Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I think the alien conspiracy was pretty well explained and tied up by the end of the show, its just the Mulder's missing sister part of it that muddied the waters and made things extra confusing. CSM and the Syndicate made a deal with the aliens back in the 50's that they'd help them invade in return for not being completely wiped out, but they secretly engineered the black-oil as an attempt to fight back against them. There was a second race of aliens that sought to stop/kill the original aliens, and the Syndicate gets wrapped up in all that too but in the end they gently caress up and all get killed. So that to me was relatively simple and pretty clearly explained by the end of the series. Mulder's sister on the other hand...

They really hosed up in my opinion with that 2-part episode where Mulder thinks some random child murder killed his sister. Then they had another plot later on showing that his sister lived with CSM and his son in some neighborhood. They were being protected or something so the aliens couldn't take them and experiment on them. All of this stuff was just unnecessary to me when they should have just stuck with the simple idea that she was taken by the aliens as part of the original deal(That may even be what "really happened", but with all of the flip-flopping they did on the issue I can't remember).

That is not quite it. The black oil was supposed to be the aliens. The black oil "alien" had very inconsistent characteristics, but they were the original invading aliens. They would infect the "greys" (the traditional looking aliens) and the bounty hunters (the Brian Thompson clones). There were the alien rebels who essentially were Brian Thompson after permanently shutting down their own eyes and mouths. There were some inconsistencies in how it was all treated: the black oil originally would infect and then leave people. By the end of season 5/1st movie, the deal was on finding a way to spread the black oil, as humans infected with the black oil would serve as hosts for creating more greys. After that, (and sometimes before it also) the claim was that it was about creating human/alien hybrids, as opposed to humans as hosts. Still, by the end of season 7 there was a pretty clear explanation, even if sometimes heavily retconned. The problem starts with season 8, when there is no conspiracy anymore.

At that point things go off the rails completely:
- There are super soldiers who have been infiltrated as a sort of plan B by the aliens. These are indestructible, and even if killed can reconstruct themselves from a single vertebrae. They only die if exposed to a very particular mineral.
- At first, these super soldiers want to do something with the water, but the plot is dropped when Lucy Lawless' character never shows up again.
- Then comes the most pants on head part of the series: apparently the super soldiers are on earth to either kill Mulder and Scully's son, or to kill Mulder. Because there is a prophecy that William (Mulder and Scully's son) will lead the alien invasion of earth if Mulder is dead, but will fight alongside Mulder against it if Mulder is alive. So they inject William with the mistery mineral above and he may be "cured." But the supersoldiers still alternatively chase Mulder or William.

TLDR: the mythology makes some sense up to the end of season 7. After that, not so much.

As for the sister stuff, she wasn't being protected by the CSM, she was being experimented upon, ran away, and became starlight or something to avoid the experiments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

Wasn't there a plot by the Syndicate to turn the black-oil against the aliens though? Or at least they were doing tests on it to try to find a cure weren't they? I do remember now that they didn't invent it or discover it on their own, but I thought by the time the show started they were already working with it in secret.

I never understood the black oil to be actually sentient, or an alien organism of its own, I thought it was a bio-weapon. I always assumed there was a main force of antagonistic aliens that we never actually see, at least not clearly. They would be the ones invading. I guess all of this disproves my original point though, it wasn't nearly as clear-cut as I was thinking it was.

They were working on a vaccine to the black oil, which was developed by the Russians. As I said, the black oil is fairly inconsistent. It starts out as a sentient being which infects one person at a time and takes over that person. The first few times it shows up it controls a number of people until it can make its way to its spaceship. Then, around the time of the 1st movie, it becomes non-sentient genetic material used to infect people, who will then spawn aliens. Then, in seasons 6 and 7 the black oil is part of the experiments to create a human/alien hybrid, able to infect people and take over their actions. The rebels that kill the syndicate are specifically mentioned to shut down their eyes and mouth to prevent being infected and controlled by the black oil.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

So what was the original deal that the Syndicate made and who did they make it with? They met with grey aliens that were infected by the black oil, so they weren't really greys anymore? I'm getting closer and closer to a re-watch here!

