Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Outside of the overall myth-arc story being stupid, do the actual myth-arc episodes get bad at some point? I'm trying to justify abandoning the mythology since I know it leads nowhere good, but it's still pretty good so far (I just started S4).

Oh Brian Thompson... He possibly has the greatest 'natural talent' for playing an evil badass ever:

by that I mean he has the giantest mouth

I love how the shapeshifters can magically heal bullet wounds and severe brain damage in humans, but if they get stung by bees they will have those scars for a month :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
He's one of the main bad dudes in the JCVD flick Lionheart. Unfortunately I don't remember him fighting anyone.

Oh, and the early Fox show Werewolf, which I've heard about but I'm not sure I've ever seen. Judging from this picture, I wish I did:

david_a fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 31, 2014

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Man, I don't remember Agent Pendrell (the lab tech with the hots for Scully) from when I watched this show on the air at all... Just watched S4E3 'Teliko':

Mulder: Scully's not coming. She's got a date...
Pendrell: :(
Mulder: ... with a corpse
Pendrell: :hawaaaafap:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Octy posted:

Poor CSM. He's killed two of the most influential men in history and he can rig Superbowl games, but he can't control the publication of his own novel. :(

'I can kill you whenever I like... but not today'.
Ha... I dug up the thread because I just watched Musings of a Cigarette Smoking Man. Awesome episode.

Why does everyone call him "Cigarette Smoking Man" anyway? Mulder always calls him Cancer Man which is way cooler. :colbert:

Maybe I'm dense, but why did he start smoking in the first place? Is it just a way of showing that he has zero optimism for the future?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
He first lit up at the movie theater when Oswald got nabbed. He kicks it for a while with that nicotine patch but starts again when he forces Deep Throat to off the alien. My question was more about what the smoking represents for the character. The only thing I can come up with that it shows his general dejectedness and utter lack of hope in the future - the dude literally killed the American dream with JFK and MLK, after all. I was wondering if anybody else had thoughts on it.

I'm not sure I get his statement to Deep Throat either: "I've never killed anybody. I hope to live my entire life without having to do so." I don't know if they were trying to show his way of coping with his actions or what; that all his assassinations were done by The Powers That Be and he was just a cog in the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Drifter posted:

So I'm thinking for me (for ME) the best way to do with X-Files these days is to just remember the fun I had watching it as a kid. I tried to watch most of the first season recently and it wasn't bad, but it certainly wasn't gripping or compellingly acted compared to the few shows I currently watch.

What I may end up doing is just reading a summary of each episode to get the general gist of things, because I do think they put out some rather cool and unique monster of the week ideas for 8 seasons, as well as having a kinda cool mythology. I just can't be arsed to spend an hour watching each episode.

I hear you. Watching 9 full seasons of a show is a massive commitment, and if you're not wild about it, why are you wasting your time with it? I'll probably do something similar once the show moves from Vancouver. All told it will still probably be two years total before I'm done with this show.

• Locked thread