has good memories of it.

But it wasn't Alex Trebek. It was just someone who looked remarkably like him.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Timby posted:

Scrubs seasons 6, 7 and 9, Seinfeld season 8, and you can throw a dart randomly and find a new low for The Simpsons.

You're kidding me? Season 8 of Seinfeld was great. Now season 9 is a different story...

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Ignis posted:

so basically the same as last season but better, then

I can live with that

I was prepared for the whole season to suck besides one or two MotW episodes. Better to go in with very low expectations.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

mastershakeman posted:

Last year I watched seasons 1-6 and kind of lost interest, then finished 7-9 just now. Holy moly the 9th season was rough to slog through, I was completely checked out for most of it (so was everyone else but Robert Patrick, to be fair). I can't believe they thought an hour long trial that consisted of thrown together clips with narration was the best way to end things

Honestly, I can't think of many TV shows that have a half-decent finale. The X-Files one was certainly forgettable, and as much I love Doggett, I could have done without seasons 8-9.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

I’m in the minority but I thought the ending of LOST was perfect.

I don't think it was perfect, but it was satisfying and moving and probably the best we were ever going to get.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, that was very underwhelming.

J33uk posted:

Given the big rear end scar he had on one side I'm guessing it was a face transplant. Or alien science.

Chris Carter on Reddit posted:

The Cigarette Smoking Man has access to science that saved his life and removed much of his scarring. Similarly, Jeffrey Spender has, in my imagination, undergone reconstructive surgery and may have had access to his own secret science.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I hope not. I can't think of an episode where bringing back the MotW actually worked well, except maybe 'Tooms'.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, I actually quite liked that episode, but I'm not sure if the concept ever came up again.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I think it was implied (or speculated by Mulder) in the show that radiation from Chernobyl had created it.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress it’s just so bad. And I guess Scully was sick for most scenes with her raspy throat.

poo poo is being phoned in hard.

She sounded like that last season. I just assume Gillian Anderson is now smoking a pack a day.

I liked it. Fairly ordinary, but it introduced some interesting concepts.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I liked it. It felt more like classic X-Files than most of last season. If it was a Black Mirror episode it would've ended with a twist revealing that Mulder was a pedophile all along, Scully had actually murdered William in his crib, and The X-Files were all just a simulation created by CSM using VR tech that attaches to your temples and plays Irma Thomas songs on repeat.

Now that I can believe being used as an actual storyline.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

GutBomb posted:

I have been grateful that since the first episode there hasn't been a mention of William. Now that I've said that the rest of the season it's sure to be all about that plotline.

I think the upcoming episode is about him, or at least partly.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

I have no idea what was going on in that episode but it was neat to see Dr Chang.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I liked the episode, but it seemed like the writer was trying really hard to make social commentary by comparing the Salem witch trials and McCarthyism to the #MeToo movement, and it felt kinda icky and forced.

Huh, I didn't read that at all.

Anyway, last two episodes have been solid compared to the rest of the season. I always enjoyed the small town mysteries in the original run.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I mean yeah, so far that's exactly what this season has been like. They're really loving heavy handed with the social commentary. It's been a while since I watched the original series, was it always this forced and eye-roll-worthy?

Not as forced as the Donald Trump thing, but there was plenty of social commentary in the original series; it was just more broadly about the evil stuff governments get up to in real life and not specifically calling out Presidents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Well, it doesn't change much. Anything after season 7 isn't canon.

• Locked thread