Originally there was no syndicate. Originally there was no colonization, just the US government hiding alien existence and their presence on earth. The syndicate as a thing only starts around late season 2/ early 3. At about that point the black oil makes its first appearance as a sentient being that jumps from people to people. But again, at this point it is mostly about hiding alien existence and experiments. It is only a little later that colonization became a thing on the series. At that point, the black oil was supposed to be a substance that transformed humans into the hosts for the "greys." This is particularly the case around the time of the first movie. At that point, the syndicate is the revealed to be playing a double game: on one hand they have a deal with unspecified aliens to on one hand develop a system to spread the black oil and transform people into hosts for the aliens while at the same time working to develop a vaccine to the black oil. A bit after that it switches again, though the double game is still prevalent: the black oil is to help create a human/alien hybrid that will be sort of the slaves in the colonization by an unseen alien race. At this point, the syndicate is on one hand trying to create a hybrid with the black oil while still trying to create a vaccine to the black oil. Then the syndicate arch wraps up when a rebel alien race that are like the bounty hunters but have cut out their eyes and mouths to be invulnerable to the black oil come and kill the syndicate.

Seasons 1-7 have quite a few inconsistencies, but they are mostly the kind of stuff that would bug you if you really cared about the details. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter for the story if the black oil IS the alien, if it creates aliens, or if it helps create hybrids. By the end of season 7, the mythology is pretty much wrapped up, most loose ends are tied, etc. But then all new fox dramas bombed, and they decided to get another season. Duchovny left and the "mythology" becomes pretty much nonsense. Same thing at the end of season 8: fox dramas bombed, they decided to extend the series again.

By that point, they had burned that poo poo to the ground. Only reason the second movie was even made was because they already had the script and the WGA strike was looming, so they produced everything that they could. The funny thing is that I loved the x files, and by coincidence later found out that Chris Carter was pretty good friends with my advisor's wife, and she said that he has always been obsessed with aliens, new agey stuff and so on.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I generally watch the mytharc episodes until the end of season 7, and then skip them in 8 and 9 (though, to be fair, I skip most of 8 and 9). Monica Reyes is the worst character in the series, and by then they had decided to use every single Duchovny scene they had to tease shippers. Hell, there is an episode where Duchovny is simply there in flash backs retconning him and scully deciding to have a kid together.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My favorite serious non-mytharc episodes are Home, Drive, Pusher, Milagro and Hungry. And my favorite "funny" non-mytharc episodes are Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose, Jose Chung's From Outer Space, Small Potatoes, Bad Blood, and Je Souhaite. Just thought I'd post this in case other people are looking for more stuff to get started (and in looking up the name of the episodes, I just noticed that Vince Gilligan wrote most of them).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Octy posted:

Monica Reyes? Who? I remember being scared by the TV show when it was on during the 90s so I didn't watch it until 2007-8. Even so, I don't remember who Monica Reyes is and I really didn't mind the Doggett era episodes up to a point, that being season 9 which I refuse to acknowledge exists.

Monica Reyes is in season 8 as well. Essentially she was supposed to be the "believer" to Doggett's skeptic once Duchovny left. Except that while Mulder was all about aliens, Reyes was all about new agey crap.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Home is probably the best known x files episode, if for no other reason than the fact that it was the one episode that Fox never rebroadcast again. At a time without online streaming and all of that, word of mouth about it made people very curious.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
That is certainly one way to try to interpret the story. The thing is that we are shown a bunch of contradictory stuff. Compare the black oil in Piper Maru (sentient being that infects one person at a time and jumps from one person to the next), Tunguska (black oil as part of experiments to create a hybrid) and the 1st movie (black oil as something that infects people and turns them into hosts). There is no real way to make it all fit, so pretty much the basic idea is to accept that for seasons 1-7, the syndicate is essentially playing a double game of trying to pretend to collaborate with the aliens while trying to come up with a way to prevent the invasion.

