Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

strangeneighbor posted:

"Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster" Darin Morgan, motw

Oh my god, if this is a real episode title :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Yeah, it really can't be overstated how happy these two tweets in a row made me:

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jul 19, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

:allears:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I Want to Bowlieve

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'm just so happy right now.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Exploder posted:

Was that a Roswell flashback I saw? Holy poo poo I am so excited for this. CSM retcon (or whatever crazy explanation they give for his survival/resurrection), this looks amazing.

He had to stay alive to make sure the Bills never win the superbowl.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
So, uh

https://www.foxconnect.com/x-files-collector-s-box-set.html

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

sticklefifer posted:

Does it include the movies?

I'm not sure, but you can get both movies for $10:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-X-Files-Fight-the-Future-and-I-Want-to-Believe-Blu-ray/57476/

e: have a better look at the box art:

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Oct 6, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

The Hollywood Reporter posted:

Cynical industry journalists turned into gawking fanboys at the MIPCOM television trade fair on Tuesday night when Fox screened — in its world premiere — the first episode of the hotly anticipated return of The X-Files.

X-Files creator Chris Carter attended the launch, held in Cannes, France, and said that returning to the show, which went off the air in 2002, felt “surreal.” He added that it was “a dream come true” to bring back FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully, played by original stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson.

The audience packed into Cannes' Grand Auditorium broke out in spontaneous applause multiple times — including when Duchovny and Anderson first appeared — and the crowd whooped and cheered as the closing credits rolled. But perhaps the biggest applause came earlier, when the opening credits — with The X-Files' trademark intro music — hit the screen.

In a treat for X-Files' traditionalists, Carter has kept the series' original opening credits exactly as they were when the show first aired back in 1993.

“We thought about doing some changes to the original credits, but then it seemed like like sacrilege,” said Carter. “Those credits were on 202 episodes. They belong on these next six.”

:allears:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The first movie is basically a long, pretty good arc episode. The second movie is basically a long, pretty bad MOTW episode.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Hakkesshu posted:

I haven't really been keeping up with this new series, but why is it only six episodes? Are they just testing the waters? Do Duchovny/Anderson not wanna commit to more?

Doing only six is cheaper, easier to sell to the network, easier to get the cast on board despite their busy schedules, etc. Plus they want to try to keep the quality of the episodes consistently high, something the show frequently struggled with in its original run.

Carter has said they'll never go back to the 20+ episodes/season format; if they do any more of the show after this they will continue to use the miniseries style.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Oct 7, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Honestly, you could just stick with season 1 and show them Squeeze. If I was introducing the show to someone (and I have before) I would just show them the first three episodes in order, and maybe also Conduit since it explain's Mulder's whole deal so well.

If I'm recommending the show to people, I feel like I'm also recommending the process of watching the show evolve over time. So showing them the first couple episodes of the whole show and then a hand-picked one from a later season wouldn't fit into that. But that's just a personal perspective, you should show them whatever you think they would like the most.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Oct 9, 2015

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
By season 9 even the writers seemed to hate the show and want it to end. I would not be surprised to see the new season ignore or retcon it completely, and probably some of the stuff from seasons 7-8 as well.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The X-Files is now out on Blu-Ray. And I have a copy.

I am a happy person.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The Pilot episode looks sooooo good in HD, holy poo poo.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
If the new season is good and successfully 'rights the ship' it will make up for so many of the show's latter-day fuckups, plus maybe bring in a bunch of new people to watching the series.

I really hope it's good.

Slate Action fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 3, 2016

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Your weekly reminder that Kumail Nanjiani is the man.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Can of Cloud posted:

Sorry if it has already been discussed, but are they planning on having more than just 6 episodes in the future? Or is this like "24" - a comeback for just one mini season?

From what I've heard, if the new mini-season does well, there's a chance we could get further mini-seasons in the future.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
The X-Files only got greenlit in the first place because Fox was an extremely desperate TV network in 1993. So it's fitting that it now comes back out of another sort of desperation, the desire to not have to take jobs like...

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
To add some more context, despite there being so few TV networks at the time, in its debut season The X-Files was the 111th (yes, that's one hundred and eleventh) most-watched show on TV.

Fox renewed it anyway, because they were still desperate.

Also I have not actually seen Robot Overlords, but it is a movie that came out in 2014 and has Ben Kingsley in it. It's probably bad.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
You can watch the first minute of the new season here.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Kumail Nanjiani interviewed Duchovny and Anderson on the set of the show:

http://www.feralaudio.com/55-kumail-talks-to-david-duchovny-and-gillian-anderson-on-the-set-of-the-x-files/

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
A lot of the reviews complain about Carter's tendency to write indecipherable mystery plots and long rambling speeches, both of which I actually find endearing. But we'll see!

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
From what I've heard the season ends on a cliffhanger, so yeah basically Chris Carter will never learn his lesson.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Neo Rasa posted:

I see a Variety article about this but no actual links or information on Fox's site or anywhere, where is this?

Variety posted:

Viewers who turn to Fox.com to sample the episodes starting January 25 will be able to do so largely commercial-free – if they agree to view a 60-second pitch for the coming super-hero movie “Deadpool” in advance of their screenings

Emphasis mine.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Are the using the old intro or did they refilm it/cut something new together?

It's the classic intro. Tonight we gonna party like it's 1993

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

JetsGuy posted:

Plot twist: this game was actually the X files premiere

Cam Newton is a hybrid

Except instead of green, he bleeds blue

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJRKedSUHg4

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Quiet Feet posted:

I've never posted in TV IV before, does somebody post gifs of boobs any time something cool happens?

Hold on, I have something for this

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

PBS Newshour posted:

The Football Field Where I Died.

Home Field Advantage

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Mulder getting suckered by not-Alex Jones makes total sense.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
I'm going to guess that the Tad O'Malley conspiracy is fake and the takedown of his show was to make it seem plausible? But then why did they blow up the ARV and why did CSM seem perturbed at the end. Hmmmmmmm.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
By the way, the punchline to all this is Chris Carter setting up a cliffhanger at the end of the miniseries and then the show doesn't get renewed.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

The x files to me was always great because of the methodical presentation of evidence in such a way that it could intrigue even people who roll their eyes at every conspiracy theory. This was rapid fire answers and questions being asked point blank by characters, not presented by events. This episode tried to do too much, but gently caress it, I'm watching the rest.

It was always a hallmark of Chris Carter episodes that he would try to combine like three episodes of ideas into one episode, and it's amusing to see that he hasn't gotten even slightly better at avoiding that.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

MisterBibs posted:

A cursory Google search brought me to 'FoxNow" on the Fox website. It currently only has some 20min teaser thing on it; are they going to put up these episodes as they go?

Each episode should show up on FoxNow the day after it airs.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
Didn't Dean Haglund confirm the Lone Gunmen were going to make an appearance in the new season? Or is that another conspiracy?

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

PBS Newshour posted:

I wonder how big of a role Skinner is going to get in these next episodes. Even if its not much its really nice seeing him in the opening though.

Seeing Skinner get to be Angry Dad again makes it all worth it.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Philthy posted:

Yeah, I thought they didn't mention it was Roswell. The ship looked fake as hell, too. But I couldn't tell if it was bad CGI or if they were purposely trying to throw out some clues. Then they gunned the alien down in front of the medic for no reason. But then they show the medic was carrying the dead alien around, so he would have known it was a fake. It felt like it was entirely staged just for that medic, but who knows why.

It was all to confuse Mulder. The conspiracy against Mulder started before he was even born.

• Locked thread