Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

joepinetree posted:

I may forgotten a few, but going through the list of episodes, here's the funny, or at least lighthearted, ones:
"Humbug"
"Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose"
"War of the Coprophages"
"Jose Chung's From Outer Space"
"Small Potatoes"
"The Post-Modern Prometheus"
"Bad Blood"
"Arcadia"
Dreamland 1 and 2
"The Unnatural"
"The Goldberg Variation"
"The Amazing Maleeni"
"X-Cops"
"Hollywood A.D."
"Je Souhaite"

I'd add "Triangle", "Monday" and "The Rain King" to that list as well, but it looks pretty complete to me from what I've watched. I've been working my way through the whole series for the last few months. I already know the show ends with a lot of loose ends since I saw the finale when it aired, but watching almost everything else for the first time has still been a pretty great experience. I just finished season 7 and the show definitely starts to decline in quality. I know people bag on "all things" and "First Person Shooter" but I think "Fight Club" takes the cake for worst X-Files episode (until something in the last two seasons changes my opinion). As far as favorites go I'm surprised nobody mentioned "The Pine Bluff Variant," where Mulder goes undercover with a domestic terrorist group.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It really depends on the writer, but overall Scully is noticeably more open to Mulder's theories from season 5 onward.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I think the majority of season 6 is still pretty strong. The Beginning is a pretty weak opener compared to season 4 and 5, but the only episode that stood out to me as terrible as I was watching it was "Alpha".

I just wrapped season 8 and that was pretty dire despite the efforts of everyone involved. I don't have a problem with Doggett and Reyes themselves, but the monster of the week stuff has been mostly bland ("Patience", "Surekill" and "Badlaa" standing out as real shitpiles) and the mythology is getting really silly with super soldiers and Scully's Jesus baby.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's been a few months, but didn't they kind of explain it in season 5? It always seemed like they were able to silence everyone involved, so unless you were a crackpot like Mulder you wouldn't believe it because there was no hard evidence. They set up the fake alien corpse in the Antarctic to goad Mulder into going public with his findings to completely discredit him, whereas before he just kept it to himself and a few like-minded others.

Decided that I might as well jump into season 9 head-first. I'm 4 episodes in and so far it's not too bad but Mulder's absence is very noticeable after his really short return at the end of season 8. I liked the opening two-parter, but "Daemonicus" was pretty by-the-numbers while "4-D" was good - it reminded me of "Dreamland" a bit minus any of the funny parts. It could turn around for the worse though; I thought season 8 started strong too before it ran into a string of lovely/mediocre monster episodes.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The Unnatural is an amazing episode. Duchovny's second writing credit, Hollywood AD, is one of the few highlights of season 7 as well.

I decided to marathon the rest of the show yesterday. Season 9 wasn't as bad as I was expecting. It wasn't turned around entirely, but none of the episodes felt like a chore to watch. Bringing back the comedic episodes was a good move - I really liked "Improbable" and "Sunshine Days" - but the mytharc is toast at this point. Aside from the fact that it's so convoluted by the end, I think part of that is also because it's mostly Mulder's fight and he's gone for the entire season except the finale.

I think 7 or 8 is a stronger contender for weakest season, but I don't really regret watching any of the last 3. I can definitely see how this opinion would be different if I had been watching as it aired.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'd give the edge to season 7 for having X-Cops and Hollywood AD and still having Mulder and Scully together, although the formula was getting stale by that point. The back half of season 8 is much better than the first, but that was seriously when I wanted to stop my marathon of the show because the first half was just so uninteresting.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Octy posted:

Hey, that is Scott Wilson in 'Orison'. I don't remember how this episode ends, but I hope it's better than the sequel to 'Pusher'.

The "reveal" in Orison is really terrible and the episode in general is one of the shittier ones.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The movie was an attempt to clean up the arc and shoot the show in a new(ish) direction, right? I just started season 6 last night, and even though the Syndicate and Gibson and (I'm assuming) Crycek are all still there, the new mythology bits the 6 premiere adds don't feel like more poo poo on the pile. It feels streamlined. I'm also not immediately hating the change of scenery, possibly because these are the episodes I consistently followed as a kid. The Mulder/Scully dynamic is aces right now too. I'm sure later episodes will ruin this once they get together.

Drive was pretty good though.

The arc is wrapped up midway through season 6 and new stuff comes up at the end of season 8 but until then it's pretty directionless.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Pusher should be the third.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Slate Action posted:

I actually don't mind Season 7 overall. Their basic attitude seemed to be 'well if the show is going to become a grotesque parody of itself, we might as well have some fun with it.'

This was one of my problems with season 8. Going with Mulder being written out of the show it just gets more grim and serious, with a bigger focus on the mythology, which has turned to poo poo by this point. IIRC there aren't any more goofy parody/monster of the week episodes at all until season 9.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The videogame episode is hilarious in its badness. The real worst episode is the one starring Kathy Griffin.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

pahuyuth posted:

I never knew this existed, but has anyone read the Season 10 comics? Apparently it picks it up after the events of the second feature film. Is it worth picking up?

Yeah, I've been keeping up with it and it's been alright. I don't know how much involvement Chris Carter had besides putting his name on it, but it's not entirely awful as an official fan-fiction continuation from the show. I actually wonder if they'll use any of the material from the comics, since those already went out of the way to re-establish Mulder and Scully at the FBI and another alien conspiracy.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Exploder posted:

Awesome. Out of curiosity, did they give an explanation for either of them?