Even then things are not entirely coherent. It makes no sense that the syndicate feels compelled to help create a process to spread the black oil/create hybrids while also trying to covertly create a vaccine to it. Either the aliens really need the help spreading the black oil, in which case not agreeing to it would be enough to stop them, or they are so powerful that having a vaccine to the black oil wouldn't matter. This is all a longwinded way of saying none of it makes much sense one way or the other. As I said, your interpretation is as good as any, but it is really not worth thinking about it too much, as there is no satisfactory solution.

And one minor correction: the rebel alien race is actually identified - they are shape shifters like the bounty hunters, except that they've sealed their eyes, nose and mouth shut to prevent infection with the black oil.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Chinga was pretty bad, and was written by Stephen King.

Of the underrated ones, I think Je Souhaite is pretty underrated. It frequently gets grouped up with some of the sillier season 7 episodes, but it has a fantastic premise. The idea of a genie who decides to be an rear end in a top hat to people by being extra literal with wishes is fantastic.

Edit: beaten.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Wizchine posted:

I watched the show off and on in the first season, but The Host from the start of season 2 is what got me hooked. The ending shot was just perfectly creepy.

I never cared much for the arc shows - that poo poo was confusing and never made much sense. I think they made a major mistake by making the 1st movie part of the arc, instead of a standalone monster of the week. If they had done a MotW movie, it would have been much more successful, and the X-Files would have spawned a string of movies after the TV run was done, much like Star Trek.

The 1st movie provided enough of a set up that someone without a full understanding of the mytharc could still enjoy. And it did well enough in the box office that it could have launched a movie series. In fact, the plan was pretty much to end the show after season 7 and continue in a series of movies. But then pretty much ALL fox dramas bombed and fox owned the rights, so they kept going with seasons 8 and 9. By the end of season 9 not only had the viewership fallen dramatically from the end of season 7, but Chris Carter also sued Fox for residuals and so on. They already had the second movie written, but lawsuit essentially put it on hold for some 5 years. So the plan was to do like star trek, but Fox's failures and Carter's lawsuit stopped them. And then the fiasco of the second movie ended whatever hope of a film series.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
I may forgotten a few, but going through the list of episodes, here's the funny, or at least lighthearted, ones:
"Humbug"
"Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose"
"War of the Coprophages"
"Jose Chung's From Outer Space"
"Small Potatoes"
"The Post-Modern Prometheus"
"Bad Blood"
"Arcadia"
Dreamland 1 and 2
"The Unnatural"
"The Goldberg Variation"
"The Amazing Maleeni"
"X-Cops"
"Hollywood A.D."
"Je Souhaite"

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jan 25, 2014

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

colonel_korn posted:

Don't forget Humbug (Season 2). I'm pretty sure that was the first episode I ever saw.

e: that got edited in after I posted :colbert:

I had forgotten humbug and arcadia.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

I'd add "Triangle", "Monday" and "The Rain King" to that list as well, but it looks pretty complete to me from what I've watched. I've been working my way through the whole series for the last few months. I already know the show ends with a lot of loose ends since I saw the finale when it aired, but watching almost everything else for the first time has still been a pretty great experience. I just finished season 7 and the show definitely starts to decline in quality. I know people bag on "all things" and "First Person Shooter" but I think "Fight Club" takes the cake for worst X-Files episode (until something in the last two seasons changes my opinion). As far as favorites go I'm surprised nobody mentioned "The Pine Bluff Variant," where Mulder goes undercover with a domestic terrorist group.

Trust no 1 is by far the worst episode of the series, in my opinion. It is a fairly boring and nonsensical story, but what pushes it over the edge is that it is essentially is set up for Scully to lament how she misses Mulder, while trying to get people to watch by suggesting that maybe Duchovny would appear. Not to mention the latest idea in the mess that was the mytharc: magnetite!

