Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Octy posted:

Oh no! John Neville aka The Well-Manicured Man is dead. I was really liking his character so far.

Oh no!

I liked the nomenclature for all the members of the Syndicate, it sorta helped "sell" that these men are members of such a deep conspiracy--the archetypal Men in Black G-Men spooks--that these basic, pretty banal identifying features like whether they smoke or what haircut they have or the state of their fingernails become their "names".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I'm listening to an old compilation album of music cues from the first three or so seasons (the album is "The Truth and the Light: Music from The X-Files" and splices a lot of dialogue from the show into the music, which makes for a good atmosphere but can be annoying if you just want the music) and it's reminding me of how The X-Files had hands down one of the best and most interesting soundtracks I've ever heard in a TV show, especially one from the 90s.

At the same time that Brannon Braga and Rick Berman were telling the composers for Star Trek TNG, DS9, and Voyager that their compositions had to be as interesting and memorable as "aural wallpaper", here was Mark Snow crafting these dark, moody, gorgeous, incredibly striking sonic atmospheres, and I think Snow's work was instrumental in getting that "X-Files" aesthetic we all know and love.

I'm disappointed I missed out on the huge limited edition X-Files compilation album La La Land Records was selling a while ago. Hopefully one of these days I'll be able to get the second volume before it goes out of print too.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

bobkatt013 posted:

I also agree that the show needed more Well-Manicured Man

As do I.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

haveblue posted:

No, the worst episode is the one with the Indian mystic who crawls up people's asses and rides around in them.

Back when I was in middle school I caught that episode on SyFy (or was it still the Sci-Fi Channel at that point?) and my older sister sat down and watched it with me.

She spent the next few days teasing me about how bad that episode was.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

All this worst episode chat and no one mentions the mummy urn that summons swarms of house cats? Or the Stephen King Chuckie knockoff? Or the one where the two Kathy Griffins cause fights everytime they get near each other?

First Person Shooter is shameful though.

I actually like a lot of the late season MotW episodes, although I'm pretty easily entertained. Like I always liked that one with Doggett in the Boston subway system, even if it was a little bit of a rehash of Darkness Falls.

I didn't mind the Stephen King episode all that much the last time I watched it. That's the one where Scully's all on her own and when she comes back to the office all Mulder's been doing while she's been gone is throw pencils at the ceiling, right?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Mulder's office still has a bunch of pencils stuck in the ceiling!

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The next episode's a MOTW one, right?

foobardog posted:

OK, I'll watch this. This is going to be a stupid silly ride, but it seems fun.

Hmmm. Are they going to use this updated theme?

AFAIK they're sticking with the original theme song and credits through the whole run.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

McSpanky posted:

I hope not because GMOs have been a thing for like 20 years, if the original X-Files run lasted much longer they probably would've done an episode about alien hybrid corn or something.

Wasn't that a subplot in the first movie?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The X-files was one of the first shows to have a (relatively) massive online fandom, considering the size and scope of the internet at the time.

• Locked thread