The FBI faked the Lone Gunmen's deaths and put them in witness protection. CSM, and all the other co-conspirators are now alien hybrid clones that have been brought back to life to continue the conspiracy. Also they brought Krycek back - he keeps showing up alive because he's stuck in a time loop after merging with the alien while trapped in the missile silo that one time.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I really hope they use the comics material because, aside from doing all the setup work already, the last issue just revealed the main villain. It's a grown up Gibson Praise. It's not to say I don't want to see what the old writers have in store after taking a decade break but if they're really going to continue the threads of season 8 and 9 I don't have high hopes.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Apr 5, 2015

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

His first absence was written as he was abducted by aliens and it kind of works. The second time when Duchovny quit the show basically for good he goes into hiding but leaves behind Scully and his kid and it makes no sense.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Is Dreamland a mytharc episode? That was pretty good too.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm also a pretty big fan of the Burt Reynolds as God episode that's also from season 9. The name of it escapes me at the moment.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That was definitely some late era X-Files mythology. Kind of disappointed that they recycled the season 5 opener again. It was good the first time I watched it; wasn't too hot about watching it again.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Does anyone remember the episode where monster is a vengeful man who can crawl up people's butts? That one was really loving bad.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

That's probably a good thing because the only good follow up was Tooms.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

What the hell is this narration?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

All of the Chris Carter episodes feel like first drafts. Like they were half-assed assignments written the night before they were due. I'm just completely bewildered by this final episode and I'm not sure I want more if he's still going to be in charge.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

John Doe is considered MOTW, isn't it? It's a really good Doggett-focused episode.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

We found the one person who hated the Darin Morgan episode but loved the turd that was the new mytharc.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

My Struggle makes me long for the days of the Super Soldiers.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I got a few episodes past "Monday" and have been on a break since. Something definitely falls off after the Syndicate gets killed. I don't know. I'll get back into it soon, I'm sure. It's just a way more noticeable drop than I remembered.

Edit: Oh God I didn't mean to begin a page on a negative note.

The show starts to get way more experimental in season 7 (sometimes to its detriment) but you get good stuff like X-COPS. Hell, you still have a lot of really good episodes in the back half of season 6, and I actually like the three parter that is the season 6 finale/season 7 opener.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Season 10's mytharc was worse than the wheel spinning that was season 9. Season 8 was still sort of entertaining even though it was reaching the point of total nonsense.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm not sure having more episodes per season will help Chris Carter become a better writer.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

You should at least watch Two Fathers/One Son to wrap up the main mythology arc.

Any mytharc after that is the show largely spinning its wheels. e: there's a few good ones but most of it is poo poo.

For season 7: X-Cops, Theef, En Ami, Brand X, Hollywood A.D., Je Souhaite, Requiem. Requiem was originally written as a series finale and is pretty good.

For season 8: Redrum, Medusa, Vienen. Vienen is largely treading water when they bring back the black oil but it's better than most of season 8's attempt at a mytharc.

For season 9: John Doe, Audrey Pauley, Improbable, Scary Monsters, Sunshine Days.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Mar 26, 2017

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

At first I was sad that Robert Patrick wasn't able to come back for season 10 but thank god he didn't for that travesty.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's too bad they couldn't somehow get back Frank Spotnitz. Chris Carter being back gives me zero hope for this season.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

remusclaw posted:

Yeah. Turns out that the entire first nine seasons worth of mythology episodes were a cover-up to hide the real plot. So season 10 was already a massive cop out of a cliffhanger resolution.

The sad part is that it's already a retread of a story they did ages ago and better. Redux is a way better mythology 2 parter than My Struggle.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Season 7's finale works as a series finale tbh.

I'm pretty sure it was written as a potential series finale too.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Oh good it's not just me. Also the show very clumsily retconned most of the original series' mytharc so I am pretty okay with Chris Carter pulling out the ultimate hack writer tool and saying last season was a dream.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

I barely remember the shitshow of last season, but didn't they try spinning it last season that there weren't even loving any real aliens or something and it was all just another layer of obfuscation by the ~real~ conspiracy?

Yes, and this episode walks a good chunk of that stuff back.

Honestly, I can see the strands of a decent mytharc story here - it's a lot of recycled plot threads from past seasons though - but it's written and edited so poorly and feels like a 2 parter condensed into a single episode. There are so many needless monologues, and I could feel David Duchovny increasingly not giving a poo poo each time he had to deliver one.

The fact that it retcons season 10 kept me on board until loving alien science happened.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

None of the characters actually met the Smoking Man in season 10 until that finale though, right? And that didn't actually happen.

Still disappointed in Reyes' heel turn being actually real.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

mastershakeman posted:

Season 8 is actually better than a lot of 7, I thought. It's only 9 that really gets bad

My recollection is that the mytharc in 8 was actually more interesting than 7 because the super soldier stuff at least felt like they were building towards something, rather than the puttering around nonsense of 7 after they wrapped up the original Syndicate storyline in 6. I do not remember enjoying any MOTW in season 8 but 7 has some great ones like Je Souhaite, Brand X and Hollywood AD.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

This would have been the perfect series finale.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

It's a fine movie. Basically a bigger budget mytharc episode, back when the mytharc wasn't complete garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Babylon is pretty loving bad I can't believe none of y'all mentioned it.

• Locked thread