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
All things is entirely set up to show that Mulder and Scully have started sleeping together. Some of the worst stuff in seasons 7-9 is stuff they did to tease the "shippers," with trust no 1 being the worst, as I mentioned above.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
You also have Dean Norris, Ryan Reynolds and the shrink from Law and Order, SVU.

Edit: and Munch is there, as Munch, in one of the unusual suspects episodes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Korak posted:

I'd start with Arcadia, bonus if you and her have lived in one of those creepy planned communities where everyone is way too nice to each other.

I'd leave Arcadia for later. While it is good on its own, having a better grasp of the characters would help them appreciate it more. Clyde Brookman's is probably a better episode to start with.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Gyshall posted:

My gently caress, I just watched the Cockroach episode last night. I've noticed a change in the writing for this show around season 3, where it seems like the characters are coming into their own a little bit more. I thought the bits with Mulder calling Scully at home and Scully debunking Mulder's theories without batting an eye were pretty great.

There are a couple of things driving the change in writing. Vince Gilligan and John Shiban joined the writing staff for the show (Gilligan's first credit is in season 2 with soft light, but that script is what got him the job, as he wrote it as a fan and submitted it to Carter, who then made the episode and hired him) and Morgan and Wong, who wrote so many of the early stand alone episodes, left during the 3rd season (they come back later).

The next big shift in tone happens after the 5th season. First 5 seasons were shot in Vancouver, and then they switch over to LA. Which means a lot less of the literally dark episodes and more of the comedic ones.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

david_a posted:

Outside of the overall myth-arc story being stupid, do the actual myth-arc episodes get bad at some point? I'm trying to justify abandoning the mythology since I know it leads nowhere good, but it's still pretty good so far (I just started S4).

Oh Brian Thompson... He possibly has the greatest 'natural talent' for playing an evil badass ever:

by that I mean he has the giantest mouth

I love how the shapeshifters can magically heal bullet wounds and severe brain damage in humans, but if they get stung by bees they will have those scars for a month :)

The episodes are mostly fine by themselves. Even season 8 mytharc episodes are decent, even if they don't make much sense. But skip the season 9 ones, maybe even the finale. That is when baby mulder the Christ/antiChrist becomes central. Trust no 1 and the ones about william are fairly weak, and the finale is really a clip show with a mulder/scully kiss thrown in for the "shippers."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
My first exposure to Brian Thompson was fright night part 2:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097390/

And I'll always remember his death scene...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
And he is even shown sleeping on it, apparently naked, with Scully getting dressed next door.

Seriously, this show rivals friends in terms of the whole will they/won't they bit, which as far as I can tell was a first for a non-sitcom show. Hell, I even read an interview with Spotnitz about the second movie where he talks about changing the script a bit to make it ambiguous if they were together for the 1st 1/3 of the movie, only to have the whole scratchy beard scene. Even the much criticized all things is better understood as a long troll on shippers (the episode starts with the aforementioned naked mulder sleeping and scully getting dressed, then goes back in time a week or so and does not end with whatever led to them sleeping together).

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Yannick_B posted:

This is something I actually love about the show, their getting together sort of happens off-screen. Those characters feel like they would be extremely discreet about that.

I agree that things happening off screen is nice. Most of the time they handled the relationship pretty well, like in Pusher, or Je Souhaite, where they imply the feelings and everything without making it the focus. But when they wanted to troll people with the "will they wont they" part, boy was it terrible.

My point was about the times they specifically mess with the story to sort of fake out that something will happen on screen. In "all things," the entire plot is there precisely to tease showing them together on screen. Or, as I mentioned, the second movie: there was an interview with either Carter or Spotnitz where they discuss both editing the script and the movie to play up them being in bed together. They intentionally made their on screen relationship early in the movie a bit chilly so people wouldn't know that they were together, and then specifically edited the bedroom scene so that them being in bed together was a surprise. And then there is the worst culprit of all: trust no 1, which is about Scully missing Mulder so much she asks him to come back, and the entire story is about whether or not he is in the train that is going her way.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

haveblue posted:

It's more that unlike a lot of shows they never show the exact moment where they decided to give it a go, instead they just reveal at some point that they've become an item in the recent past.

While we are never shown when they start being together, there is a retcon to their relationship. The retcon is that in season 8 there is an episode where they show through flashbacks an unspecified time in the past where Mulder and Scully were trying to have a baby through in vitro fertilization unsuccessfully. Which was doubly annoying because they would only have Duchovny for 8 episodes that season and decided to use up one of his episodes to just have him in flashbacks discussing babies and pregnancy with Scully.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Basebf555 posted:

I always felt like the baby thing was kind of an in-between issue. Scully decided she wanted a baby and when she thought about who the father should be she realized Mulder was her closest friend at that point and one of the few people she trusted. Even in their retcon, wasn't all that theoretically before they were "together". I thought they were only officially together after the show ended(as shown in the recent movie).

"Officially," we never know when they are together.
Even in the movie, where they are supposedly living together, there is a falling out scene that indicates that she may be moving out.
There are no "real" answers, ever. If you go around the x files forums and so on you will have people saying anything from they are together since after the 1st movie to they were only briefly together after the series is over.

But I think the discussion of "when" isn't a very interesting one. To the extent that it exists, as others have mentioned I prefer when it is left in the background and not really discussed. My point about the retcon, as well as stuff like trust no 1 and all things, is that in those instances they make the story entirely about the relationship, even if they don't provide any answers. And they are terrible.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Feb 4, 2014

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

WarEternal posted:

I feel like most people don't dislike it that much, but I think it's a terrible episode because it seems really, really out of character for Scully.

howe_sam posted:

Yeah, all things felt to me more like Gillian Anderson doing stuff than Scully.

cenotaph posted:

I thought it being out of character was the whole point. She's dealing with the cancer and basically goes on a bender.

marktheando posted:

Actually the episode was moved, it wasn't originally supposed to be part of the cancer storyline. Gillian Anderson said she would have played it differently if she had known she was supposed to have cancer.

Just to clarify:
"all things" is a season 7 episode that starts with the implication that Mulder and Scully slept together, then goes back a week and show that as the end result of Scully having to decide whether or not to go back to a former professor she had a relationship with as a student.

"Never again" is a fourth season episode which is the one that was moved and was about a tattoo.

Just pointing it out because it seemed to me that the conversation crossed over somewhere.

Paradox Personified posted:

Same. I finally know I'm apparently the only human being alive to have enjoyed, if not loved, "all things," and bought the 7th season dvd set just because Anderson was involved with the creation of it so heavily.

Hell, it's even at the top of a 30-item list of her favourite memories from the show over on her website, here's part;

In a different show or a different point in time, that story might have been fine. But I felt that the story felt really out of place and the whole story with Scully being not only still messed up by her relationship with her former professor, but because the alternative medicine part felt really tacked on and contrived.

It felt to me like 60% of a good episode: some really strong parts and dialogues, with some stuff that felt more like excuses to get from A to B forced on. And it makes sense that it felt like that, since Anderson herself admits that Carter and Spotnitz came to her to make sure she changed the script to acknowledge Mulder and Scully together. Scully learning to have an open mind once Mulder is away from her is a decent idea. The whole thing being done as a precursor to satisfying shippers felt forced.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

marktheando posted:

Home isn't grim? Small Potatoes is funny, but the playing of rape for laughs does make me uncomfortable.

Yeah, both small potatoes and post-modern prometheus have a weird handwaving of rape with the whole "but they like their babies" at the end that makes them a bit unsettling.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

I've been watching the show through from the beginning and I'm presently trying* to get through season seven. There's been some very good episodes but they don't seem to have had as much of a direction for the show since "Two Fathers" / "One Son". I mean, I knew when I got into it that it would eventually become "Chris Carter was making the mythology up as he went along" but even the mythology episodes ("Sein und Zeit" / "Closure" for example) seem to be slightly wanting.

* I say "trying" because my laptop seems to have this defect where it sometimes won't play TV series DVDs; movies are fine but with TV shows - especially when they're from a box set - it's a flip of a coin whether they'll work when you put the disc in the tray and close it; lots of whirring and clicking and chugging for some reason.

Show was initially set to end after season 7, and the main mythology had pretty much been wrapped up by season 6. So if looks like the mythology was running out of steam, it was because the show was about to end, and then they wanted to continue it as a series of movies.

And then most fox dramas flopped or were cancelled. Chris Carter himself had created a new show, Harsh Realm, which bombed was cancelled after a few shows. Party of five was also cancelled. As a result, I remember a Chris Carter interview where he said that they didn't even know if the show would continue as they were filming the last episode of season 7, and so they recorded two endings. If I recall correctly, they ended up agreeing on an extension less than 2 weeks from the airing of the season 7 conclusion.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Chris Carter, Frank Spotnitz, Duchovny and Anderson have all been pretty gung ho about wanting to do a third movie. Just like with the 2nd one, it has been Fox (who owns the franchise) that is not interested.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The thing about Chinga is that I fully expected King to be able to write something that would fit right in with the show. A ton of monster of the week episodes feel just like Stephen King's short stories: something unnatural may be happening, it is revealed that it is indeed something unnatural but the specific details are not provided, and then there is a sort of conclusion that is not a definitive conclusion. And then when you actually get King writing for the show, it sucks.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Octy posted:

Can someone explain to me the deal with the Alien Bounty Hunter? I don't know whether to spoil it, but we see Brian Thompson's character die at the start of season 8, and then it's revealed he was just one of many bounty hunters who all took the form of Brian Thompson (and who wouldn't?). Was this always part of the character's conceptual history that I missed when he first appeared in season 2 or thereabouts?

There were always many Brian Thompsons. Even the rebel aliens are supposed to be eyeless, noseless, mouthless Brian Thompsons.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Season 8 resets the mytharc, but it is not like they have any more of a clue about what they are doing then.

When they do dig up Mulder they have a whole mini-drama with Krycek with regards to the black oil vaccine... only to learn that good old fashioned "antiviral therapy" kills the super soldier virus.

Not to mention the season 8 finale, which is so nonsensical that it led to the worst part of the mytharc for the entire series. After the army of supersoldiers pursue and almost kill Scully a number of times, it turns out they only did all of that to make sure she delivered the baby safely. Of course, this made no sense, which is why in season 9 they introduced the whole "William is alternatively the Christ or the AntiChrist, depending on whether Mulder is alive" to try to explain the season 8 finale.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Slate Action posted:

I think the idea for the second movie was to ease back into the setting and set the stage for a third movie that would get back to the conspiracy plotline, maybe address some of the complaints fans had about the ending of the series. Of course, the second movie bombed so we're never actually getting a third.

The problem with that is that it makes no sense. We ended the show with a definitive date for the end of the world as we know it, and with the FBI not only knowing that, but so much a part of the conspiracy that they sentence Mulder to death. And then with the literal end of the world hanging over their heads, both the conspirators and Mulder decide to call a truth to check out if a pedophile priest is telling the truth over visions that may or may not be related to a serial killer.

It's like making "ewoks:the battle for endor" instead of return of the jedi as the sequel to empire.

joepinetree fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 1, 2014

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Charlie Mopps posted:

I've just finished season 8 and it was not as bad as I expected it to be. Not as good as the seasons before it, but still. Doggett is cool, even though he too suffers a bit from denying everything even if it hits him straight in the face. Scully going from 'nope, nothing supernatural exists' straight into 'good god Doggett, how can you not believe its obviously a human-bat that has hold a grudge for the past 50 years?!' felt a bit forced.

I couldnt help but laugh at how obvious the birth of Scully's baby was compared to the birth of Jesus though. But using the Lone Gunmen as the three wise men was pretty funny.

In season 9 Scully's baby becomes Schrodinger's Messiah: he will exist simultaneously as the potential savior and destroyer of humanity.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
It is a little weird to discuss Scully as always the victim when in most of the big mytharc episodes Mulder is the one needing rescue.

Season one ends with Mulder kidnapped and Scully having to retrieve the alien fetus to exchange for him. Season 2 Mulder is going insane and Scully has to shoot him to prevent him from falling into a trap, and he ends up unconscious at the end anyways. Season 4/5 is Mulder on the run and Scully covering up for him by pretending he is dead. 6/7 is Mulder in a coma and Scully saving him, and 7 through the end it is Mulder abducted/dead/infected and Scully saving him. Then there is the one with the submarine and Mulder on ice where Scully saves him (don't remember the season). Other than Scully's cancer and the 1st movie, the mytharc is all about Mulder in trouble and Scully saving him.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

cenotaph posted:

This is my primary objection to that episode. The episode is basically lighthearted because it told us it is. The events depicted are really horrifying and you're just supposed to be ok with it because...? It's too bad the production values are so good because the story is a complete miss.

That and Small Potatoes. Je Souhaite is a much better "light hearted" episode than either.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Just posting to thank whoever mentioned the x-files files. Really good podcast.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Polaron posted:

Oh man, the garbage monster episode in the suburbs. That entire episode is comedy gold simply because of how Mulder and Scully bounce off of each other and their location. Granted, I tend to like the MotW episodes over the mytharc ones simply because it felt like the writers could get a little wackier (Triangle, X-COPS).

At the time, it was pretty funny how people reacted to mytharc vs motw. Early on in the series people would look forward to mytharc episodes and be pretty disappointed when it was a MOTW. That reverses some time after the 1st movie, when people knew a mytharc episode would be another punt.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Exploder posted:

Not anything this substantial, and nothing that was ever been confirmed by FOX or Carter's camp. It looks like they are actually making some progress this time. This is pretty exciting news, but I wouldn't get my hopes up TOO high.

Carter, along with Spotnitz, Duchovny and Anderson have always said that they would want to do a 3rd movie and were a little less clear on a tv product. Carter in the past even talked about working on the script. Fox people have also always said that they'd be "open" to it. This news is only slightly more significant in that the Fox executive said that talks are ongoing.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

I've not seen Millennium before, aside from the finale episode absorbed into The X-Files (I'd no idea what was going on). How was it? Worth tracking down, maybe?

Millenium''s quality is like the x-files sped up. Great first season, mediocre 2nd season, and weird 3rd season that doesn't really fit with the 2nd.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

pahuyuth posted:

I loves me some Millenium. Gonna get my box set out and binge. For a long time the pilot and the X-files episode 'Home' (yeah you know that one) were the creepiest things I had ever seen on TV.

In the article I read about Fox bringing the X-files back, they also mentioned resurrecting 'Prison Break' and more '24'. Holky gently caress I'd love more PB!

My feeling is that any of those would do great as short event series. As much as I love the X-files I'm not sure how well it would work as a regular series today. The era in which the show aired was as big of a part to its success as the writing etc.

Edit: Found the article where Prison Break, X-Files, and 24 are all mentioned

It wouldn't be a long engagement anyways. Gillian Anderson lives in London and already said that it would have to work with her schedule, which a 24 episode season wouldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Exploder posted:

Oh boy, Vince Gilligan getting involved in the X-Files reboot would be like a nerdy wet dream for me. I can only imagine the possibilities. That is who you want in the writer's room when developing the mytharc. He did express interest in re-mastering the X-Files, at the very least, on the Breaking Bad insider podcast. And he speaks fondly of his time working on the show. I just don't know, I get the impression that he has moved on from the X-Files. He has kind of built a decent career for himself doing his own thing, and unless Better Call Saul is a huge flop (which I'm hoping it isn't), I don't really see it happening.

Even if Better Call Saul was a huge flop, I doubt Gilligan would be back. The mytharc is Carter's baby, while Gilligan was more of a monster of the week guy (which you can tell by their post Xfiles careers). Not to mention that it would be hugely awkward to get Gilligan, who is far more successful and talented, to play second fiddle on someone else's show. Same for Morgan and Wong.

• Locked thread